PDA

View Full Version : Official 2007 Shad Reports

Pages : [1] 2

drstressor
05-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Here you go guys. The American, Feather, Sac or coastal rivers. Post them here.

HOG-ON
05-14-2007, 09:42 PM
3 for 17 hits
You are eather in the right spot or you are not in the right spot.

fishinmusician
05-15-2007, 03:20 AM
Any Shad up near Chico yet???

mike22ca
05-15-2007, 10:09 AM
A lil birdie told me they are THICK on the Sac right now... ;)

j_kne21
05-15-2007, 10:26 AM
fished below the freeport bridge last night from 630 till 815 and didn't see any caught but did see 3 fish on strigers. probally 30 or 40 people. really slow hopefully will pick up soon.

hellbent
05-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Last friday 6-8 am 12
Sunday 3-4:30 pm 15
Yesterday 3-6 pm 49 fish for two people

All on the feather

mike22ca
05-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Nice Hellbent, how far up the Feather? First Sandbar up from Verona or further up?

ric1ric
05-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Just talked to some people who said 36 for two people flylining from a boat at Verona

hunkfisher
05-15-2007, 08:14 PM
No reports down in the American yet huh? Looks like ill have to convince my buddy to take out the boat and go to the feather ::)

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-15-2007, 09:35 PM
I saw a lot Jump i mean JUMP and like I was out there for 6 hours WITH NO hooook ups....

What am I doing wrong :-[
Couple guys caught some

But I had no luck :(

Fish On

AHF

hellbent
05-16-2007, 07:02 AM
I am fishing below Shanghai where the river narrows, anchored up. The evening gets crowded but the AM time is pretty quiet

mike22ca
05-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the info hellbent

Seceret_hole
05-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Sac river, Discovery Park, *the fish are stacking up as we speak. A lot of guys fishing the bank yesterday, most of them were hooking shad... * * * * *[smiley=jumpinggroup.gif]

j_kne21
05-16-2007, 11:21 AM
i fished freeport again last night for about an hour and didn't see any caught and only saw one fish on stringer. is it better fishing in the morning or something at freeport?

mike22ca
05-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Sac river, Discovery Park, *the fish are stacking up as we speak. A lot of guys fishing the bank yesterday, most of them were hooking shad... * * * * *[smiley=jumpinggroup.gif]

Yea I heard everyone over there had multiple fish :o

kingcole
05-16-2007, 02:25 PM
I saw a lot Jump i mean JUMP and like I was out there for 6 hours WITH NO hooook ups....

What am I doing wrong :-[
Couple guys caught some

But I had no luck :(

Fish On

AHF

Hard to say with out seeing your presentation & location. Those are the two key factors without Presentation it doesn't matter where you fish and flipside you present the lure perfect but in water with no shad then same no fish result. I'd say location #1, Presentation #2 Hookset #3

Get near the other bankies that will help you narrow down where they are holding. If you are casting out with the same set up (lure, weights) as the other bankies you should be timing yourself with their retrieve. If your making two cast to their 1 you are way too fast, slow down and let that jig get down. Cast right when they do and reel at the same sped until you get the speed nailed down. Sayini this I am assuming you are at Freeport or Discovery

Not sure about the jumping fish... I'm inclined to say those were not shad. It's real early for them to be spwaning - they are top spawners the female will release her eggs and the males will thrash around spreading jiz. It's a bunch of splashing and carrying on but not really Jumping out of the water?

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Nope they where shad. This one guy was just using a jig with no weight and fly fishing with it and when they where jumping one got it..... I was like nice job and he said its not skill they will eat anything they are that stupid.... He told me that I wasnt doing nothing wrong. He said it is either a hit or miss and I guess I missed. But he caught 23 of them and I caught none....

ric1ric
05-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Decided to wade out at Verona today I didn't do real well fished maybe an hour for 2 misses and nice female. The boats were doing well out there though it was high noon when I got there. Talked to two guys in a boat that were killing them. Frank and Dusty they worked at Sportmans Wharehouse. They were fly lining them right and left. They knew Allfish and Loose Goose as soon as I remembered thier real name which took a little while. ;D

mike22ca
05-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Tattoofish and went out 2 Disco for a couple fish... seems like EVERYONE was gettng them!

mike22ca
05-16-2007, 08:54 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~mkeck28/5-16-2007shad.jpg
Here's a big ol fatty that I got ;)

fishtrekker
05-16-2007, 10:20 PM
I fished the American, West of the Fairoaks bridge, around 3:30pm, no shad, *saw a few jump. *Talked to some people and they found a school of shad down at Discovery. *I'll try tomorrow in the morning to see if the shad are on the move. *

BushHogg
05-17-2007, 09:23 AM
I fished up the American just below the 12th st. bridge for 2 hours with only 1 fish.

ric1ric
05-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Fished Verona this morning with Kneedeep for one nice hen and a 18" Striper. The guys flylining were killing them.

FishNRookie
05-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Fished Discovery this morning for a couple hours, no fish for the 8-10 bankies out there but saw one boat net 9 in about 15 minutes...making me super jealous. 8 other boats near them but only 1 pulled in a fish. Guess some guys just know how to get it done.

AllFishNoWork
05-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Talked to two guys in a boat that were killing them. Frank and Dusty they worked at Sportmans Wharehouse. They were fly lining them right and left. They Allfish and Loose Goose as soon as I remembered thier real name which took a little while.

Yes, in the work place we have to use real names ;D Dustin said he met you and he was quite proud of his fishing.

dpsa98
05-17-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm going to try Discovery Park for my first time tomorrow from the bank. My setup is 7 1/2 ft rod with spinning reel loaded with 6lb test. 1/32 jig head with a pink grub off the back and a split shot about 2ft up from the jig head.

Is there anything I should know or need to change in order to have a chance at them tomorrow?

I should be able to get there around 6:30 or 7am.

Thanks,
Digger

raymac
05-17-2007, 08:30 PM
You should take some extra weights so that you can cast a long distance. Like a 1/4,3/8 oz egg sinkers. On your main line put an egg sinker add a bead tie a swivle. Add A mono leader 2 to3 ft above your jig set up.When retreaving move at a steady speed to keep egg sinker off bottom. There are many ways to catch a shad

kromebrite
05-17-2007, 08:38 PM
These guys "flylining"; fairly shallow water?

dpsa98
05-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Thank you very much. I knew I did not have exactly the right set up. I will give it a try in the morning and let you all know how I do.

Thanks Again

Digger

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Like a 1/4,3/8 oz egg sinkers. On your main line put an egg sinker add a bead tie a swivle. Add A mono leader 2 to3 ft above your jig set up.When retreaving move at a steady speed to keep egg sinker off bottom. There are many ways to catch a shad

What is the point of using a bead? I have seen other people use that too
And if using a egg weight should you put a split shot at the end for it wouldnt go up and down the main line? I am learning too

Thanks

Fish On

AHF

mike22ca
05-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Like a 1/4,3/8 oz egg sinkers. On your main line put an egg sinker *add a bead tie a swivle. Add A mono leader 2 to3 ft above your jig set up.When retreaving move at a steady speed to keep egg sinker off bottom. There are many ways to catch a shad

What is the point of using a bead? I have seen other people use that too
And if using a egg weight should you put a split shot at the end for it wouldnt go up and down the main line? I am learning too

Thanks

Fish On

AHF

The bead protects your knot on the swivel by guarding it from the weight slamming down on it ;)

mike22ca
05-17-2007, 09:47 PM
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/6641/5172007shadoz0.jpg

Me and Tattoofish fished Discovery again this evening for several more fish. Here's a pic of a fatty that I caught.

Btw this is the second evening in a row that Ive caught a 3+ #r for my first fish ;)

mike22ca
05-18-2007, 06:15 AM
Here's another from Shad punchin last night...

http://home.comcast.net/~mkeck28/5-17-2007shad2.jpg

kingcole
05-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Nice work Mike! Good to see all those bankies lined up in the back ground. All this talk the last two months with no shad now we can start getting excited!

The American should get hoppin in the next few weeks... Just in time for me to go on vacation and miss 2 weeks of prime shad run!

Not sure what my old man was thinking scheduling a big family vacation during the Shad run??? :-[

Linesider
05-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Great looking shad, Mike.

Quick question: what is "fly lining". I'm guessing that has to be done from a boat...maybe put your jig/grub out with no other weight and just let the current drift it until you hook up????

ric1ric
05-18-2007, 06:53 PM
The guys in the boats are just using a fly rod with sinking line and a sinking tip with a shad fly they drop it in and wait or let it out and strip it back

Fern-dog
05-18-2007, 09:06 PM
3 for 17 *hits
You are eather in the right spot or you are not in the right spot.

Fished Freeport this evening in the boat. Several bankies out till about 7-7:30 then all left. *Action started out with a bang, three fish in first 5 cast, then shut down time. Saw maybe a total of 10 other fish caught from 4-8PM. Water seemed dirty with lots of debris in it. Water temp was 70 degrees for the evening fishing. *

Where they all went is anybody's guess. All fish were males 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 lbs. We picked up 2 more fish near the surface around 7 PM, lost a few more then it shut down again.

Frustrating. Hope the guys up above did better! * * [smiley=bump.gif]

Fern-Dog * * [smiley=odie.gif]

FinAddict
05-19-2007, 05:35 AM
It shouldn't be a guess. Follow those fish with your fishfinder. That thing should lite up like a christmas tree when you go over a school of shad. Just stay up river of them. ;)

Fern-dog
05-19-2007, 07:50 AM
It shouldn't be a guess. *Follow those fish with your fishfinder. *That thing should lite up like a christmas tree when you go over a school of shad. *Just stay up river of them. ;)

Rod, *
Understand & thanks for the words of encouragment, but I think with the cooler weather we have had and the flows being down, maybe it's just still early for this year. We had some really hot weather with super flows at this time last year. You guys were nailing them in the American last year at this time. *Hell, it's still early, but your right, I'm watching the finder and waiting for it to light up! * It's all good, it's fishing & thats better than yard work & honey do's! * * [smiley=yahoo.gif] * * * *Thanks.....

Fern-Dog

Linesider
05-19-2007, 07:43 PM
The guys in the boats are just using a fly rod with sinking line and a sinking tip with a shad fly they drop it in and wait or let it out and strip it back

Thanks bro for the explanation...makes sense. Not having a drift boat, I guess I may never know the joys of fly lining... :'( Not a big deal, Dimpala95 helped me last year with my first year of shad fishing. Wading into the water and going hand to fin with them is good enough for me!

