PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle 8/11+12 Cat City!

ken_fishnfool
08-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Met up with a friend who's parents were visiting from out of town on 8/11. I told him a spot to try in the afternoon and a couple of morning spots to try while I dragged my lazy but out of bed and got my stuff together... 84 was closed due to s bad accident so I came all the way around 680 to 580 and thru town, I was really late. Launched my kayak around 9:30 and fished bass up the narrows. I saw a boat about 80 feet from where I told them and decided to come over to say Hi (after nailing a 9 pound cat and a two pound bass). So I asked "how are you doing" and "did you know you're in the wrong spot" and he says we're doing alright! I asked to see the "few" they got so far...He pulled up one stringer full... then another stringer full... then another stringer full... all the while Mom and Dad just grinned big grins! Well they had caught about 10 each for the morning bite, averaging 3.5 pounds, all nice fat healthy cats. After chatting a while and showing off my one cat I anchored in my afternoon spot and caught 4 while they watched and mentioned that it had slowed way down after 11:00 or so. They finally decided to tour the lake and I got 3 more while they were gone. After they left for the day I started to catch little stripers in between cat bites. Oh what fun! ;D
They came back for the morning on Friday and I convinced a friend of ours to try the hot bite, so we fished towards my afternoon spot while they set up on the same spot as the day before. Easy limits (although it was a little slower morning than the day before)!
After thier limits (average 4 pounds) they left at lunch while my other friend and I stayed for the afternoon bite.
Our score for the day... My buddy with 20 cats to 6 pounds, me with 16 cats to 6 pounds and a half-dozen stripers each (to 15 inches) and a couple of squawfish trown in.
HOT,HOT,HOT bite.
All cats were caught on chicken liver and anchovies. :D
This lake can be soooooo goooood if you can find the spot!

P.S. These were all fat holdover fish. Only three of more than 100 were recent(this years) planters. And we did not keep them all! There are still plenty more in this lake. ;)

Zepplock
08-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Isn't there a 5 cats limit?

doccjc
08-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Im taking my son this weekend to Del Valle,,, He is looking to catch his first catfish,,, I hear they are biting,,, We've tried lake chabot 3 times,,,skunked 3 times,,, hoping we can get that first catfish,,,so anyone going to tell us where some of the hot spots are? we'll bring chicken livers, and mackerel,,, ,Anchoives recommended? We;ll try anything

Erreck
08-16-2005, 06:28 AM
Isn't there a 5 cats limit?

No limit on cats in Ca. waters. Except those limits put in place by individual lake policy. I've never heard of any lake putting a limit on cats, but it's possible. Especially in smaller bodies of water or private lakes.

Zepplock
08-16-2005, 08:07 AM
No limit on cats in Ca. waters. Except those limits put in place by individual lake policy. I've never heard of any lake putting a limit on cats, but it's possible. Especially in smaller bodies of water or private lakes.

The piece of green paper (fishing permit) taht you get when you ender Del Valle lake clearly states : Catfish - 5

ken_fishnfool
08-16-2005, 09:09 AM
The Limit on channel cats is 5 each person per day unless otherwise specified in the reg's. My friends only kept 5 each both days and I C&R'd all of mine (except for the big one as a friend wanted to cook up a special dish, If I got a big one, and it turned out real good). :P

doccjc are you going to be fishing from a boat? PM me and maybe I can show you a couple of spots. Bring a lot of #6 hooks and chicken liver. ;)

badbobfishing33
08-19-2005, 07:54 AM
limits or not....what are you going to do with 20 catfish up to 6 pounds....give me a break.....keep five which is still a bunch and you can eat all week...what a waste people like you is why there are limited numbers of fish in some lakes. Just because you can does not mean you should. And for the record yeah it's 5 fish a day dumb ass call them and ask 5 fish limit...you poacher!

ken_fishnfool
08-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Hey badbob, was that poacher *comment directed at me?
If so I will tell you that I catch hundreds and hundreds of fish each year and let go more than 98% of them. I no longer eat a lot of fish but have many good friends that do and don't have any qualms about keeping a few now and again, always within the law. I studied marine and fisheries biology and totally understand how fishing impacts fish populationsand have also done my own research in my favorite lakes. There are resons for limits and I and everybody that fishes with me follow the law.
Those cats fed over 15 people so get off of my case! :'( (with enough leftovers for another BBQ this weekend)
I posted these results of a couple of good days fishing to share.
I have gotten good response so far. As a matter of fact, a newbe sniffer is fishing that same spot right now and catching some of the fish we let go. And I am going to meet another sniffer this weekend to share some more.

It only takes one bad apple... so have a little respect, and ,although you are intitled to your opinion, I find offense in your judgement of me and will be much more reticent of what I post on these forums. I have turned in poachers! I AIN'T one! :-X
Read the story do the math: Day 1, 4 people,3 limits+1 big one kept=16 went home. Day 2, 5 people, 3 limits kept=15 went home.
Whats illegal about that? I can keep fishing if I don't have a limit. Where am I a poacher? ???

And, for your information, they have already planted over 2,500 pounds of catfish, so far, this summer, in this lake.So I have absolutly no impact on the cat population at this lake. Don't use ME as an excuse why you can't catch them. :P

Wolf74
08-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Hey man, some people have big familys to feed. For example I eat everything I catch and if I'm full I provide meat to people that I know will apprecate it and enjoy it which is my family. If the law says that I can catch 5 cats per day, then thats what I will do. If I know I'm not going to eat all of then then yes I might return some, but sometimes I keep them to feed other people. But if your following the regs then I don't see how anyone keeping their LIMIT and following the law can be a poacher.

Mr.Pescador
08-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Just for the record,I've fished with Ken and he knows the rules and respects the fishery.Catching and keeping LIMITS is NOT poaching!
People should read the whole thread before going off half cocked and flaming others!
My 2 cents.

highasakite
08-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Ken, Don't let a few people who really don't understand get you down.

I do appreaciate the reports and info you willingly provide about my favorite lake.

We should go out fishing again soon. Mr.Pescador and I have been out in my boat about 5 times over the last month and have done really well dropshotting for bass and lately catfishing in the narrows. We are heading out tomorrow morning with our girls to get them into about 20 cats or so. We might even keep a few for dinner :) I hope Badbob doesnt get upset about that. ;)

Jon

KingCrab
08-21-2005, 10:06 PM
ken_fishnfool, nice meeting you today (8-21-05). I ended the day with two #4 cats on hotdog and chicken liver. No bass today. I was fishing on the black Zodiac.

ken_fishnfool
08-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Nice meeting you too King Crab! That's quite a settup you have on that liitle raft!

Good to bump into Highasakite and Mr. Pescador again also. Those girls know how to catch! :o :P
The hot bite didn't really get going (too much food in the water?) but it was fun to catch a few. There are still plenty of cats out there.
Hope to fish with you guys again. ;)

h00kie
08-26-2005, 07:56 AM
Sounds like good times Ken, congrats. I'm really impressed w/ your knowledge of the lake and its seasonal patterns.
Sorry to see someone sour up a nice report.

Fish On!!