PDA

View Full Version : Big Ones in Port of SAC

eatonroadkil
08-03-2005, 12:09 AM
I fish Port of Sac regularly with good success catching a bunch of pansize on clams.I was wondering if anyone has had success catching any big ones on different baits there?I've been reading some of the posts and will soon be trying others such as crawdads,minnows,and others possibly.Just wondering if anyone has had any recent success on some big ones.Love all the info in this forum.Thanks people.

JIM_D.
08-03-2005, 07:47 AM
I used to fish the port a lot, never have caught anything real big there as far as catfish go. Lots of nice pan size fish. JIM D.

rymerpt
08-03-2005, 03:21 PM
If you mean the deep water channel area near Jefferson Blvd. I have caught them up to around 3 lbs. I have seen decent stripers, but the cats all seem smaller. They are the best eating though, so all good for my taste.

eatonroadkil
08-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Yes i'm talking about Deep water channel near port docks.I've had good success on nice little eaters myself,no complaints here.Just thinking that there has to be some big ones out there.I imagine I get one someday and if not the action on the small ones is enough to keep me going.

JIM_D.
08-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Back in the 70's they had a big fire in the wood chips at the port, the runoff from putting the fire out killed all the bigger catfish in the channel. You would think they would have come back by now but haven't caught a large cat there since the fire. JIM D. PS. anybody else remember the fire?

Wolf74
08-03-2005, 10:11 PM
It was before my time. I always wondered why it seemed that not many huge cats come out of the Delta. I could be wrong but it seems that most of the bigger cats come from lakes instead of the waterways. I'm just at a loss as to why.

eatonroadkil
08-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Wow didn't know about the fire,was before my time as well.Nice info though,thanks JimD.Just got back from Port.Took my daughters they each caught some and had fun so another successful trip.Still waiting for the elusive big one.

sehoner
08-03-2005, 10:24 PM
ya ive been fishing the dwc for like 14 years and have never caught anything bigger than 4lbs. and that was a couple of years ago. but i still love to fish that place, even though the fishin isnt anywhere near as good as it was back when u had to hike it in. but oh well. still beautiful at night.
;D

eatonroadkil
08-03-2005, 10:41 PM
On my way to DWC tonight saw some pictures of folks with some nice ones they claimed to catch there recently.One 10 pounder and one 11.Never caught gigger than 2 pounder myself.They caught them off sardines and chicken liver.I've only been using clams of late.

eatonroadkil
08-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Forgot to mention I saw pics at Penny Bait.

eatonroadkil
08-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Still no "gigger" than 2 pounds tonight for me though.Oh whoops I mean bigger.

sehoner
08-03-2005, 10:45 PM
ya i saw those pics earlier today. that 11#er was caught on roe.

STURGEONSTOMPER
08-03-2005, 10:47 PM
It was before my time. I always wondered why it seemed that not many huge cats come out of the Delta. I could be wrong but it seems that most of the bigger cats come from lakes instead of the waterways. I'm just at a loss as to why.

Trash, dirt, polution bro ;)

Ive seen 20lbrs years ago :-/

eatonroadkil
08-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Yeah there a quite a few idiots who are ruining it out there.I have a few nice spots that are clean and comfortable,but alot of trash and crap out there.

kromebrite
08-04-2005, 10:14 AM
consider the toe drain(Lisbon Slough) for the larger cats. Hike out aways, given the amount of pressure that place gets nowadays.

JIM_D.
08-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Like Wolf74 said, most of the biguns come from lakes like clear lake. I guess they have to be there, but I have never caught anything bigger than 4 lbs at the port or the delta. Goin to take my three grandsons to miner tomorrow for some cats. I just want them to catch something so they don't get disspirted about fishing. JIM D.

Finesse
08-06-2005, 04:07 PM
ive seen alot more big striper then big cats come out of DWC.

duckhunter916
08-07-2005, 02:57 PM
saw some guys pull out some 8-10# stripers out of there last year

Americansteel
08-07-2005, 09:58 PM
me either no big ones outta the port for me. as of teh bigger fish are outta lakes. mostly true. ive pulled my share of 5 -10 lb cats outta moving water.

fishrman4life
08-08-2005, 12:46 AM
ya gotta fish the sac in the coves with livers, thats the key, im sure there are some nice fish in there, you just gotta find em

JIM_D.
08-08-2005, 05:00 AM
I have seen plenty of nice size stripers come out of the DWC, bait fishing and trolling but the cats are nice pan sized if you like to have a fishfry. JIM D.

eatonroadkil
08-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Anyone eat the cats caught out of the Port?I have yet to keep any of the ones I catch; not sure if they are any good,and don't want to waste them.I think they are bullheads but not sure.Do certain types of catfish taste better than others?On another note:I usually just cut the line if the catfish I catch has swallowed the hook,as I have read that they will live and the hook will one day will come out.Does this apply to shaker stripers as well?Are they as tough as the cats?

Try_em_all
08-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Fished the port on sunday. Bunch of cats in the 1-3lb range. But did see some guys on the other side catching stripers one after another. Quite of few keepers too. They must of caught about 20 stripers, then their buddies came...now there's about 10 people catching them one after another. Couldn't quite tell what they were using because when there line would hit the water i saw just one splash, didnt see any weight. MMMMMM. Their bait looked shiny. Shad maybe? Any ideas? They sure did catch a lot of stripers.

eatonroadkil
08-10-2005, 01:05 PM
I guess we're on the wrong side then.If you don't mind saying,about how far down were they?What are you catching your cats on?I went out last night to Port and tried livers instead of the normal clams.Couldn't stop catching shaker stripers.Only 3 little catfish,and those were on the few clams I had.Also caught some type of fish I haven't seen before there.It was thin,about only 10",and silver with black spots.I think it was my sardine that escaped my bait box.Who knows?

AllFishNoWork
08-11-2005, 08:27 AM
I haven't been to the DWC this year. Last year I think we caught 1 cat of size, maybe 4 lbs, out of 7 or so trips. But did catch 100's of shaker stripers will a few barely legal keepers. The little ones love the livers, the minute it hit the water they were all over it.

Eaton, you may want to consider camping one night at Amador, get a spot in "camp cove" and keep lines out all night. You may get nothin, you may get 20 and they can run BIG there.