Wish I could have made it to SHADfest this year, but the schedule wouldn't permit. Just happy it's that time again...

ric1ric
05-20-2007, 06:07 AM
Linesider the guys at the mouth of the feather aren't in drift boats they are just anchored in boats.

Linesider
05-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Linesider the guys at the mouth of the feather aren't in drift boats they are just anchored in boats.

Oh, well that changes everything...I've got a boat and an anchor :D

I might have to give that a try. Thanks for the heads up.

steeliejim
05-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Yep, good advice. Early mornings are as good as evenings, AND much less crowded. Anchor up just below and about 75 feet out from the last dock. A good slot.

Jim

Double_D
05-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Just got a rub in call from sportyguy66, he is on The Russian river getting into Shad.......I guess he will post a report when he gets home.

RIGHTHOOK
05-20-2007, 07:30 PM
We need increased flows on the A....or our shad season is pretty much in the toilet. :'(

HOG-ON
05-20-2007, 08:48 PM
We need increased flows on the A....or our shad season is pretty much in the toilet. :'(

HERE HERE EYE SECOND THAT ! !

tattooed_angler
05-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Here's another from Shad punchin last night...

http://home.comcast.net/~mkeck28/5-17-2007shad2.jpg
you ready to buckle some shad monday after two pm mikus !!

innovate
05-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Long time no talk dudes!

I fished below Courtland this evening for lots of hits, one hookup but no fish landed. I'll be back at it tomorrow :)

later,
Roland

BigOkieWhiteBoy916
05-21-2007, 01:06 AM
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8602/multimedma164226110001ev0.jpg

BEAR

I love that Dog! [smiley=odie.gif]

FinAddict
05-21-2007, 06:39 AM
This weekend, being Memorial Day Weekend, is our only shot for increased flows. If it doesn't happen May 25-28, it aint gonna happen. I check the scheduled releases most every day and will post as soon as I hear anything. START PRAYING!!

sactotitan
05-21-2007, 10:12 AM

BEAR

Dear Bear,

We've only met once - it was early and your daddy and I were going fishing. I couldn't get a good look at your face, but your silhouette I saw through the sliding glass door resembled a pile of cinder blocks. I just wanted to let you know, just like I told your daddy that if I had a big fat juicy steak in my pocket and it was between you and me starving to death....ENJOY IT my canine friend, enjoy it!

Now I know this is a shad report board (that I will be contributing to soon), but gotta give respect where respect is due!

RIGHTHOOK
05-21-2007, 11:27 AM

BEAR

Dear Bear,

We've only met once - it was early and your daddy and I were going fishing. I couldn't get a good look at your face, but your silhouette I saw through the sliding glass door resembled a pile of cinder blocks. I just wanted to let you know, just like I told your daddy that if I had a big fat juicy steak in my pocket and it was between you and me starving to death....ENJOY IT my canine friend, enjoy it!

Now I know this is a shad report board (that I will be contributing to soon), but gotta give respect where respect is due!
[smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]!!!!!!

you guys are killing me! ;D

BigOkieWhiteBoy916
05-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Isn't it amazing. When we start catching fish look who comes out of the shadows.....Sactotitan.

LOL Missed ya Bud!

Jeff C.
05-21-2007, 11:55 AM
I fished for 10 hours this past weekend and only caught 2. That's a lot of casting (shooting head fly line) and my arm is sore. Hope to get into some numbers in a week or two.

sactotitan
05-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Isn't it amazing. When we start catching fish look who comes out of the shadows.....Sactotitan.

LOL Missed ya Bud!

LOL! it has been a long time! Let's get out there soon!

tattooed_angler
05-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Headed out to the sac /american river for some shad fishing me, mike and my dog Baby nailed 18 shad in 2 hours. Lots of shore anglers but we managed to work a few shad away from them. Boats were out by the water towers but thats not my spot lots of fun warm water and pleanty of god ole laughs out there. IMO even tho the water is low Mike and I dont have any problem belting a few shad nor do the shore anglers on the disco beach as well ;) Going back tommorow for a spell so more pics to come!!!

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/7656/pict0037xv3ct7.jpg

Mr. Belt got these shad
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3096/pict0036nx5cj6.jpg

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/1704/pict0035dq5lf9.jpg

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/1788/pict0024cl0id0.jpg
BBQ up some grub
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5363/pict0032hv8kd2.jpg

last thursday out on the water

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/6641/5172007shadoz0.jpg

Adjusted photo size to fit board.

ric1ric
05-22-2007, 08:11 AM
Looks like you had a great day you really gave them shad the belt

Sportyguy66
05-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Took a few days off and went back home to visit my home town in Sonoma County . I took a ride out to the Russian River to try The Hole I caught My First Shad and first fish on a Fly Rod. There was a was a couple guys already fishing, one fly rodder & another Fly Fisher, So I moved down and fished the back end of the hole so not to interfere with the other fisherman. After a Few Cast with a Pink head Chartruese Tail I hooked into one and landed my first of the season. :) Caught another one after a few more casts and then had to move my truck because they were locking the gate. After returning to the hole fished for a couple more hours for nothing. But like clock work an hour before Sun down The Shad started hitting again. Hooked 5 more but two broke off me off. When I went to move my car I forgot my Leader line in my car so I had to go with straight 3 lb Line. The breakoff happened at the Jig so keeping the thin line tied seemed to be the weak link. It was really nice to be able to experience the fight of the Poor Mans Tarpon. Looking forward to doing it alot more this year on the AR

joe_tomlinson
05-22-2007, 10:03 AM
I think the shad season should be fine, on the american. The flows aren't optimum, but when are they. The shad have to spawn no matter what the flows are. I remember about 7-8 years ago we had the same flows as this year, and we were absolutly killing 'em at lower sunrise around jun. 1st.

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-22-2007, 10:27 AM
right now is the sac, feather, or AR the best bet for now?
I know boaters are slaying them

Thanks

AHF

mike22ca
05-22-2007, 10:36 AM

Thanks

AHF

Dude bankies are slayin them down at Discovery Park too. Go down there and you'll see what Im talkin about. Bite seems to be wide open during the evenings ;)

theriverrunner
05-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Shad...What Shad.... Yes the shad are starting to show in the Chico are. A little "spotty". The north wind has made it tough for the past few days. When the wind dies down the fishing should get "hot"....

A few are showing in the Butte City area and a few small pods of fish around Ord Bend and Scotty's ?? Be patient......!

Pimpinmeat
05-22-2007, 12:39 PM
I think the shad season should be fine, on the american. The flows aren't optimum, but when are they. The shad have to spawn no matter what the flows are. I remember about 7-8 years ago we had the same flows as this year, and we were absolutly killing 'em at lower sunrise around jun. 1st.

Hope your right Joe, June is right around the corner and we should be seeing more fish than we are right now.

tattooed_angler
05-22-2007, 03:12 PM

Thanks

AHF

Dude bankies are slayin them down at Discovery Park too. *Go down there and you'll see what Im talkin about. *Bite seems to *be wide open during the evenings ;)
they are there in force too water temp is around 68 to 70 and lots of folks out thee dont have waders neiter

fishtrekker
05-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Fished the Treehole this morning and only two fish. Was little windy for the fly pole, ugh!

RonM
05-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Alright guys, I made some edits on this thread. Lets not let it get out of hand. Don't let one comment ruin it for everyone.

RonM

fishinmusician
05-23-2007, 06:09 AM
HEY RIVER RUNNER!!!
Thanks for the Chico update... Keep em coming!!!
THE DERBY IS NEXT WEEK.

KEEPIN 'EM TIGHT,
AND Jonesing for SHAD...

FISHIN MUSICIAN

tattooed_angler
05-23-2007, 09:06 AM
hit the sac last night with mike, bev and baby and we only nailed two shad in two hours. Howevr though the bankies had good luck from 6-8 in the evening. We didnt fish our normal spot due to not want ing to fight with the anchor and the wind but we'll be back hopfully today for some more shad punching !!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Fern-dog
05-23-2007, 08:53 PM

Thanks

AHF

Dude bankies are slayin them down at Discovery Park too. *Go down there and you'll see what Im talkin about. *Bite seems to *be wide open during the evenings ;)

Fished Discovery from the bank late this afternnon until about 7:45 this evening. Got 7 & *lost 2. All on darts & various colors. Fish seemed to be out about 20-30 from bank when they hit. That place can get crazy! Two words to describe it ... "COMBAT FISHING" * [smiley=fencing.gif]

It's back to the boat for me....bankies can have the bank, it's all yours fella's! * *[smiley=guns.gif] * *Hey, you gotta try some things at least once. Did meet some nice folks though ... others, well we'll just leave that one alone. There's always a few in every crowd, boat or no boat!

Fern-dog [smiley=odie.gif]

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-23-2007, 09:00 PM
well call me a noob for all my questions but IT PAYED OFF FOR MY SECOND TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Caught a ton only kept a few of the big ones

Pic from the noob

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z281/antiherofisher/shad.jpg

I caught some bigger ones but I had to much fun so I released the rest

So yeah more reports from me ;D ;D

Fish On

AHF

I hope you enjoyed the noob info ;D

Americansteel
05-23-2007, 09:47 PM
HAHA good job Zach you beat me to the first shad.. im still huntin for them, so how many total did you catch? where did you fish Amer, Sac,Feather? I havent been out due to the fact that school ends in 2 weeks but after that im gonna be down there 4-5 times a week.
Good job buddy

fishinmusician
05-23-2007, 10:25 PM
WOW!!! Looks like it's a great Shad year!!! Great pics. You lucky dogs that live up in Shad land make me soooo jealous. But Friday, I'm on my way to the 30th annual Derby Daze Shad Derby in Chico.
The Deisle Point Shad and Blues Band will be cookin'. This is thier album cover... F.M. WOW!!! Looks like it's a great Shad year!!! Great pics. You lucky dogs that live up in Shad land make me soooo jealous. But Friday, I'm on my way to the 30th annual Derby Daze Shad Derby in Chico.
The Deisle Point Shad and Blues Band will be cookin'. This is thier album cover... F.M.[img]http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/shadbust72dpi.jpg

fishinmusician
05-23-2007, 10:32 PM
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/desielpointshadband2007.jpg

fishinmusician
05-23-2007, 10:38 PM
And this is the flip sidehttp://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/medium/shadbust300dpi.jpg

Hey River Runner... Any more Chico Shad show up???

