PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here...

Trout_Terminator
07-24-2005, 05:35 PM
After reading this board I have got interested in trying to catch a catfish. And I was wondering on what I should use to do it. I am going to be going up to sly park, and I have heard that they have them up there. So I was wondering what I could use for bait, what lb test, and what types of hooks? For bait, I heard that hotdogs work pretty well. But what do you think about it? And how do I rig my pole for cats? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to catch some fish!
Thanks For The Help,

-Trout Terminator.

freddy45
07-24-2005, 07:32 PM
hello! Here is all you need to know: http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=fresh_cat;action=display;num=1120178 330 Have fun!

Tm_Customs
07-24-2005, 07:34 PM
I think hot dogs suck, just use something that stinks alot sardies are my favorite. It does not matter what # line you use I have cought 5lbers on 4lb test but normally use 20lb just so the fish dont knick it alot and I have to retie less. Catfish are by far the easiest fish to catch just throw out and wait night time is best.

Diego916
07-25-2005, 11:16 AM
For rigs, here's a good thread: http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=fresh_cat;action=display;num=1120883 896

I agree with Tim on hot dogs. The first time my dad took me fishing for cats over 20 years ago, he used hot dogs and we got skunked! The half-dozen or so times I've used them since, I haven't caught squat on dogs.

I prefer night crawlers and live minnows/bluegill for bait. Big hooks, big bait.

surfnturf
07-25-2005, 12:23 PM
My favorite for catfish is a mini crawler on a #6 or #8 Kahle hook and some attractant. Sometimes bread dough works well too, but carp like it too. My personal best cat, a 12.5lber was out of Lake Elizabeth in Fremont with bread dough. Crawlers seem to be more consistent though, and you toss in the opportunity of hitting other species as well.

Trout_Terminator
07-25-2005, 03:38 PM
ill be fishing for bass while i will be fishing for the cats.

Wolf74
07-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Thats kinda odd that you guys haven't caught anything on hotdogs, considering that I've seen a couple of threads here that swear by them. Makes me wonder who I should believe, lol.

fishrman4life
07-26-2005, 08:01 PM
oh yea...its SO hard to take one hotdog out and test the myth

bah....chicken livers and bacon grease for life

Trout_Terminator
07-26-2005, 08:54 PM
I got 2 poles... lol, could always do an all nighter ;D.

MB_Kevin
07-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Hot dogs :P...and today there were many otheres too. and a carp.
Otherwise I would try night crawler. 8 pound test or somewere in there. sliding sinker and have fun.
http://pstr-m02.ygpweb.aol.com/data/033/5D/56/AF/D4/-OlF47-d34teN2Eh+GqeURnPQftnQoGD0300.jpg

Wolf74
07-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Yep, very hard :P

JIM_D.
07-27-2005, 06:10 AM
I say, stick with what works for you. I have fed cats hotdogs in an aquarium and they ate them up. but have yet to field test them because I know what works and until it fails me why change. JIM D.

daystarchis
07-27-2005, 02:03 PM
What I do is see what the natural bait is at the body of water you are fishing. Live bait is good, so live shad or bait fish would be good for 1 pole and LIVER!!!! for the other. I used hot dog with vini the other day. SKUNKED!!!! I will never waste my time again lol. Now at the body of water you are at, hot dog may work. I just never had any luck at all. I use a sliding sinker on one pole a a surf loop rig on the other. With the surf rig I usuelly put liver on one hook and a crawler or some kind of cut bait on the other hook. I fish with 30 lb spider and 60 lb spider. Sometime it helps if you don't have a bait runner or bait clicker to open up you bell on your spin cast. I fish for trophey cat (10 lb and over) Big hook and big bait= BIG FISH! Check out the internet for the Brotherhood Of Catfishing (BOC) they specifically fish for cats. Those guys know how to fish for kitty's. Let us know how you do. There is nothing like hooking a nice hog over 10 lb. The fight is AWESOME!!!!!

Robb

vini-v
07-27-2005, 02:41 PM
ROBB yur getting me stirred ;Dhere kitty kittysszzz

daystarchis
07-27-2005, 04:55 PM
I hear ya Vince! Catfishing is addicting :D But it is a good addiction. Aint nothing like it. "Catfishing is a way of life" Maybe we can wet a line this weekend sometime.

Robb

Wolf74
07-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Good to see that there are alot of BOC brothers here. I remember when I first joined the BOC a while back, there was almost nobody in the California section. It was me and like two other guys and they posted around once every five months lol.

daystarchis
07-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Well Wolf, I want to say howdy BROTHER! I guess I was one of the few posting a while back ;D. Been a member of BOC since 2003. There are about 30-40 cali brothers now. I fish with em all the time. I have hosted 3 gatherings so far. You in Sac? Some of us BOC brothers are getting together in a few weeks at a "secret" honey hole in Sac area. Check it out on BOC. I have a feeling we will wet aline together in the future.

Robb

Wolf74
07-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Well I just checked and I became a brother June 28,2002. Lol, wow I haven't been back to that site in a while.