PDA

View Full Version : LIVERS?

mrs._fish
05-11-2004, 12:39 PM
HI ALL,
I KNOW ABOUT USING CHICKEN LIVERS BUT HAS ANYONE USED BEEF LIVERS FOR THE PUDDY TATS?ALSO BEEN CATCHING A FEW CATS BY THE BRIDGE AT WHIMPYS IN WALNUT GROVE. ANY THING STARTING TO GET GOING ELSEWHERE. THANKS TO ALL.

ken_fishnfool
05-11-2004, 12:50 PM
I have but they don't seem to stay on the hook as well and are harder to cut (too thick). They caught fish but nowhere near as many as when I use fresh chicken or turkey livers.
After 40 years of fishing I must share with you that NOTHING beats fresh spanish mackeral, fileted and cut into chunks and hooked onto a #5/0 Gamagatsu hook, with a small split shot for weight, if any. This is my anytime anywhere, gone a get a kitty, bait! ;D

fishinduo
05-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Now, the Spanish Mackeral are the ones that are smaller, more the size of a sardine, right??
If this is correct, I can see why, they seem to have a much stronger odor than their larger cousins.
Raley's sometimes has them in their meat (seafood) department. (And if you ask, they might bring some in for you...)

Rich

ken_fishnfool
05-14-2004, 03:49 PM
No, the Spanish mackarel are about 11 to 15 inches long and the only way to be sure is to look at the meat color. The white meat ones don't work as nearly as good as the reddish colored meat.

fishinduo
05-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the clarification...

Rich

Catfish_Bob
05-15-2004, 05:39 PM
The only real luck I've had with beef liver is to cut it in strips and soak in milk in the sun until well soured.Not to long as it will get so ripe it will gag a fly.

eatonroadkil
08-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Anyone know where to get Spanish mackeral?

ken_fishnfool
08-09-2005, 03:15 PM
It starts showing up in the Oriental fish markets about this time of year. I haven't seen any yet, but this year is different weather. I have seen it at Safeway once in a while (San Jose).
Spanish Mackeral has a more goldish/yelowish belly and a darker green/black mottling on its back. The best is fresh...never frozen, about 15-16 inches long.
(Frozen works, sort of, but I chunk it up before freezing) ;D

No worries though,Chicken Liver is killing them at Del Valle right now. ;) :P

eatonroadkil
08-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Is Del Valle in the Bay Area?Sorry i'm unfamiliar with it.

ken_fishnfool
08-09-2005, 04:06 PM
It's in the hills behind Livermore. About 20 minutes from Highway 580.
Click on "Fish Sniffer Reports" at the top left of this page, click on "San Francisco Bay" and scroll down to the bottom of that page. Click on "Lake Del Valle" and you'll see a map.
You can also find directions and reports at norcalfishing.com ;)

fishrman4life
08-10-2005, 01:36 AM
livers rule in the bait department :)

eatonroadkil
08-10-2005, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the info KFNF.By the way used some livers in the Port last night and didn't catch squat.Switched to clams and as usual caught cat after cat.They really like their clams in the Port for some reason.At least last night.

JIM_D.
08-10-2005, 04:05 AM
Most of the time you can get spanish mackeral at seafood city on Mack rd. In the port, clams have always been best. JIM D.

eatonroadkil
08-10-2005, 02:09 PM
Seafood city?That's my old hood.I don't rememeber that place.Must be new huh...LOL

JIM_D.
08-10-2005, 03:46 PM
It is where target used to be. JIM D.

eatonroadkil
08-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Oh i'm sorry JimD I thought you were joking.You are serious right?If so I'll pick some up on my next trip out that way.

fishrman4life
08-10-2005, 10:24 PM
you should, ive caught all my cats on liver

JIM_D.
08-11-2005, 02:03 AM
You can get chicken livers, spanish mackeral and sardines at seafood city. JIM D.

JD
08-11-2005, 11:20 AM
What I have been doing lately is soak the liver in sardine oil and garlic. Set it in the sun for two days and wrap pieces in pieces of nylon stocking. Not allowed to do it in the house anymore.

Zepplock
08-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Well all thet hassle with aging bait in milk/oil/etc takes time.

Chicken liver has alot of blood in it - that's why it's so hot. The smell of blood is very strong scent underwater.

Just make sure you put new bait often, since the smell wears out.

By the way I had luck with carp and stripers on chicken liver as well!

Rusty_Hooks
08-13-2005, 11:13 AM
I'm sorry guys but....

IMHO.......chicken livers belong in the frying pan with a little madiera or port and butter.... ::)

That's ok......my wife thinks I'm crazy too ;D...She cooks them for the dog...... >:(

Not if I get to them first!! 8)

Beef liver will give you a bigger piece and a tougher veining to hold onto the hook....

Chicken livers are much too tender and tasty ;D ;D

If you must...there is a trick to keeping chicken livers on.....Steelhead strawberry netting ;D ;D..just don't tie it too tight....they like the gooshy feel ;)

fishrman4life
08-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Rusty, you are sick. Livers are...catfish bait. And when the scent wears off, i dip in bacon grease...works every time 8) 8) 8)

wayneo
08-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Rusty is Right chicken livers are GOOD eatin.livers and hearts :)

JIM_D.
08-13-2005, 04:30 PM
wayneo, you forgot the gizzards, breaded and fried. JIM D.

Wolf74
08-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Back in my early ears in the B.O.C (Brotherhood) the big thing was getting livers and saturating them with garlic. They used to basicly cover the livers in garlic powder and then put them on foil and let them dry outside. A day or so later they'd pick them up and use them for bait. I never tried it myself, but according to them, they were killer.