I Got it bad... For Shad

fishinmusician
05-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Anti Hero... WAY TO GO!!! Popped your Shad cherry!!! No More NOObEE guff for you!!!

Duke363
05-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Tried for the first time ever to fish for shad today around Freeport with no luck.... don't really know what I'm doing. Sounds like I need to move further north next time. Can anyone inform me... can you take a boat up the American from the Sac, or is it too shallow? Sounds like most people are shore fishing there. What's a good launch site near Discovery Park? And for a general shad question.... what kind of water am I looking for? Today we tried shallow, deep, moving, still, near the shore, in the middle..... structure, sandy areas, rocky areas..... as I said, don't really know what I'm doing just hoping someone can roughly direct me on where to cast my line? Thanks

mike22ca
05-24-2007, 07:56 AM

Thanks

AHF

Fished Discovery from the bank late this afternnon until about 7:45 this evening. Got 7 & *lost 2. All on darts & various colors. Fish seemed to be out about 20-30 from bank when they hit. That place can get crazy! Two words to describe it ... "COMBAT FISHING" * [smiley=fencing.gif]

It's back to the boat for me....bankies can have the bank, it's all yours fella's! * *[smiley=guns.gif] * *Hey, you gotta try some things at least once. Did meet some nice folks though ... others, well we'll just leave that one alone. There's always a few in every crowd, boat or no boat!

Fern-dog [smiley=odie.gif]

No joke on the combat fishing huh? I fish Nimbus on a regular basis during salmon season and I dont get 3x as many tangles lol

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Well on the feather its kinda on the same scale as nimbus expect people are a little nicer but not really.

Its always funny seeing people combat fishing for shad!

Salmon is a diff story when they have braided line and the fish tangles in yours and you lose your 1.50+ set up....

O well

But shad fishing IS SOOO FUN I am ADDICTED TO IT and I thought I would never say that

Fish On

AHF

oakflyboy
05-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Has anyone been chasing shad up to Chico or the Woodson bridge area? Im headed up this weakend hope to have a report on tuesday. Every body be safe this weakend. Think of our VETS!!!!!!!!!!

tattooed_angler
05-24-2007, 09:15 PM
hit disco this afternoon with Mike and the dog and we had ok results. Ten shad landed and probrally just as much lost. We anchored up the boat and joined the chaos on the beach of disco and did ok as well.. The most entertaining thing today was watching this guy think he could swim to the wing dam and back to the beach only to have his friends come to the rescue. Anyhow I took a few pics of the maddness on the beach and the biggest one tonight.

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/4074/pict0001rn0cu4.jpg
pic of the boats at the towers

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/5613/pict0004ep6wz9.jpg

Took the above pics at 5:30

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/1015/pict0005qb2th0.jpg
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/4886/pict0006dg0yj7.jpg

the top two are taken at 7:30 and if you put both pics together it's the whole beach.
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2079/pict0008yg4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

lastly the biggest one for the night. We are headed to verona tommorow in the noon time so more to follow [smiley=guns.gif]

Adjusted photo size to fot board.

tankgrunt
05-25-2007, 06:11 AM
Something about that crowd at Disco doesn't look like loads of fun to me :-X I am heading much further up river tomorrow to hopefully avoid as much of the madness as possible.

chicofishrmen
05-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Has anyone been chasing shad up to Chico or the Woodson bridge area? Im headed up this weakend hope to have a report on tuesday. Every body be safe this weakend. Think of our VETS!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the boards oakfly!! I haven't heard anyone catching shad this far up till today!! The author of the article below (Steve Carson) is a well respected writer, and I've found his reports are usually on the money. I don't feel like working today, so if possible I might sneak over and give it a shot. *The shad report is the 2nd section down. Good luck.

http://www.chicoer.com/sports/ci_5983510

chicofishrmen
05-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Well, the Sacto up here sure isn't red hot yet. Fished it for a couple hours for a few bumps & 1 squawfish http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif At least it wasn't crowded. http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/198/p1010002ax2.jpg
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6003/p1010003kj3.jpg
A guy flyfishing caught 1 while I was there, so at least I know there are some up this far.

I was watching the "fun fishing" show this past weekend and they were putting shrimp/krill gel on their lures. Anyone here do that? I don't see that it could hurt, but I don't see how it would help...

jake74
05-25-2007, 04:13 PM
I canoed the American today from Illinois to Rossmoore dragging a jig and grub body most of the way. The water was very clear. I didn't get a single bite, nor did I see any shad. I saw quite a few of the Sacramento Suckers down on the bottom however.

Should there be shad up this far on the AR yet?

-Jake

45_Auto
05-25-2007, 04:27 PM
If we had normal water flows, the shad would be at least as far as Goethe. With the low flows this year, who knows if they'll even make it that far.

HOG-ON
05-25-2007, 08:21 PM
I canoed the American today from Illinois to Rossmoore dragging a jig and grub body most of the way. *The water was very clear. *I didn't get a single bite, nor did I see any shad. *I saw quite a few of the Sacramento Suckers down on the bottom however.

Should there be shad up this far on the AR yet?

-Jake

Jake if your grub is on the bottom you will not catch a shad, You must be off of the bottom.

Reel_burner
05-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Also "dragging" a jig with the current won't get it done. The presentation that you want is the jig drifting downstream SLOWER than the current, ie. swimming upstream but losing ground.

If your jig is moving downsream as fast or faster than the current you won't get bit unless the river is just packed with shad.

keciga1
05-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Went to Disco today with my son and girl and it was MADNESS CITY out there. Milions of people with ski boats and jetskis. Fished from the bank for about an hour and then Tattofish picked us up from the bech. Tried our luck at the train bridge and the towers for nothing so we beached the boat in the middle of the crowd and fired up the BBQ. Fished from the bank for about another hour without any success and headed home. Did see 2 boat fish and 1 bank fish caught though. Thanks Joe for the hospitality, I'll see you soon for another try. I did try the American earlier in the morning at Herington park for nada

tattooed_angler
05-26-2007, 07:40 PM
no worries Ivan ( The Croatian Sensation) it was a blast just be be out there for me and catching jet skiers lol ;). I'll hook up with you tuesday and we'll belt a few shad then.

RIGHTHOOK
05-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Something about that crowd at Disco doesn't look like loads of fun to me *:-X I am heading much further up river tomorrow to hopefully avoid as much of the madness as possible.

You aint kiddin...sactotitan and I were there friday afternoon on his boat and it sure wasnt all its cracked up to be....not my kind of scene at all.

Had some moron pull his boat right in our casting path trying to mark fish....confronted him about it and he acted like he couldnt fathom what he was doing wrong....after some harsh verbal persuasion he finally motored off and put himself right in the casting path of some bankies.
What a genius. [smiley=smiley_crazy.gif]

kromebrite
05-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Croatian Sensation ;D ;)
Tankgrunt! Good to see a post from you. Didn't see alot of SPB sturg reports from you this year,

Now the shad should eventualy come all the way up, right? Or could they stay locked in down there in lower AR?

Fern-dog
05-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Something about that crowd at Disco doesn't look like loads of fun to me *:-X I am heading much further up river tomorrow to hopefully avoid as much of the madness as possible.

You aint kiddin...sactotitan and I were there friday afternoon on his boat and it sure wasnt all its cracked up to be....not my kind of scene at all.

Had some moron pull his boat right in our casting path trying to mark fish....confronted him about it and he acted like he couldnt fathom what he was doing wrong....after some harsh verbal persuasion he finally motored off and put himself right in the casting path of some bankies.
What a genius. [smiley=smiley_crazy.gif]

Experianced pretty much the same thing early Friday morning. On the water with just two other boats, then more started moving in, right into our casting path on both sides of us. Then to top it off some guy comes in right behind us, drops the pick in our rear casting area and then floats himself down river to fish near the PG&E Tower. We pulled out, went up river some, zilch. Then took a slow ride up the American near the I-80 Bridge. Saw a few stripers roll, no shad moving up in the shallows or in deep holes, but lots of trash fish. *Called it a day early for zero fish.

I thought the bank was bad at Discovery on Wednesday, but the boat thing takes the cake! Sometimes you just gotta shake your head and wonder.......... * * [smiley=seestars.gif]

Fern-Dog * *[smiley=odie.gif]

Skippy
05-27-2007, 07:59 PM
I know most of you guys fish the AR, but I thought I would throw a Freeport report up.

For two guys, we ended up with 8 in the boat and 5 lost for about 5 hours of fishing today (May 27th). It wasn't wide open, but most boats were hooking up here and there.

http://www.gmccarthy.net/fishing/shad_5-27-07_Freeport_web.jpg

Anyway, hopefully there's more on the way and they start heading up the AR.

Good luck and tight lines!

-Skippy

Double_D
05-27-2007, 08:04 PM
So thats what a Shad looks like :o..........slow, very slow. :-[

Salm-ON
05-28-2007, 11:10 AM
A little too slow for me right now. There are still Striper in the system.

RIGHTHOOK
05-28-2007, 12:21 PM
I watched a drift boat slay shad on the upper "A" fom about 6-830 last night...and another boat that was flanking him a bit upstream didnt do too bad either....the shad are making a better appearance now on the upper...its just about finding the perfect holding water for them right now.
It does appear to me that our run is late this year....but on the flipside of that the fish are bigger this year as well. The trained eye will find the right water, and find the fish. ;)

ODDIE
05-28-2007, 04:44 PM
I was out with Sturgeon Stomper in my boat yesterday fishing for stripers. *We had not done very well, Gary had caught one small legal fish. *Late in the day about 6pm we were at the Freeport bridge and wern't having any luck so we decided to move upstream around the bend and get out of the wind. *We anchored on the west side about 1/2 mile above the bridge in 10 foot deep water. *The boat anchored here perfectly with the stern downstream. *caught a bunch of baby stripers and then when I was reeling in after the little bait stealers striped me, I caught a "SHAD" on the bare shiny silver colored hook. *This was my first shad ever. *Gary had one red head/chartreuse body shad dart in his tackle. *I switched up poles to a spinning rod tied on a large egg sinker and the dart on a 30" leader. *Between 7:30 & 8:00 pm I caught 6 more and lost another 5-6! :) :) *I was really pumped :D ;D *Not to bad for not knowing a thing about shad fishing. * I learned that I am for sure going to invest in some shad darts and go for them again!!

