PDA

View Full Version : what are we doing wrong? Don Pedro

chum
07-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Ive been catfishing for quite a while and almost always do it at lake don pedro unless we go on a family trip or something. The past two years our success rate has dropped dramatically. We usually fish the points targeting chanell cats. For baits we use anchovies or cut mackarel. I'm starting to get a little discouraged with going fishing and gettin maybe one or two and thats on a good night. I know the fish are their but what can i do to start getting into some whiskers? Dont want any secret holes or anything just some pointers or general area to start looking.

fishrman4life
07-19-2005, 12:04 AM
Fish more shallow waters. The points drop off pretty quickly I'm only assuming. Start fishing the coves and creek arms that run into the main lake. My bait of choice is chicken livers and I can safely assume that the channel population of Don Pedro isnt all natural; some planters etc. But my guess would be creek arms and structure, they may be spawning and usually they head for more shallow water when they spawn. Try this weekend in some of the coves and Im sure you'll have better fishing.

Good luck to ya,

F4life

ken_fishnfool
07-19-2005, 09:44 AM
I'll second that. Coves with some fresh water coming in to them are the best chance. Also the best bite will be between midnight and 4AM. Staying up late will pay off. :)

MB_Kevin
07-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Yea I wouldnt use the baits you menchioned and make sure you have a sliding sinker or use the wait at the end with 2 hooks above for best results. I would use chicken liver, hot dog, night crawler or stink bait for better odds. and make sure you are rigged up right. check through the board here there is alot of good info on how to catch them with rigs and baits. good luck ;)

vini-v
07-24-2005, 02:26 PM
We used to catch nice cats in the coves, and there used to be some damned nice sunfish in there, used meal worms and nightcrawlers..

AllFishNoWork
07-25-2005, 10:33 PM
I'll second that. Coves with some fresh water coming in to them are the best chance. Also the best bite will be between midnight and 4AM. Staying up late will pay off. :)

I'll third that, especially the time. Some night the best bite isn't untill 3am. Try uncooked grocery store shrimp, I think about 60/70 count size, maybe 40/50 count, I forget it has been awhile.