PDA

View Full Version : putting line on your bait cast

FishAddict707
01-16-2010, 09:49 AM
is there a trick to keeping the line tight when your lining a baitcaster? I seem to never get it tight enough and it ends up snapping when it gets stuck

hotdog
01-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Never had that problem.
I usually have one of the kids hold the spool with a pen and put pressure against me by letting the spool rub a phone book or something.

oldfisherman
01-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Put a piece of threaded rod in a vise, add a flat washer then put your line spool on the rod,* then add a flat washer and a helical coil spring. Then add a nut and a wing nut.* Tighten the nut until you have the right amount of tension on your spool and lock it in place with the wing nut.* Wind her up.* It may take a bit of experimentation to get this set up to work but I've used it for years.

FishbucketII
01-16-2010, 01:55 PM
I hold the spool in a pen or pencil bettween my feet (with shoes on). Then as I'm winding I pus the spool into the ground,carpet,floor to create the tension want.
Caution !... the spool will burn 2 lines into whatever floor covering your pushing it against.

ric1ric
01-16-2010, 10:27 PM
take a phone book run the line thru the middle and close it should spool perfect. if its too much pressure put it in less pages.

wingnut
01-17-2010, 08:04 AM
take a phone book run the line thru the middle and close it should spool perfect. if its too much pressure put it in less pages.

ditto. thats what I do. use a big book

FishAddict707
01-17-2010, 08:12 AM
the phonebook one sounds like a plan! you guys think 50# braid pline is too much for tossing lures?

I use the pole for bait fishing and tossing lures every now and then.. mainly a striper pole but just wanna be ready just incase a dino hits it.. or should i put my 20# spyder wire?

Team Mc Fishing
01-18-2010, 05:36 AM
You can also pick up a berkley line spooling station that runs $30 when not on sale, it works great because you can mount the reel on the one end and then the other has a spool arm with adjustable tension and you can get a good line spool with that device.

On my striper rod with the liveliner I use it has 50# power pro, I use 65# for throwing bigger lures and top water snag proof frogs. That's just some of my setups I use.