Hope no one got bored with this long post, but I really had fun and boy do they fight pretty good. *Go rip some shad lips guys and gals, I will be back trying in a few weeks after the trip to Flaming Gorge.

ODDIE

RIGHTHOOK
05-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Ahhh......another satisfied shad customer....I remember back when I first started posting shad flicks last year and professing my love for the heavy fightin little buggers....some folks would bash the idea....I even had folks tell me to go catch some "real" fish....now as I see more new faces "turned out" on my favorite featherwieghts....I can only sit back and smile. I love it! And all I can say to those once in doubt but now addicted is, I told you so! So grab your ultralight gear and your 4#pline, with your little pflueger president reel and have fun. The American should progressively turn on in the days to come.And they kick hell out of a trout any day of the week!

oakflyboy
05-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Shad fishing this weekend was great casting practice. I fished up north between woodson and Los Molinos In seveal honey holes and not a strike! Did any one fish the shad Derby at Scottys in chico this weekend?

chicofishrmen
05-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Shad fishing this weekend was great casting practice. I fished up north between woodson and Los Molinos In seveal honey holes and not a strike! Did any one fish the shad Derby at Scottys in chico this weekend?

I fished the washout in Chico Fri & Sun, caught a few squawfish noting else. A flyfisherman caught 1 small male on Fri in the 2 hours I was
there.

chrome-addict
05-28-2007, 09:21 PM
The fish are scattered throughout the entire system. A few smaller schools of shad are starting to show up at the Basin. Things are really starting to look up :)! It should definitely be heating up in the next couple weeks!

Good luck out there :D!!

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-28-2007, 09:29 PM
when the AR is hot does that mean the sac + feather is slow and dead :'( :'( :'(

ric1ric
05-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Not really but the shad keep moving up both rivers until they hit the dams

Double_D
05-29-2007, 07:08 AM
Ahhh......another satisfied shad customer....I remember back when I first started posting shad flicks last year and professing my love for the heavy fightin little buggers....some folks would bash the idea....I even had folks tell me to go catch some "real" fish....now as I see more new faces "turned out" on my favorite featherwieghts....I can only sit back and smile. I love it! And all I can say to those once in doubt but now addicted is, I told you so! So grab your ultralight gear and your 4#pline, with your little pflueger president reel and have fun. The American should progressively turn on in the days to come.And they kick hell out of a trout any day of the week!

I know people that said Shad fishing is a waist of time....but I hard over the winter they were all buying ultra light gear and Shad jigs.... ;D
Last season was my first time doing it right, Thanks to Fissssh,D impala and 916Steelhead.....I first tried it in 1975 with not much luck, then got back into fishing it the right way a couple of years ago.....well it's like chasing the Crack Monkey/The White Dragon or what every you want to call it......I've notice people are reluctant to fish out side ''The Box'' or there comfort zone and open there eyes to something new, I know too many people that made fun of Shad fishing, now they all seen to want to try it ;D

PlugROCKSTAR
05-29-2007, 07:18 AM
I know people that said Shad fishing is a waist of time....but I hard over the winter they were all buying ultra light gear and Shad jigs.... ;D
Last season was my first time doing it right, Thanks to D impala and 916Steelhead.....

There goes the neighborhood. *Those guys can definitely put a dent on the fishing population [smiley=yikes.gif] [smiley=yikes.gif] [smiley=yikes.gif]

dimpala95
05-29-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm so amped to catch my first fish of the year. It's been very difficult so far. I've been out 4 days and zero shad for me. The water has been way to low and warm and the normally good spots are either too shallow or high and dry. I've had to recon the American for better fishing prospects but so far there just aren't to many shad in the river. :'( The fish will eventually come in but "when" is the question.

Thanks for the props Double D. I'll let you try to "Claudine "me any day. :P Just try to keep up this year. ;) ;D ;D

PlugROCKSTAR
05-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the props Double D. I'll let you try to "Claudine "me any day. :P Just try to keep up this year. ;) ;D ;D

yeah Double_D thanks for the props.

D_impala95, check PM. :-*

chicofishrmen
05-29-2007, 10:48 AM
What's better than catching 1 shad? How about 2 at a time http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/shocked.gif I haven't seen this type of rig posted, so I thought I would share. Learned it from a old time shad expert up here. It works well for me (when they are in the river, that is)

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7462/p1010003sl0.jpg

FishNRookie
05-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Fished Disco park this morning from 7-9:30 for nada. Saw one netted by a guy in a canoe, too small so he released it. Guy next to us on the bank was fishing for sqawfish and carp. Not much else to report.

keviwa
05-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Wolf74 and I fished sunday evening at Dicovery. No we are not crazy and yes it was a zoo! The place was packed, both on the beach and in the water. Prospects looked grim. I figured with all the traffic that the shad would be spooked. We started about 6 and left about 8:30. Wolf landed two nice ones while I got hits but could not get them to commit. Saw lots of fish landed, they all seemed to be large females. If you need a shad fix, they are there. You may have to do a little combat fishing to get to them though.
Kevin

keviwa
05-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Forgot to mention, most fish were caught with red head-yellow bodied darts with 1oz egg weights. Had to toss way out to the bouys or farther to get to them.
Kevin

Prestoked
05-29-2007, 11:10 AM
[quote author=D impala95 link=1179180400/105#106 date=1180462602]I'm so amped to catch my first fish of the year. It's been very difficult so far. I've been out 4 days and zero shad for me. The water has been way to low and warm and the normally good spots are either too shallow or high and dry. I've had to recon the American for better fishing prospects but so far there just aren't to many shad in the river. :'( The fish will eventually come in but "when" is the question.
quote]

Maybe today if you get to Sunrise foot bridge. I got 10 for an hours fishing this morning. The slot was about 1/3 of the way out from the right bank as you face down river. Red head/Chartreuse body, bare hook, 1/2 oz. egg sinker above 3'-4' leader, 2' jigging action.

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-29-2007, 12:08 PM
I been catching all my fish in low water about waist high ;D
I might try the AR coming up in a week or so

Fish On

AHF

chrome-addict
05-29-2007, 04:51 PM
What's better than catching 1 shad? How about 2 at a time http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/shocked.gif I haven't seen this type of rig posted, so I thought I would share. Learned it from a old time shad expert up here. It works well for me (when they are in the river, that is)

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7462/p1010003sl0.jpg

I like to run tandem jigs under a bobber, when scouting for shad. I set the first one to within a foot of the bottom and the second one 12-18" above that one. I'll usually run 2 color patterns. Once I find where they are holding in the water column and what pattern they seem to be keying in on, I switch to a single jig and adjust the depth accordingly.

noahs_rippinlips
05-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Caught 50 shad yesterday in the feather on ultra light w/4lb test.Fished from 7am to 11:30am, must have missed 20 more. No exageration on the 50 either I made my wife keep count of everyone. Best thing about it is there was no one around me, everyone was on the other side of the river.

innovate
05-29-2007, 08:55 PM
30+ day for me on the American. See my report at the Delta Chambers website.

Roland

PlugROCKSTAR
05-29-2007, 09:05 PM

Roland

You mean to tell me that you actually still fish? :o Where the Heck have you been lil' boy?

innovate
05-29-2007, 09:10 PM
:P Every now and then, yep :D

Roland

You mean to tell me that you actually still fish? :o Where the Heck have you been lil' boy?

HOG-ON
05-29-2007, 09:54 PM

Roland

May we ask on what section of the American you were fishing? You don't have to be exact just lower, middle, upper would *be sufficient. We would not want you to give up your exact hot spot.

innovate
05-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Lower :)

Roland

May we ask on what section of the American you were fishing? You don't have to be exact just lower, middle, upper would *be sufficient. We would not want you to give up your exact hot spot.

Fern-dog
05-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Caught 50 shad yesterday in the feather on ultra light w/4lb test.Fished from 7am to 11:30am, must have missed 20 more. No exageration on the 50 either I made my wife keep count of everyone. Best thing about it is there was no one around me, everyone was on the other side of the river.

A good friend of mine was there and he said he caught a few while he watch a couple of guys on the east bank nail them. Must have been you. We tried to get in over there the other day but got crossed up. Can you get in by the levee road behind the sewer plant or are there locked gates. Any info would help. Glad you got some. He said the fish were all nice big females, were yours too?

Fern Dog

fishrman4life
05-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Roland and I were back on the lower American today slammin' shad. 15 between he and I. Great fun for my first ever shad fishing expedition. Innovate is definitely the shad man in my opinion. He's got pictures of the fish we caught, should be up within a day or 2. All fish caught on light green and fire tiger grubs and darts.

RIGHTHOOK
05-30-2007, 08:53 PM
The shad are in the upper A now....and its only gonna get better!

Enjoy the flicks:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5121/multimedma165019280002pj9.jpg

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4594/multimedma165019710001vt7.jpg

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/2094/multimedma165019010004wr8.jpg

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/360/multimedma165019150003xl6.jpg

Smeja
05-30-2007, 09:06 PM
theres 50+ fish days to be had this week and next but not in the american. personally i'll drive the extra 20 minutes to catch 50 fish instead of 5.... i gotta start stockin up on shark bait!!!

chrome-addict
05-31-2007, 09:21 AM

Yeah, they started entering the Basin about a week ago. I was out there yesterday morning and saw several more smaller schools. I also spoke to a cyclist who watched a few get brought in off of the Sunrise bike bridge 2 nights ago. Things are definitely starting to look up ;D!

Jeff C.
05-31-2007, 09:40 AM
I got 37 mostly in the Upper American last weekend. It should be red hot in a week or two. ;)

keciga1
05-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Glad to hear it. Good news.

RIGHTHOOK
05-31-2007, 03:05 PM
theres 50+ fish days to be had this week and next but not in the american. personally i'll drive the extra 20 minutes to catch 50 fish instead of 5.... i gotta start stockin up on shark bait!!!

We will be catchin em like that soon enough....and ill be drivin five whole minutes to get to em ;)

Linesider
05-31-2007, 04:04 PM
We will be catchin em like that soon enough....and ill be drivin five whole minutes to get to em ;)

I am extremely jealous, it's a bit of a haul for me...I'm down in Double D's neck of the woods. But will be happy to make the trip hopefully soon.

kromebrite
05-31-2007, 10:14 PM

Yeah, they started entering the Basin about a week ago. I was out there yesterday morning and saw several more smaller schools. I also spoke to a cyclist who watched a few get brought in off of the Sunrise bike bridge 2 nights ago. Things are definitely starting to look up ;D!

