PDA

View Full Version : Overnight safe spots

BassFooler
07-20-2005, 07:27 AM
Hey all- the topic was raised on another post about the safety/danger of Hogback when night fishing- there seems to be a decent amount of break-in activity of vehicles that are parked there at night. So the question arises, that of all your favorite river and delta spots to launch, where do you feel the most comfortable leaving your vehicle?
I figure the responses might save a few 'sniffers some grief and maybe point out some new hot spots for those with less experience.
Thanks all!
Tight lines-

BF

freddy45
07-20-2005, 08:48 PM
this is a very very good thread! I haven't done much night fishing..so I really don't have a say on this, but what I do have a say on is DOGS! I don't know about you guys, but I can't stand DOGS! Watch out for those suckers..one night I was fishing with a buddy of mine and when we were heading back to the car there was a loose dog which scared the crap out of both of us. I'm not scared of dogs, but I can't stand one that is loose, they're very dangerous and unpredictable animanls! I hate it when owners bring their dogs unleashed to a lake where it clearly says DOGS MUST BE KEPT ON LEASHES..and the dogs are running around like savage animals barking at people..and when they start coming towards you and start barking the owner always says "don't worry he doesnt bite." YEAH RIGHT...yeah if i was he owner he wouldnt bite me! Just becareful guys...I suggest you guys carry mace with you whenever you go fishing...especially alone..and its always good to study some form of combat fighting!

JIM_D.
07-21-2005, 05:28 AM
You have to be more aware if there is 3 or more dogs, when they run in packs even the most friendly dogs are mean. JIM D.

BassFooler
07-21-2005, 07:17 AM
I have honestly never thought about mace or pepper spray- but I guess in reality- its not a terrible idea. I do keep with me however a 6 D Maglite.... ;D Swwiiiiing batter! Of course, with a 100lb mutt on my arm, I dont know how much good it would do :-/
Either way- being aware of your surroundings is always your best bet to begin with.

Erreck
07-21-2005, 08:18 AM
I'm always prepared!!!

http://www.port-orange.org/police/images/glock.jpg

;) ;)

BassFooler
07-21-2005, 11:22 AM
That'll teach'em!

Erreck
07-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Actually, I prefer my Glock 21C for defense over the 22. The 21C is a 45ACP with compensation (drawback= it kills your night vision!). The 22 is a good "all around" S&W .40 and gets the job done (so to speak).

I love guns! ;D

duckhunter916
07-21-2005, 01:15 PM
when i go night fishn i bring the 12 gauge

hundx4
07-21-2005, 05:07 PM
I can see having a gun for protection against people. However it sounds like you guys have major issues with dogs. I take my dogs fishing, they are fully contained. Not only that they instantly let me know if someone's lurking around. Being a woman I need that. I too have an issue with people who let their dogs run loose. My contained dogs almost got nailed at nimbus basin one year by a bigger loose dog. The owner of the dog thought it was funny. I wish I'd had a gun to turn on him quite frankly..... >:( So if i'm fishing and my contained dogs bark at someone to warn me I have no problem with that.

trout_man
07-25-2005, 12:25 PM
i think a contained dog can be a very good fishing buddy.

Diego916
07-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Bear spray. Its relatively cheap, legal (to use on bears), effective, and non-lethal. Big 5 has it for $30.

Don't get me wrong, I like guns. I just prefer to have something I won't hesitate to use if I need to use it ;)

Look into it. Its basically legal pepper spray in a bigger can with one hell of a spray range. Just the fumes from being a few feet from the spray are enough to make you choke, so you can imagine what getting hit with it must feel like :o

vini-v
07-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Works for me, that or i keep a kbar on the tail end of my truck.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5347/500000stungun5hu.jpg

vini-v
07-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Works for me, that or i keep a kbar on the tail end of my truck.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5347/500000stungun5hu.jpg

I think the pepper spray would be better if you don't want to get too close to something keep it at arms reach but that 500K sucker up there almost dropped this 275 pound man to the ground when i stuck the thing on my leg to see how effective it would be LOL good to know you're weapon they say:)

Trout_Terminator
07-25-2005, 05:51 PM
i prefer a M9
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/m9.jpg
Fire Modes: semi-automatic
Effective Range: 50 m
Muzzle Velocity: 390 mps
Reload Time: 2.43 seconds
Ammo: 9 mm NATO
Magazine Capacity: 15 rounds
Weight: 2.6 lbs. (loaded)
i like those stats, how about you?
and it can get the job done...

