PDA

View Full Version : Reels for casting far

vjstroud
03-06-2010, 05:05 AM
I want to cast big weight far. I am a surf fisherman, and need something with muscle to put on my 10ft rod. I need to cast 4-10oz far far far... WHich is better, baitcasters or spinning? I like to catch sturgeon, stripers, sharks, rays, so it needs to be able to catch the bigger fish. Whats best for me?

ANd if you say baitcaster, what type? THANKS ALL

fernley_tim
03-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Any well oiled up penn without a level wind will sling it out there ;) In your situation bait casters will outcast spinning reels every time ;) It does matter who is casting the outfit though :o ;D ;D

BIG_ONE
03-06-2010, 06:15 AM
If your going to sling large sinkers out. Spinning will cast farther than baitcaster can. Due to the fact that there is no pressure on the line drawing it from having backlashes like baitcaster does. For maximum distance, use braid on your spinning reel.* 8-)

fernley_tim
03-06-2010, 06:47 AM
I stand corrected :-[ ;D here is a thread you might enjoy.
http://www.catfish1.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-39698.html

I think it still depends what the person is comfy with ;)

BIG_ONE
03-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Comfortable with your set up can make a difference in your casting distance also. Not just the baitcaster or spinning reel itself that has anything to do with your casting distance ability. The length and the action of your rod has something to do with your casting distance also. The way how you cast it out there, what type of line your using, how big is the reel and guide that gives it a smooth cast. But overall with the best set up of everything, in my own personal experience. Spinning comes out a tab bit more.

CavScout
03-06-2010, 08:00 AM
For my choice I use Penn baitcasting reels, I like the 975 it seems to be well balanced for me. It doesn't have a heavy drag only about 18lbs but it does hold over 300 yards of choice braid and with that I can fight most anything and thats what I like. Before I went to baitcasters I used Penn spinning reels and once I learned how to use a baitcaster properly I can sling a 10 oz way further then I ever did on my spinning set ups. my spinning and baitcasting rods and reels are all very close to eachother as far as size and action so it is as close to a perfect match as you could get. I can hit further spots with my casting set up then spinning but I guess it is still up to the person.

jetfishn
03-06-2010, 09:37 AM
I use a 525 Penn non levelwind casting reel w/4 brgs which they stopped mfg in 2003, or you could get a newer current edition 525 Mag Penn w/6 brgs, or a 535 for a bit bigger size reel.

J_W
03-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Casting reels outcast spinning reals hands down in my opinion. It just takes a lot of practice to learn how to cast it with little to no thumb. There is no drag as the line is coming off the spool with a casting reel. There's a lot of drag as the line comes off of a spinning real, the line rubs on the spool as it comes off and the first guide as the line comes off in big loops. You can hear this heavy drag on the line when someone makes a long cast with heavy weight on a spinning reel...it's loud! When I bank fish I can toss my casting set up with 4-5 ozs further than my buddie's spinning set ups when they're using 8-10 ozs. As far as which reel to use, there's a lot to choose from. I'd just suggest using as small a reel as you can get away with.

J W

4.lightfoot
03-07-2010, 08:01 AM
the world record in casting is held by conventional reels..... both abu 6500 and by penn 525 mags. I own both and can easily cast 140 yards (420+ feet) with either reel, with anything from 3-12 ounces of weight. competition casters are casting over 300 yards with a penn 525 and the abu 6500 but they are not fishing reels,they are built to cast only. if you can cast 100 yards you are pretty good. spinning reels will never come close to matching the distance of conventional reels. For fishing you may want to stick with something with a level wind, My abu still has the level wind on it. what kind of rod are you going to be using ???? Jim