Hmmmm, chrome-addict was at the basin. But why? ;)
Let me go check"that other board" ;D

CraigV
06-01-2007, 03:53 AM
hopefully me and my buddy will be rippin' the shad in about an hour or so. ill be switching between a light action set up with two jigs, one pink/white dart w/white head and orange curlytail on white head (gonna blast a double today) and an old Fenwick featherlight with pink on pink.

also taking the video cam for some action shots hopefully. he went out the previous two days. 28 yesterday and 12 the day before.

ill let you guys know what happens and if good fishing, what colors were working.

chrome-addict
06-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Hmmmm, chrome-addict was at the basin. But why? ;)
Let me go check"that other board" ;D

...check your PM.

kromebrite
06-01-2007, 07:24 PM
The dog and I took a stroll down to Sailor Bar and I fished shad about a half hour. Right away had bumps and a few hook-ups with one brought to shore. I was having some trouble with the barbless ::) Then it died so I moved up about 50 yards and started getting hit again. Then it died. So they must be in small schools. 1/32 white head with a glitter pink body, small shot about 24" up. They liked a very active movement to the grub, not just a passsive drift.
So they are upriver, but not in big numbers it would seem.

kingcole
06-01-2007, 09:14 PM
The wife is going shopping in the morning so I am coming up for the AM.

Shad staking but I'll bring my topwater set up and see if I can get a slam Shad, Stiper and Squaw ;D

If anyone wants to meet up PM me I'll leave Modesto @ 4:45 am be in Sac right at 6:00 and fsh for 4-5 hours.

PM me a cell I'll check before I leave and call when I get up

Anti_Hero_Fisher
06-02-2007, 10:59 AM
I been skunked the last three trips :'(

Fish On

AHF

kromebrite
06-02-2007, 02:07 PM
I been skunked the last three trips *:'(

Fish On

AHF
Don't stay in one spot if you are not getting hits.

kingcole
06-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Quickie report and I'll ad photos on Monday...

Started off above Paradise Beach tossed topwater for a short time and them switched to swim bait. Got a couple dozen hits by some piss ant dinks never say any blow ups or any striper action except for the little squirts.

I worked a tandem set up for shad orange with chart. tail and a chart head with glitter pink under a medium sized split. No bumps or anything fished for 200 yards or so.

TT BOWB and went to meet him at Harrington we walked in to a little spot he'd seen that looked like it might hold some shad. fish that from 9:30 - 1:00 We both got one each [smiley=bananatiedie.gif] [smiley=banana2.gif]

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w243/kingcolejc/100_1068.jpg
Here is my First Shad of the 07 season [smiley=jumpinggroup.gif]

Then I went 0hhh fer probably 10 hits and of those 10 6 were good solid hits. BOWB had several hits that he missed too???? We must have been fooling ourselves the last two years thinking we could shad fish! At the least Rossmoor last year Spoiled the Heck out of us!

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w243/kingcolejc/BOWBShad.jpg
BOWB fighting a Shad on his Fly Rod. Would Have a picture of his Shad but he dropped him before I could get a picture...

RightHook joined us for an hour or so and he also developed the Shad Yips missing several hits..

It's very different from the last couple years I got real used to having nice strong swing drifts and just jigging with the slower water it's tough to get that classic fast swing drift.

I'm sure once they get up in to the Hatchery/Sailors area the swing drift will be good again as they have flows there..

Good times and good guys to fish with, thanks for looking me up George always good to see ya. I'm pretty much done for the next three week. I'm counting on you fellers to find a couple good runs over the next 2 weeks so I can get back on the back end and have a couple double Digit nights before they go back to the Sea...

chrome-addict
06-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Then I went 0hhh fer probably 10 hits and of those 10 6 were good solid hits. BOWB had several hits that he missed too???? * We must have been fooling ourselves the last two years thinking we could shad fish! * * At the least Rossmoor last year Spoiled the Heck out of us!

Try fishing your jigs under a float. Set the depth you want then manipulate your line to get a drag-free drift ...you'll stay in their zone a lot longer. Also, when they strike, the vertical tension of the bobber makes the hook point stick just long enough to get a good "set".
When swinging jigs, you tend to pull the jig away from them when setting the hook. With a bobber, you're pulling the jig in a more upward trajectory, resulting in more hook-ups.

You can also rig up a sliding float. This set up allows you to not only fish at a predeterminded depth, but also gives you the option to "vertically jig" your jig, so to speak. When the bite is off, "jigging" can often make all the difference.

fishrman4life
06-02-2007, 05:40 PM
10 on the lower American today between my dad and I. 1 10+ pound carp, biggest fish I've fought on 6lb line. It was crazy. I wish my dad had gotten the photos i thought he took of it. ::)

kromebrite
06-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Fished SB for an hour just now for bumps only, Krome had lost his mojo tonite ::) Guys across from me were hooking up steady.

FishNRookie
06-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Fished yesterday with Innovate and caught 4. Fished same spot today for 8. Starting to look good.

kingcole
06-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Try fishing your jigs under a float.

I said just that to BOWB. I am going to have to carry a slip bobber and start working that style. The shad were there and I'd bet a good float guy would have done well.

PlugROCKSTAR
06-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Pics coming soon ;)

Double_D
06-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Mr.Striper,916Steelhead and myself fished for Shad tonight....Mr.Stiper or as we now like to call him Crank or Heavy Drag had the hot hand for the hour we fished...you guys should have seen him fighting fish with his drag locked down horsing fish in.....absolutly no fore play at all just hook and crank :D .......he was so hot 916 had to put the Claudine to Mr.Striper.....here are some pics.

Mr.Striper with rod bendo's
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9982/im000676gd7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7855/im000679di8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/8349/im000682wj3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

and 916Steelhead with a text book Claudine on Mr.Striper ;D
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/897/im000681kw1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

PlugROCKSTAR
06-02-2007, 10:40 PM
I couldn't hook any of them lil' buggers so i borrowed Double_D's clippers and CUT "Cranks" Line. ;D Thanks for the goodtimes Crank and Double_D

Double_D
06-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Someone had to cool ''Crank'' down......he was just way too hot! ;D

PlugROCKSTAR
06-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Someone had to cool ''Crank'' down......he was just way too hot! ;D

That $#!t was funny as hell. [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

htuong95
06-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Fished at Freeport bridge. Got there around 10:30 am and left at 7:15pm. Caught twenty-three shad and lost a couple. We were using shad darts and grubs. Twenty-two of the fishes were caught by drop shotting grubs. Not too many boats there today

Hong

Wishnbfishn
06-02-2007, 11:08 PM
How do you dropshot a grub?

Thanks

Wishn

htuong95
06-03-2007, 12:23 AM
How do you dropshot a grub?

Alan Fong from Fisherman's Warehouse taught it to me last Tuesday. I am using two 1" pink grubs and a 1/2 oz. sinker. *Tie the sinker to the end of a 6lb test line. About 1 1/2 foot up from the sinker tie a loop knot then another loop knot 1 1/2 foot from the first. Tie 1 foot leader with the grub to each of the loop knot. Just toss it out and let it drift out a bit and just move your rod up and down. Kind of like jigging. The fish will bite the grub even when the rod is in the rod holder. For more information talk to Alan.

Hong

rtandersen
06-03-2007, 03:10 AM
Hey fishrman4life
Don't forget to tell that you caught a couch pillow that almost spooled you !

fissssh
06-03-2007, 04:43 AM
Mr.Striper,916Steelhead and myself fished for Shad tonight....Mr.Stiper or as we now like to call him Crank or Heavy Drag had the hot hand for the hour we fished...you guys should have seen him fighting fish with his drag locked down horsing fish in.....absolutly no fore play at all just hook and crank :D .......he was so hot 916 had to put the Claudine to Mr.Striper.....here are some pics.

Mr.Striper with rod bendo's
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9982/im000676gd7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7855/im000679di8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/8349/im000682wj3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

and 916Steelhead with a text book Claudine on Mr.Striper ;D
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/897/im000681kw1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Hey *Double " Claudine " _D, I seem to remember you doin that to D Impala last year and you still couln't even buy a fish.. My 14 year old nephew who had never fished for Shad befoe even caught more than you that day. *[smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

Mr._Striper
06-03-2007, 08:04 AM
I couldn't hook any of them lil' buggers so i borrowed Double_D's clippers and CUT "Cranks" Line. *;D *Thanks for the goodtimes Crank and Double_D
You 2 guys must of taken my mojo with the claudine move. Fished the same spot this morning for nada :'(.

Mr._Striper
06-03-2007, 08:10 AM
[quote author=Double_D link=1179180400/135#144 date=1180851702]Mr.Striper,916Steelhead and myself fished for Shad tonight....Mr.Stiper or as we now like to call him Crank or Heavy Drag

You guys havent fished on the sandless spots where I fish enough to fight fish like that. You know where and how we do it down there in Pacifica. Locked drag and lot of turning of the fish. Some habbits are just hard to break ;)

tankgrunt
06-03-2007, 08:13 AM
For the last two weeks I have been trying to get up north to Road 48A on the Sac. Last weekend Fishermen_Chris has car trouble, so we scrapped plans :P. Then yesterday afternoon I decided to head up by myself. About 15 miles into my trip I ran across a nail and got a flat in my left rear tire :-/ (Thanks to the guy in the green p/u who flashed a sign to me on Hwy 65 "LR TIRE LOW" 8-) I was able to pull over before shredding a tire at 70 mph)

There must be forces in the universe that don't want me shad fishin at Road 48A this year :'(

Americansteel
06-03-2007, 08:54 AM
took took the leisure boat out yeterday at verona... while i was launching some shad fishermen came in.. they caught 49 that day and earlier in the week they claimed to have been catching 100+ from 6 am-430 pm..