Erreck
07-25-2005, 08:05 PM
M-9. Better known on the civilian market as the Beretta 92FS. Built for simplicity and standardization of internal components making it affordable for the everyday "let's go shoot cans" kinda person.

It's the gun I taught my wife to shoot with and we still play with it from time to time.

9mm just isn't that great of a self defense round. I'd rather put one round from a .40 or .45 into someone and stop them DEAD! Rather then give them anymore of a chance to get at me by using a slug literally half the size.

JMO

Trout_Terminator
07-25-2005, 08:20 PM
if you wanna stop them in there tracks, then get a M82. .50 slug.

MB_Kevin
07-25-2005, 10:13 PM
i go fishing at candle stick park at night. this is a bad area. Everyone tells me bring pepper spray. I think the 12 gage is a better Idea. all I bing is a 12 pack. I get drunk and I have my knife if anyone decides to get crazy. I have never had a problem sometime some shady people come around but its all good. I guess I would be in trouble if a bunch of guys came but its all an adventure.
I think if you are cool with them they will be cool with you. a dog that is a different story I have ran into in the lakes I fish but its all been OK so far.

AllFishNoWork
07-25-2005, 10:29 PM
I don't carry a "stopper" with me, but there have been times when I would have liked to and if I ever do its gonna be shootin tombstone bullets. IMO, I think it is going to be common place within our childrens lifetimes that everyone will be walking around with a shooter. It saddens me that our civilization is regressing to that.

Erreck
07-26-2005, 07:22 AM
IMO, I think it is going to be common place within our childrens lifetimes that everyone will be walking around with a shooter. It saddens me that our civilization is regressing to that.

I really don't want to get political BUT...

I hope what you have said is true. I don't believe that that would be "regression" by any means. Rather, I think it would be an advancement. It's been undisputedly proven time and time again that, in societies where virtually everyone carries a gun (or has access to one), the percapita crime rate is lower, the percapita violent crime rate is lower, and the rate of all gun crimes is lower. The basic thought behind all that, is that firearms act in two ways; First as a deterant, and second as defensive.

AllFishNoWork
07-26-2005, 07:59 AM
Erreck, you are probably correct and I don't wish to get political either. My only question would be does the number/perecentage of cimes actually go down or just the number of reported crimes goes down?

I guess it is just my vision of a better place where everyone does the right thing just because it is the right thing.

Erreck
07-28-2005, 07:42 AM
I guess it is just my vision of a better place where everyone does the right thing just because it is the right thing.

Couldn't agree more :).

FatCat
07-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Hey all. What a fun discussion! As far as spots go, though, where is a good place to be? I used to fish the slough off of Enterprise blvd. (minors slough?) but things look pretty trashy there now. Is there still access to the port off of Southport parkway? It has really developed since I went there last. Any other spots close to Sac?

Cal.Kellogg
08-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Wow...You guys are under prepared...I never go fishing with out an RPG, a half dozen hand grenades, and M-60 and of course a hand held radio just incase my position is about to be over run and I have to call in an airstrike....

Diego916
08-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Wow...You guys are under prepared...I never go fishing with out an RPG, a half dozen hand grenades, and M-60 and of course a hand held radio just incase my position is about to be over run and I have to call in an airstrike....

