PDA

View Full Version : catfish as a pet

usarfang
07-21-2005, 08:44 AM
can you keep a catfish as a pet that has a hook in it? i kind of don't want to kill the catfish i caught.... if so, how long can they survive for in a sink?

Erreck
07-21-2005, 09:30 AM
You don't "have" to keep any fish that still has the hook in it. Yes, the mortality rate is higher, but a large majority of fish caught with deep hook sets can and do survive if released.

That being said, Ca. DFG does not have any specific regulation on the transport/keeping of catfish for private use/ownership.

Depending on the size of the fish and what you plan on feeding it, chances are it won't last long in a sink.

If you plan on keeping the fish, move it to an aquarium or pond with enough room to roam and food to eat.

panfish_popper
07-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I dont think it would survive in a sink. Maybe if you have a nice fish tank and the right equipment then it has a bigger chance. In the pet stores near my house they sell all different kinds of pet catfish including albinos. If you really want a pet catfish, then buy one from a pet store.

JIM_D.
07-21-2005, 01:55 PM
I have kept up to 29 cats of different sizes in a back yard aquarium for up to 2 weeks, cleaned and ate them a few at a time. They are much better when they are freshly killed. I have very good filtration in the tank and fed them red worms and hot dogs. Right now I have crawdads in the tank. JIM D.

Diego916
07-21-2005, 02:34 PM
When I was a kid I captured a dozen or so baby bull heads with a pool net in a creek. I put them in a bucket of creek water, put the bucket on the handlebars of my bike, and walked home. Took me about an hour in full summer sun. I then put them in a 35 gallon octagon tank with an undergavel filter powered by an air stone. I didn't know any better, so I just used tap water. At first, I fed them fish flakes and tubeflex worms. I then switched to crickets and koi food. They were voracious feeders and produce a ton of waste. They grew fast, even though I RARELY changed any water. When the water smelled bad, I changed it and cleaned the gravel. I eventually grew bored of them and let them go a few at a time, trying instead to keep bluegill, which proved to be just as hardy as the cats.

I'd be interested to know if a gut hooked cat can survive being hooked and landed, transported, and being transplanted into a new habitat. For a 12 in or smaller cat, I'd recommend the aquarium setup above, only make sure and condition the tap water and change 20% of the water every week. Let us know if you try it!

mike22ca
07-21-2005, 03:31 PM
My buddy used to have a old above ground swimming pool in his back yard and used to put catfish in it all the time. None of them died, they lived pretty well in there actually.

fishn4me
07-21-2005, 05:17 PM
I caught a 3 pounder, brought in home in a Walmart bag (hour drive) it was still alive so I through it in my small pond. It lived for over a year and finally died while eatting a crawdad. I fed it dog food, minnows, crawdads, frogs, and other scraps.

usarfang
07-21-2005, 08:46 PM
the fish died this morning, i gutted it right after it died and cut the head off and washed the skin with hot water and washed off all those sticky nasty gooey stuff. right now its in the freezer, is it still save to eat?

Diego916
07-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Crawdad trap bait ;D

usarfang
07-22-2005, 03:18 PM
so is it still safe to eat my dead frozen catfish that has been put in a contaner with ice since thursday morning when it died??

JIM_D.
07-22-2005, 07:45 PM
If it died on it's own, I wouldn't eat it but it is most likely still safe to eat. waste not want not. JIM D.

fishn4me
07-23-2005, 10:20 AM
I would say crawdad bait is safer :P

Collegebound
07-24-2005, 05:30 AM
I'd go with the crawdad bait. Things that die a natural (semi-natural in this case) death usually aren't good eating. I've heard that bluegill make amazing fertilizer, you could try catfish. :)

vito
07-26-2005, 03:46 PM
I had a catfish that I caught at Folsom Lake as a pet for 3 years in a 10 gallon aquarium. I brought it to San Luis Obispo in a coffee can - 5 hour drive - and it survived just fine< until some idiot poured beer in the aquarium...

Wolf74
07-26-2005, 06:44 PM
I've noticed that catfish and carp are the two fish that just seem to live forever. You can keep them on a stringer for hours and take them home and they're still kicking.

JIM_D.
07-27-2005, 06:05 AM
I don't know about carp, but catfish are a VERY hardy breed and can live under some very extream conditions. JIM D.

Wolf74
07-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Yep, I wish i lived as long as a catfish ;D

Fishkiller_Jr.
08-04-2005, 12:58 PM
:)Im pretty sure we all do :)

Fishkiller_Jr.
08-04-2005, 01:00 PM
???maybe ???

BassFooler
08-04-2005, 01:01 PM
I had a catfish that I caught at Folsom Lake as a pet for 3 years in a 10 gallon aquarium. I brought it to San Luis Obispo in a coffee can - 5 hour drive - and it survived just fine< until some idiot poured beer in the aquarium...

mmmmmmmmmmm beer battered catfish.... ;D

JIM_D.
08-04-2005, 02:12 PM
I have a 4in. cat in a 10 gallon tank in my house right now.I feed him redworms and baby swordtails and mollys. JIM D.

Wolf74
08-04-2005, 03:24 PM
You gonna eat em when he gets big?

sehoner
08-04-2005, 05:59 PM
ya i have been trying to catch a lil channel or somethin for my tank. caught one the other night. i was usin a k15 with a wrap on a 4oz slidin rig, i get some hits and reel up to check my bait. im like my lure aint workin right i gotta re-tune it. nah the lure was workin fine, i just had a cat on there that was and i swear to god, no bigger than the k15! tried to keep the lil bugger but it died like five minutes later. that lil 6" cat had a 6/0 hook in its mouth. i could barely get my thumb in its mouth to get the hook out. that was funny. poor lil *******.

JIM_D.
08-05-2005, 05:51 AM
I will probley release him in a pond somewhere. JIM D.