Sportyguy66
06-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Me and CAsnookman went out early yesterday. Started at paradise with no hookups. Did See a flyfisher hook into one about 7:00 am. After Paradise we headed east up the river and hooked into a half dozen. CAsnookman landed all 3 of his and I lost two and landed 1 but boy did it put up a good fight. It was a lot of fun doing battle with the Poor mans Tarpon. One thing I learned is Using braid really isn't the way to go on the small spinning reels. I had a couple reel bad line twist that I had to cut out a re-rig. I switched back to the 3 lb mono so hopefully I won't encounter the line problems again.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/sportyguy66/IMG00098.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/sportyguy66/IMG00099.jpg

Mr._Striper
06-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Me and CAsnookman went out early yesterday. Started at paradise with no hookups. Did See a flyfisher hook into one about 7:00 am. After Paradise we headed east up the river and hooked into a half dozen. CAsnookman landed all 3 of his and I lost two and landed 1 but boy did it put up a good fight. It was a lot of fun doing battle with the Poor mans Tarpon. *One thing I learned is Using braid really isn't the way to go on the small spinning reels. I had a couple reel bad line twist that I had to cut out a re-rig. I switched back to the 3 lb mono so hopefully I won't encounter the line problems again.
* http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/sportyguy66/IMG00098.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/sportyguy66/IMG00099.jpg
Good job guys 8-)

Double_D
06-03-2007, 10:09 AM
good job sporty.......I'll be back smetime this week ;)

kromebrite
06-03-2007, 12:28 PM
SG66, nice report.
In looking at those shad, I just cannot help but to have one word come to mind; STRIPER ;)

Sportyguy66
06-03-2007, 08:47 PM
More Shad this evening :)
None for me tonight But I didn't get totally skunked and 4 inch bullhead looking fish took my grub. My fishing Buddy landed at least 6 & another guy had two. The Shad that were caught today were bigger than what we caught yesterday. Maybe we won't get big numbers but at least we know the shad are in the river.

FishNRookie
06-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Fished AR yesterday for 12 between me and my buddy. Took home 5 for the smoker, thought I only had 2 females but they ended up all having roe. Ran into Can from the Master Baiter, he got about 12 or so too, based on his heavy-looking stringer. On at 3:30, off at 7.

Fished the AR again today for 5 and one lost at my feet. Also had a scary run-in with Mr. Sea Lion. Was pulling in my 5th shad and trailing behind was a 10-12 lb. striper. A second later, Mr. Sea Lion pops out of nowhere just 5-6 feet in front of me! Scared the living bejeezus out of me. To top it off, Mrs. Sea Lion comes up behind him and both stare me down for a second before realizing I had already landed the fish and wasn't giving it to them. After that I waited a while before throwing my next cast since I never saw them pop up again. No more bites so I figured the couple was chasing after them below, deterring any chance of me getting another one. On at 12:30, off at 2:45.

chicofishrmen
06-04-2007, 12:18 PM
For the last two weeks I have been trying to get up north to Road 48A on the Sac. Last weekend Fishermen_Chris has car trouble, so we scrapped plans :P. Then yesterday afternoon I decided to head up by myself. About 15 miles into my trip I ran across a nail and got a flat in my left rear tire *:-/ (Thanks to the guy in the green p/u who flashed a sign to me on Hwy 65 "LR TIRE LOW" *8-) I was able to pull over before shredding a tire at 70 mph)

There must be forces in the universe that don't want me shad fishin at Road 48A this year *:'(

And the farmer who owns the land/access to the river!! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/cry.gif There is a gate across the raod so you can not get to the river from Rd 48 anymore. You have to contact the farmer & pay a $30 fee (so I heard) to get a key to the gate. But I know the gate is there, stopped by to try some shaddin and was shocked to see it. You can always try the "washout" up here in Chico, but it's still pretty slow.

Wolf74
06-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Plug-n-Jug, a buddy and myself fished Sunrise on Saturday. We were fishing off of the footbridge. I managed to catch two, and a couple of guys up the bridge managed to catch a few too but the action was pretty slow. I hope the flows go up sometime soon.

keviwa
06-04-2007, 01:48 PM
I had a few hits but didnt land any >:(. The 12 pack of suds and watching the girl in the brown bikini frolic in the water made the trip worthwhile though ;).
* * Kevin

tankgrunt
06-04-2007, 02:33 PM
For the last two weeks I have been trying to get up north to Road 48A on the Sac. Last weekend Fishermen_Chris has car trouble, so we scrapped plans :P. Then yesterday afternoon I decided to head up by myself. About 15 miles into my trip I ran across a nail and got a flat in my left rear tire *:-/ (Thanks to the guy in the green p/u who flashed a sign to me on Hwy 65 "LR TIRE LOW" *8-) I was able to pull over before shredding a tire at 70 mph)

There must be forces in the universe that don't want me shad fishin at Road 48A this year *:'(

And the farmer who owns the land/access to the river!! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/cry.gif There is a gate across the raod so you can not get to the river from Rd 48 anymore. You have to contact the farmer & pay a $30 fee (so I heard) to get a key to the gate. But I know the gate is there, stopped by to try some shaddin and was shocked to see it. You can always try the "washout" up here in Chico, but it's still pretty slow.

Oh man!!! It just keeps getting worse and worse. But then again, if I could get up there and spend a couple of days the $30 might not be too bad. It might also keep the riff raff out.

Mr._Striper
06-04-2007, 03:04 PM
watching the girl in the brown bikini frolic in the water
* * Kevin[/quote]
Get any pic's? ;)

j_kne21
06-04-2007, 03:25 PM
thinking about heading down to freeport in a while. anybody done any good lately off the shore. i saw one post about getting them from a boat but none about shore fishing. was real slow when i went 2 weeks ago and i didn't catch any for 3 hours. thanks and have fun

Mr._Striper
06-04-2007, 03:54 PM
thinking about heading down to freeport in a while. anybody done any good lately off the shore. i saw one post about getting them from a boat but none about shore fishing. was real slow when i went 2 weeks ago and i didn't catch any for 3 hours. thanks and have fun
I would suggest the AR and not freeport. Fished for an hour the other night before going for stripers, and hooked 10 shad and landed 8 :P

bassn
06-04-2007, 04:34 PM
A buddy and I are looking at going Shad fishing tomorrow and we were looking at Freeport but I'm not hearing good things about that right now. Where should we look on the AR? We will be in a boat so we should be able to hit multiple spots but we are not that familiar with the AR. Where should we launch??? Usually fishing the Sac and Delta. Thanks for any and all advice :)

Anti_Hero_Fisher
06-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Plan on hitting the AR soon. Only really been there for salmon and all my hooks were barb less.... but my jigs aren't... So if my jig on my line is barb less but I have some barbs ones in my pack would I get a ticket? Or is it only the one you have attached to your line?

Because I know better to use my pliers to clip the barbs but I don't want to do it to all of them...

Thanks

ps Went out again with NO shad... Only had one really good good day.

chrome-addict
06-04-2007, 10:07 PM
...only the one you're fishing with. They've tried to scare me before for being in possesion of barbed hooks, don't get intimidated and stand your ground ...nowhere does it say that "you cannot be in possesion of barbed hooks", it's a bunch of BS. Both times they'd let me off with a stern warning, like they were doing me some kind of favor.
I ran it by Allen, one of the few decent wardens out there, and he too said "horse pucky"!

fusionstar
06-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Your lucky to get off on a warning, me and 2 friends got burned for using barbed jigs which we had no idea it was a barbless hook area. Still waiting for my court date to see how much the judge will set the fine. Anyone have a general area monetary wise? If its over 100 bucks I'm gonna stab someone. I had my license, stamps, and everything. First time fishing in the American river for shad and I get a ticket. Not only that, my friend that was still unpacking his gear got a citation for almost going to fish with barbed hooks. WTF is that? I swear this lady had something against us.

Smeja
06-05-2007, 01:10 AM
my buddy got cited for using a barbed hook while shad fishing the A. it was his first time fishin in ca... ever. he went to court to fight it did everything right and got a $700 fine.

keviwa
06-05-2007, 06:11 AM
watching the girl in the brown bikini frolic in the water *
* * Kevin
Get any pic's? ;)[/quote]

No, I'm married and want to stay that way! ;) ;D

Double_D
06-05-2007, 06:16 AM
Right now in Walnut Creek, I'm looking out the window at hi clouds over cast sky's......If I had the day off I'd make a bee line up to the river for Shad.....with over cast sky's it seem the bite is all day long....go get-em

kingcole
06-05-2007, 07:30 AM
Right now in Walnut Creek, I'm looking out the window at hi clouds over cast sky's......If I had the day off I'd make a bee line up to the river for Shad.....with over cast sky's it seem the bite is all day long....go get-em

Great Minds think alike!

I was thinking the same thing on my way to work down here in Modesto. Today is an all day shad bite...

A cloudy day in June is just sick for Shad...

Tight Lines all

Wanda
06-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Do you *need to use barbless hook for shad at Harrington and Sunrise area of AR?

delta916
06-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Harrington has no restrictions. Sunrise is barbless. The cut off is in Ancil Hoffman Park at the powerline.

fusionstar
06-05-2007, 12:39 PM
my buddy got cited for using a barbed hook while shad fishing the A. it was his first time fishin in ca... ever. he went to court to fight it did everything right and got a $700 fine.

Was it a Misdemeanor or Infraction ?

The ticket is $360 - $700+

Hopefully we get a judge that understands our situation and fair.

Its cheaper to run a red light and threaten other people's lives than to fish with a 15 cent jig. She took all my hand dipped jigs and darts. Im out of paint so all I have are lead jigs.. Might go out again later but this ticket is so depressing I don't feel like fishing..

Mr._Striper
06-05-2007, 03:11 PM
I too was thinking the same thing. But it wasent the case last night :(. They did not start biting until before dark. Met up with sportyguy66 at the area we fished saturday and it was the "Mr.Striper Show" agian ;).

People were Catching maybe 1 or 2 the whole time. I think sporty ended up with 5-7 shad and I cant remember how many I hooked and landed ;D

chrome-addict
06-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Your lucky to get off on a warning, me and 2 friends got burned for using barbed jigs which we had no idea it was a barbless hook area. Still waiting for my court date to see how much the judge will set the fine. Anyone have a general area monetary wise? If its over 100 bucks I'm gonna stab someone. I had my license, stamps, and everything. First time fishing in the American river for shad and I get a ticket. Not only that, my friend that was still unpacking his gear got a citation for almost going to fish with barbed hooks. WTF is that? I swear this lady had something against us.

I think that you might have misunderstood me. The barbed hooks that I had were buried deep inside my vest. When they couldn't find anything illegal with my equiptment, they asked to search my vest. More than once, they've also ran my license ...what's up with that? It seems to piss them off after sneaking down the bluff to bust me, only to find that I'm clean.