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

Wolf74
08-02-2005, 04:26 PM
You just have to be carefull wherever you are. When I was working as a pizza dude in Elk Grove, I got mugged once and had a gun pulled on me another time. And thats in Elk Grove! Just watch your stuff and yourself whenever ya go out to fish or just go out in general.

daystarchis
08-02-2005, 06:29 PM
I often carry a 38 raven when fishing late at night. I do not like to leave my car alone, but it is hard when I take my boat. It seems that fishing is supposed to be relaxing, but it is hard to relax when worried about my truck :-/

Robb

STURGEONSTOMPER
08-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Just bring a loud mouth fishing buddie ;D

He'll keep yea safe ;)

fishkiller
08-02-2005, 07:50 PM
8)Being armed at night out on the water always, .22 9mm .40 I prefer that mine makes holes in engine blocks cat engine blocks. And if there standing or in about across the river firing its the .243 with 4 gen night vision can you say daylight cross hair bang dead game over . nighty night. ;D ;D ;D ;) :o 8)

daystarchis
08-02-2005, 07:57 PM
ROFLOL!!!!! That is great fishkiller. I need to go get one of those night scopes. It will be great for those that leave garbage as well :D

Robb

fishrman4life
08-02-2005, 11:17 PM
dont you have to have a license to carry in the state of california???

Erreck
08-02-2005, 11:51 PM
Yep.

fishkiller
08-03-2005, 03:56 AM
8)Carry what the night scope , go to ebay buy your own, I just got a nice Mkll 6900 scope there from a guy sweet interchangable mounts bore sight it for my 300mag and 7mm I just love new toys. ;) ;D ;D ;D 8)

BassFooler
08-03-2005, 09:21 AM
So, now that we are on page 3...and the subject has moved toward guerilla fishing spot tactics...does anybody actually have any suggestions for OVERNIGHT SAFESPOTS? :-/

Erreck
08-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Good point B.F.!

This has moved a bit into the "shoot 'em up bang! bang! thread".

Safe night spots... ??? ??? ???

About the only public one I know of is on the North side of Lake Oroville... Quite a drive for most of the catfishers :-/. But, this is a place that I would leave my truck for days on end and never worry about it! If I had kids, I'd take them there without a worry! And, access is as easy as pulling into a rest area.

If you're interested. let me know and I'll give you directions. :)

BassFooler
08-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Hey Erreck- yeah, if you dont mind, post the directions to the place- Oro has been on my to-fish list for quite some time. My original posting was not just for my info- but more so for the masses since there seemed to be some definite complaints and 'uneasyness' about certain spots-
I appreciate the input E!

BF

fishkiller
08-03-2005, 03:59 PM
8)the 3 safest spots to leave a vehicle at night while your away is brannon island pittsburg launch and lauritzens in antioch and maybe even rio vista. :o 8)

FlunkinFishin
08-03-2005, 06:14 PM
What a bunch of cowards! You're talking about dogs. Be a man and take charge of the situation! 1 dog or 10 dogs you , cowards don't need guns. A stern voice, if that doesn't work pick up a stick or rock. Walk towards the dog not away from it. show them whos boss. Who's smarter really. By the way this is a catfish forum.

Erreck
08-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Hey Erreck- yeah, if you dont mind, post the directions to the place- Oro has been on my to-fish list for quite some time. *My original posting was not just for my info- but more so for the masses since there seemed to be some definite complaints and 'uneasyness' about certain spots-
I appreciate the input E!

BF

Two places at Lake Oroville:

Spillway launch/rec area- Take Oro-Dam Blvd exit off Hwy 70 in Oroville and head east. Follow the signs to the spillway and cross over the top of the dam. You're there. BTW, I've seen pic.s of 30+lbers caught just off that ramp area from shore.

Lime Saddle Marina- Take Hwy 70 North out of Oroville approx. 8 miles. Turn left on Pentz Rd. and stay on that for another 3 miles or so. You should see the entrance to the marina on the right side of the road. A little further up the hill is the camp grounds and a smaller "car top" launch that also holds some promise.

There are actually quite a few really nice/safe places around that lake and most are really easy to get to.

JIM_D.
08-04-2005, 02:18 PM
I used to carry a 357 MAG. when I fished all night at Nights Landing. Not in the river, but a slough, used to catch 5 to 6 lb. cats all the time there. my brother had one on that could have went 20 lbs., lost him after fighting for about 20 minutes. I caught a 12.5 lb. channel there. JIM D.