I wouldn't mind it so much, if they did the same to the blatant snaggers, but it seems that they only have the time to herass me >:(.

...Sorry, I got a little emotional ::).

RIGHTHOOK
06-05-2007, 04:02 PM

I think that you might have misunderstood me. The barbed hooks that I had were buried deep inside my vest. When they couldn't find anything illegal with my equiptment, they asked to searched my vest. More than once, they've also ran my license ...what's up with that? It seems to piss them off after sneaking down the bluff to bust me, only to find that I'm clean.

I wouldn't mind it so much, if they did the same to the blatant snaggers, but it seems that they only have the time to herass me >:(.

...Sorry, I got a little emotional ::).

You know...if its the same chick I think you are talking about she sweated me down at Rossmoor last year....she made some comment like "How you doing today sir? Just NOW pinching your barbs because you saw me coming?" I said "No, I know the regulations on this river." She then proceded to ask me if I was keeping any fish I said "No" and she looked all around in the water anyways. She then searched and inspected all of my gear, and then held my license up to the light to make sure it wasnt counterfiet...WTF??? When she couldnt find any violations she stormed off like a tantruming 2 year old and sped off in her truck.....What a winner....she had the people skills of a wet mop.

kromebrite
06-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Your buddy may want to consult with an attorney if this is a misdemeanor. He had not yet started to fish and therefore was only in possession of restricted gear. My understanding is that it is not illegal to have a barbed hook in your creel, but rather you must be actively fishing with restricted gear. If it is an infraction, it may not be worth the cost.
Some peole do not belong in power; it goes to their head. She must be held accountable if she is wreckless with her authority. I would issue a complaint towards her to her superiors. Enough of those complaints and the power-mad warden might cool her jets.
Am I mistaken about the possession part? I have checked the regs during slamon season in particular and have not found anything(other than rockfish regs and gaffs, etc)

chrome-addict
06-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah, a lot of you probably know Allen. He's one of the good guys. He told me as I stated above, that it is not a violation to be in possesion of barbed hooks, just the one tied directly to the end of your line.

BTW interesting RightHook, the last time I got searched, it WAS by a lady officer. Did the lady you're referring to have a dog with her?
It seemed that the more pleasant & cooperative I got with her the more irritated she became ...I was just trying to be nice!

RIGHTHOOK
06-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Yeah, a lot of you probably know Allen. He's one of the good guys. He told me as I stated above, that it is not a violation to be in possesion of barbed hooks, just the one tied directly to the end of your line.

BTW interesting RightHook, the last time I got searched, it WAS by a lady officer. Did the lady you're referring to have a dog with her?
It seemed that the more pleasant & cooperative I got with her the more irritated she became ...I was just trying to be nice!

Yep same one...she is "trashtastic."

Double_D
06-05-2007, 05:06 PM
I too was thinking the same thing. But it wasent the case last night :(. They did not start biting until before dark. Met up with sportyguy66 at the area we fished saturday and it was the "Mr.Striper Show" agian ;).

People were Catching maybe 1 or 2 the whole time. I think sporty ended up with 5-7 shad and I cant remember how many I hooked and landed ;D

''Oh Brother'' *::) are you starting to get full of your self :D I think it's time to slow you down Tiger...... you better start watching your back out there buddy-boy ::)

fcc
06-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Fished Upper Sunrise today for about 2 hours with nothing to show... no bites... no fish.. nothing :'( I hope some schools start showing up soon!

Mr._Striper
06-05-2007, 05:20 PM

''Oh Brother'' *::) are you starting to get full of your self :D I think it's time to slow you down Tiger...... you better start watching your back out there buddy-boy ::)
Ok, maybe not the "Mr. Striper Show" :-[. But dude, there were flames going up my rod and my reel was smoking 8-)

Sportyguy66
06-05-2007, 07:20 PM
I was the first to hook-up but it was definitely a Mr Striper Show. I was hooking but I could'nt seem to land any. But the real fun is fighting those babies and my reel was screeming last night ;D. BTW Pink seemed to be the hot color last night

Mr._Striper
06-05-2007, 07:38 PM
I was the first to hook-up but it was definitely a Mr Striper Show. I was hooking but I could'nt seem to land any. But the real fun is fighting those babies and my reel was screeming last night ;D. *BTW *Pink seemed to be the hot color last night
Dude, did you go and get your new line yet?

HOG-ON
06-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Fished the middle American this evening and had over 20 hook ups and landed over 15 shad. And don't ask me where in the middle American cause if i can find them YOU can to, just keep fishing and you will find them also.
[smiley=fencing.gif]

Double_D
06-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Fished the middle American this evening and had over 20 hook ups and landed over 15 shad. And don't ask me where in the middle American cause if i can find them YOU can to, just keep fishing and you will find them also.
* *[smiley=fencing.gif]

Thanks....looks like Thursday I'll be up.....I guess we now can say there here.

HOG-ON
06-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Call me D you may have a ticket to ride. 8-) 8-)

dimpala95
06-05-2007, 11:25 PM
I'll be up there thur- sun. Any of you locals pm me if you want to hook up.

fusionstar
06-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Yep, the warden that gave us tickets was a lady, it could possibly be the same person. She was irritated when we started flaming her with questions while she was writing the tickets. Shifting weight back and fourth, licking her upper teeth, and looking up with her head down at us like criminals.

I'm still bummed she took my whole season's of jigs. Hand dipped and colored. Spent hours painting it with my twin 9 year old niece and nephew (knows there way around hooks). Had 2 full rat-l-trap plastic boxes of jigs. Now I need to make more but I'm out of chartreuse powder paint and pink is almost out too. Hopefully, my order of paint and blank jigs will come on Friday so I can get them ready for Saturday. I had a bad experience with store bought jigs last year when fishing for crappie. If you can straighten out 1/8oz jig with 4lb mono, then theres a problem. I will never buy lucky strike..

Does anyone know if marabou or hair jigs work as well as grub jigs for shad?

chrome-addict
06-06-2007, 08:52 AM
That's too bad that she took your jigs, I don't think that was very fair. Instead, she should have watched you bend *down your barbs or something.

Marabou jigs will work as will spinners and spoons, but they prefer smaller profile lures. That's why the 1" grubs are so effective ...better still when you trim them down some.

HOG-ON
06-06-2007, 10:09 PM
6/6/07 Again mid American 16 for 28 with non stop bites.

[smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif]

fusionstar
06-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Awesome, I'm hoping my paint gets in soon so I can paint a couple and head out for an hour or two today.

BassJack
06-08-2007, 10:13 AM
6/7/2007 – Fished for shad off the rocks below Discovery Park between 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm. I couldn’t believe it that the parking lot was full all the way to the Jiboom Street Bridge! They were wading out shoulder to shoulder on the beach, but the rocks only had four other anglers. I threw a red 1/16 oz. jig with a pearl grub for three small shad. I only saw a few others caught in the area I was fishing. Two boats anchored off the shore didn’t catch any fish that I could see. I did see one boat down by the water intake towers pull in quite a few fish. I saw a few nice sized fish being pulled up on stringers on the beach. It was slow, but at least I broke my shad skunk for 2007!

dimpala95
06-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Anybody going out tonight? I'll be on the river by about 1600 hrs.

hemna
06-08-2007, 10:33 AM
anyone been fishing road 48 on the sacto. lately? I was thinking about driving up there in the morning for the weekend.

wcslingers
06-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Do you guys eat these awful smelling things??? Just got back form the columbia river and we caught those for bait, and Dang did those things smell. No wonder why the dinos like them.

HOG-ON
06-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Do you guys eat these awful smelling things??? Just got back form the columbia river and we caught those for bait, and Dang did those things smell. No wonder why the dinos like them.

HELL NO ! !

NICE DINO ! !

SLAMONIDAE
06-09-2007, 01:57 AM
Shad are actually one of, if not the best smoked fish that comes out of the AR.... Herring family and from the ocean, no little to no fat and flaky white meat....

so I'm told. I've never eaten a shad but will try it this year. IF I can bring myself away from the stripers long enough to fish for shad ;D

Stripers have a strong fish smell too but they ARE TASTY.

Reddingfisherman
06-09-2007, 05:31 AM
Any reports from Woodson Bridge or Los Molinos? A couple of my buddies have tried below the diversion dam in Red Bluff for only a couple of shad. Seems like they are way late in the upper river this year.

FinAddict
06-09-2007, 06:18 AM
Can ya say 2000 cfs. Yea baby ;D

Pimpinmeat
06-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Can ya say 2000 cfs. Yea baby ;D
Guess I should try to squeeze in a trip before the end of the month.

FinAddict
06-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Would that be next weekend?? ;)

SLAMONIDAE
06-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Can ya say 2000 cfs. Yea baby

A big disappointment with that one.

I saw your post and checked the site and sure enough 2100 CFS... so I broke out the salmon rod and spoons and a striper stick with some plugs. I figured on fishing the weir for stripers and the wall/bridge for springers.

I got to the hatchery parking lot and it was closed. The sign mentioned a MAJOR leak and there were 24" pipes spanning from the main valve to the salmon and steelhead races.

SO... whereas, the flow DOWNriver is 2100 CFS, it is very temporary and only because repairs are being made on the hatchery plumbing.

I hope they already planted most or all of the salmon smolts from last year and haven't lost steelies/salmon from this years stocks. That would be 2 years of back-to-back major failures on the part of Nimbus Hatchery and DWR.... to successfully raise and release salmon and steelhead quotas >:(

Mark

FinAddict
06-10-2007, 05:57 AM
Not sure about that Mark. The flows out of Natoma are at 2000-2100. The parking lot has been closed off and on due to repairs they are doing to the Steelhead and Salmon pens at the hatchery. I think the hatchery has been closed during this time also. The flows may go down soon, but hopefully the increased flows will bring in new fish of all species :)

tlammi
06-10-2007, 06:05 AM
Can ya say 2000 cfs. Yea baby

I hope they already planted most or all of the salmon smolts from last year and haven't lost steelies/salmon from this years stocks. *That would be 2 years of back-to-back major failures on the part of Nimbus Hatchery and DWR.... to successfully raise and release salmon and steelhead quotas >:( *

Mark

In years past they have lost all the fish to disease a time or two. It is the price you pay for trying to fix what you broke.

Pimpinmeat
06-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Would that be next weekend?? ;)
Can't do it next weekend, I off to Boise for the week leaving on Sun. The following weekend might work but I need to start getting ready for that other trip. ;)

shadmaster
06-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Does anybody know if the nimbus dam is closed to fishing

FinAddict
06-10-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm already starting to get ready. Had Wayne out today casting the 5wt.
I'll start throwin mine tonite or tomorrow for Shad.

Prestoked
06-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Does anybody know if the nimbus dam is closed to fishing

It is not. Saw two large, bright Salmon taken at the wall yesterday around 7.a.m. (sorry 'bout that, Mark)

shadmaster
06-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the info Prestoked

jtk25
06-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Fished watt ave. this afternoon till 7:00 pm for nothing. It was my first time out, but from what I saw from the other 3 fisherman there I was doing the right things. I wish I could have stayed longer. I didn't see any so I figured they were some where else. Have they already moved up river from there or do I still have time to get my feet wet with these hard fighters?

AzSprig
06-10-2007, 08:52 PM
This is not a report, rather an info request. I am interested in getting into the Shad game and would like to hire a guide. I would prefer a Sniffer if anyone knows somebody from the boards. Feel free to PM info so I don't take up board space.

Eric_csus14
06-10-2007, 09:08 PM
I fished down by Cal Expo, caught my first 3 shad of the year (white head with chartruese body, no split shot). A very friendly guy across the way said the action was red hot there last week but the majority of the fish had moved up river. Following his advice and leaving good shad fishing for hopeful RED HOT fishing, i hopped on the bike and peddled up river, ended up at Watt.
Should have stayed put, got nada at watt. Where are the fish? Sunrise maybe?

Fern-dog
06-10-2007, 11:06 PM
This is not a report, rather an info request. I am interested in getting into the Shad game and would like to hire a guide. I would prefer a Sniffer if anyone knows somebody from the boards. Feel free to PM info so I don't take up board space.

If it was me spending my dollar, the two best guides on the American by far who will put you into fish on a concistent basis with a ton of fun thrown in....
Russ with "HOG-ON" or Rod with "FinAddict".

Both are Sniffers, both have 1st class equipment, and both will not just guide you, but will teach you the ropes of the American with a history lesson or two thrown in.

Check them out, both are listed on this site. *Good luck and have some fun! * [smiley=bananasplits.gif] [smiley=bananasplits.gif] [smiley=banan
Fern-Dog * [smiley=odie.gif]

dimpala95
06-11-2007, 08:21 AM
I know it's late but here it is. I fished Fri and Sat evening for zero fish. I got a lot of short strikes even shortening my 1" grub. There were a couple of guys fishing next to me but not much action with them either. The flows came up a little Friday night for Saturday but it seemed to turn the bite off a little. Hopefully the fish become adjusted to the higher flows and start there push upriver.

garrett_s
06-11-2007, 10:24 AM
any fish near ancil hoffman

Smeja
06-11-2007, 12:08 PM
i want to go shark fishin but i dont have any bait. anyone want to go shark fishin? maybe provide some gills and tails?

RIGHTHOOK
06-11-2007, 04:56 PM

RUSS WITH HOG-ON OR FINADDICT....PM EITHER ONE OF EM....BEST IN THE A.R. DRIFT BIZ.....NO MATTER WHAT SPECIES.

Pimpinmeat
06-11-2007, 07:32 PM

RUSS WITH HOG-ON OR FINADDICT....PM EITHER ONE OF EM....BEST IN THE A.R. DRIFT BIZ.....NO MATTER WHAT SPECIES.
Never heard of them, are they any good? ::) ;) 3 weeks and counting Rodney, 3 weeks and counting.

FinAddict
06-11-2007, 08:27 PM
American going back down to 1500 tonite >:(

Yea, Junior, maybe 2 weeks for me and "The Hurricane" I hear the Salmonflys may be early. I'll keep ya informed.

Got a dozen or so Shad at Sailors Bar tonite. 2 1/2 hours of fishing. Got a 4 on the XP and the rest on the other.

j_kne21
06-11-2007, 09:01 PM
fished above watt ave. tonight from 630 till 915 and didn't get a hit until 820 . went 1 for 9 on orange head with green body. also saw 1 16inch striper caught on sardines and another bigger fish lost. the fish was running hard and the guy just tried to horse it in. -josh

j_kne21
06-12-2007, 11:22 AM
anybody heading out this evening? just wondering. thinking about doing a striper/shad combo. -josh

j_kne21
06-12-2007, 02:47 PM
just checked the flows after a phone call from a buddy and they dropped from 2100 cfs last night to 1534 cfs last night at midnight. how will this affect fishing? and how fast does it affect the level of the river from watt down? thanks any info would help. -josh

kromebrite
06-12-2007, 05:12 PM
What's going on with the lack of reports on the shad, particularly AR? Lackluster year? Lack of interest? What happened!? Seems to be some fish, not a spetacular year, but decent amount of fish in the system.

FinAddict
06-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Tonite was slowest nite for my boat, only 6. Group of 8 or so guys in front of us landed 15-20 maybe more.

Smeja
06-13-2007, 02:32 AM
What's going on with the lack of reports on the shad, particularly AR? Lackluster year? Lack of interest? What happened!? Seems to be some fish, not a spetacular year, but decent amount of fish in the system.

ya... we need shark bait

j_kne21
06-13-2007, 07:16 AM
had the best night of the shad year last night. probally 40 or so landed between 3 guys and i stopped counting how many the drift boat with 3 guys caught. from 745 till 9 was non stop action. alot of short strikes again last night. even shortened my 1 inch grub. oh well still a great night.

Jeff C.
06-13-2007, 07:21 AM
What part of the AR? Lower, Mid or Upper?

j_kne21
06-13-2007, 08:46 AM
middle AR ;)

chrome-addict
06-13-2007, 12:21 PM
alot of short strikes again last night. even shortened my 1 inch grub. oh well still a great night.

I mentioned this in an earlier post, but if you're not already doing so, you might try using a bobber. The upward resistance created by the bobber causes the hook point (assuming that they're "sticky" sharp) to hang up in the soft tissue long enough to get a decent hook-set. Also, while swinging jigs, you tend to pull the jig away from the fish when setting the hook. With a bobber, your hook is getting pulled in a more upward trajectory, resulting in a higher hook-up ratio.

Linesider
06-13-2007, 02:49 PM
you might try using a bobber

Chrome, I've not shad fished with a bobber before...how do you know when you have a strike? Is it similar to when I take the kids bluegill fishing...bobber down, fish on?

chrome-addict
06-13-2007, 04:05 PM
They usually "chug" the bobber under, however once in a while you'll feel it in the line before you even see the bobber move, that's why it's important to to keep as tight a line as possible without introducing drag to the float. Braided line really assists in this, because it stays on top of the surface film making it easier to mend the line, plus it's more sensetive than mono ...not necessary, but really gives you an edge.

RIGHTHOOK
06-13-2007, 07:25 PM

Usually by this time of year im shad fishing five nights a week...theres just not enough action from the bank this year to hold my interest. So basically last years high numbers of shad ruined me to the point that I wont work that hard for them. Plus, the numbers of stripers on the "A" have stolen my full attention.

The shad are here...but its nowhere near as "flash bang" as last year.

cabbagehead
06-14-2007, 02:46 AM
...ditto what RH#1 said...

Double_D
06-14-2007, 05:37 AM
...ditto what RH#1 said...

Dude........your posting at 3:46am did you just kick ''you know who'' [smiley=baghead.gif] to the curb with a kiss on the cheek and a Ham sandwich for here walk home, and promise you'll call here next week. :P

OceanSunfish
06-14-2007, 06:54 AM

Usually by this time of year im shad fishing five nights a week...theres just not enough action from the bank this year to hold my interest. So basically last years high numbers of shad ruined me to the point that I wont work that hard for them. Plus, the numbers of stripers on the "A" have stolen my full attention.

The shad are here...but its nowhere near as "flash bang" as last year.

And, last year wasn't exactly super either compared to as recent as the late 90's. *

This year is a disaster.

I wonder why there are so many stripers in the A? * ;)

j_kne21
06-14-2007, 09:17 AM
went out again last night and had a decent night for 3 of us we landed probaly 15 and my buddies in the boat landed 25 or so. would've been alot better for us but two guys decided to wade across the river and stand right in the middle of the drift and throw 4 ounce swim baits. once that happened the fish stopped hitting. oh well the flows are back up to 2500 CFS and i guess are supposed to stay that way for a while ;D. -josh

j_kne21
06-15-2007, 08:23 AM
fished again last night. water came up about 2 feet or so from wensday night due to the higher flows. water was a little dirty and lots of grass and other debris floating down the river so fishing was a little tougher last night. did manage to catch 4 fish but all of them were big fish between 3.5-4 pounds. missed a few other hits and saw a drift boat catch 8-12 fish. probally wont fish again until monday to many drunk people being stupid. -josh

shadmaster
06-15-2007, 09:05 AM
You should have seen the shad run in the 60s and early 70s

OceanSunfish
06-15-2007, 10:05 AM
You should have seen the shad run in the 60s and early 70s

In line with Stripers, silver salmon (yes, silver salmon off SF), kings, and such. *I sure miss the South Bay striper action from the 70's tho. *Too bad so many residents of the Bay Area don't even know what a super fishing location the south bay was in the 60's and 70's. *

The shad runs from the mid 90's to a few years ago were pretty good and adequate for all who participated from boat/shore and from Rd 48 to Yuba to Sailor Bar. *

I believe we are in an era where the DWR and FBR control the fishing conditions, or lack thereof.

FinAddict
06-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Flows goin up again, will be at 4000 cfs when we get up in the AM :D

Fished Sailors this PM for 10-12. *All were hooked the last hour of fishing. *Up until then, no hookups. *Got 7-9 on the XP and the other 3 on the spinning gear.

fishinmusician
06-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Right on Shad Master. I did experience the Shad runs in the 1970's. You could walk on 'em back then. Back when we started our little Shad Derby in Chico (30 years ago!) there were so many fish that during the derbyit was fair game to knock a fish off of your buddies line with your rod tip, if you didn't have one on yourself. It didn't matter much, because you'd hook up again the very next cast.

Gas was under a buck a gallon too...

fishinmusician
06-16-2007, 12:01 AM
Any Shad still being caught up by Chico?