PDA

View Full Version : Best bait for Crawdad traps

fishinduo
07-13-2004, 10:27 AM
I know we hit on this a bit ago, but what are y'all using to bait your crawdad traps for the best success? (And the least mess..) :P

Thanks!

Rich

STURGEONSTOMPER
07-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Go to your local .98 store and get yourself some caned cat food and poke holes in it and throw that out inside the trap ;)

fishn4me
07-13-2004, 11:16 AM
S.S. I totally agree with you, canned dog food works very well. I prefer a couple of chicken drum sticks tied to the middle of the trap, I seem to have better success.

fishinduo
07-13-2004, 11:36 AM
" I prefer a couple of chicken drum sticks tied to the middle of the trap, I seem to have better success. "

Cooked or raw??

Fish-on
07-13-2004, 11:38 AM
fish heads and guts hands down.....it is their natural grub

Alan
07-13-2004, 11:41 AM
The best bait, in my experience depends where you are fishing, the type of trap, and how long you are soaking.

For the tube style traps with funnels on each end.

Long (greater than 6 hours) soak, deep water, use the cheapest canned dog food you can find.

Short soak, shallow water (4-6' or less), try vegetables. Red cabbage works very well, when the field corn is ripe, and I am fishing irrigation ditches, I use shucked corn on the cob.

The biggest cluster of crawdads I have ever seen was on a dog carcass. I fished by that carcass for a couple of weeks until I mentioned it to someone, they lost their appetite, and after I thought about it, so did I.

One year, I fished next to some guys from Louisiana, they fished open traps, similar to star traps. They fished shallow water in ditches, short soak; maybe 1 hour. They fished 50-100 traps. By the time they had them set, it was time to go back to the beginning and start harvesting. They used bacon rind and were very sucessful. These guys turned me on to fishing shallow ditches on a short soak, previously I fished the sloughs and river, usually an overnight soak.

Hogsbro
07-13-2004, 12:11 PM
All of those work well, but I find raw bacon to be very good also.

fishinduo
07-13-2004, 12:18 PM
This will be "long soak", deep (15 feet), and *overnight or better. *They are the long cylindrical traps with extensions.

ratss427
07-13-2004, 12:29 PM
when i am short on dead dog carcasses.i have also had good luck using raw bacon. ;D

Erreck
07-13-2004, 07:22 PM
I usually use cut sardines or 'chovies in my traps. I find that the oily/greasy fish works best as bait. I have used trout guts/heads but had little success.

Dog food is also a good one but I never can get consistant results when using it.

Erreck

fishinduo
07-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Last time I used my old one I actually had the best results with anchovies.... *I think you are right about the scent and the oil.

Reel_burner
07-14-2004, 04:30 AM
Cole slaw stuffed into a cheescloth bag drives them nuts.

I discovered this 'dad delight when we had an old aquarium at work and all the fish died. We threw in a couple dozen mud bugs we had left over from a fishing trip just for entertainment. We tried feeding them different things but one day somebody had some left over KFC slaw and dropped a pinch in the tank. They went absolutely nuts.

This is probably best for short soaks in places like field drains and irrigation ditches with little flow. I'd use cat food or left over 'chovies for longer soaks or moving water.

mighty_bite
07-15-2004, 08:52 PM
At Donner Lake we put a good size freezer burnt trout in the trap and pull a lot of nice craws out.

fishinduo
07-15-2004, 09:08 PM
I Tried Sardine in it and got 6 in about 1-1/2 hours today. Not bad... I'd say.

Thanks to you all for your much appreciated input!

Rich

Boating_Buddy
07-22-2004, 12:18 PM
We are Delta boaters. We love crawdads but have been unsuccessful in locating them. We have a trap but it always comes up empty. We've tried dog food. We are located in the South Delta near Mildred. Any suggestions where we might go to try.

Empire
07-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Here is something to try: Go down to your local grocer that has a meat/fish department. They usually throw away scraps. Bring a bucket with you and ask them to put fish scraps in the bucket, in the freezer.

My old source charged me a "buck a bucket."

Sometimes we got out of date meats, sometimes we got stuff we could not identify. The price was right and the crabs/crawdads did not seem to mind one bit.

gotbowz
07-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Who needs a trap! I caught several big ones last time out at Miner Slough on my 3/0 hook...
They are apparent bait-stealers!

fishinduo
07-22-2004, 06:50 PM
We've had that same problem.... If you can call that a problem.. I call it free bait ;D ;D

Rich

fishn4me
07-22-2004, 09:34 PM
I like the bait bucket idea from the store. So was your buddy at one of the major stores like Raleys or Ralphs etc?? I wonder how a frozen bait block would work??

dogfish30
07-25-2004, 06:47 AM
Hey everybody, I've used traps like Alan is talking about and had great success. My buddy, from Louisiana, had about 100 of them. We put them out in the drainage ditches of the rice fields by Knightslanding. In six hours we darn near filled up the back of his pickup. Now I have a question. Can you catch crawdads up in the lakes in the foothills? I have two of the tube traps and I go up to New Malones, Don Pedro, etc... Would it be worth it to put these traps out while I'm trolling? If so, where? How deep? Also, do any of you soak your crawdads in anything to purge them? My buddy told me to soak them in either salt water or milk and this will clean them out. It worked. Thanks DF30

Erreck
07-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Foothill lakes? Yes!

Almost all bodies of water hold crawdads. I've found the best results in lakes from overnight soaks in 2-10' of water along a rockey shore. If you want to drop during the day, try 30-35' deep water with stumps, sticks, leaves, etc. Beware of making your trap marker (if you use one) overly obvious since people do get curious. During the day I'll just run my rope straight to shore and put a rock over it them mark a waypoint on the GPS to make sure I don't have to search too much for the rope.

As far as soaking, I put a cup or so of corn meal in a large tub of water with my 'dads. They'll eat it and flush themselves out. It doesn't take long, maybe an hour to hour and a half.

Erreck

Sardine
07-25-2004, 03:36 PM
I thought this was ileagle but up at Cassel between there on Hat Creek down to Baum Lake every dad trap we saw had a freshly caught rainbow trout in it. We didn't see any dad's in the traps but we did see the rainbows.

Erreck
07-25-2004, 04:31 PM
That's odd :-/.

waterdog
07-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Havent trapped crawdads in many years but for me anchovies and/or cat food or dog food cans with holes punched in them. This will also attract catfish so if you fish close to the trap you may get a catfish bonus. I have heard that sardines are oilier and attract more crawdads and everything else.
Waterdog ;D

Heineken_Man
07-28-2007, 04:58 PM
The biggest cluster of crawdads I have ever seen was on a dog carcass. I fished by that carcass for a couple of weeks until I mentioned it to someone, they lost their appetite, and after I thought about it, so did I.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D That is one of the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

Yaker
07-28-2007, 05:09 PM

How did you know the dog carcass was there? If you ca see it you can smell it [smiley=lobster.gif]

Heineken_Man
07-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Those crawdads got all fat and chunky on that dog carcass. I can imagine the look on his buddy's face after 100 crawdad tails then was told about the dead dog. Probably wanted to Chunk all over the place.

Alan didn't realize for 2 weeks. ;D ;D ;D

Jan_from_Humboldt
07-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Snails or bacon

fishguts
07-29-2007, 07:04 AM
I've just taken the heads of the the days catch, tied them to the inside of the trap and at sunset went out and soaked the trap overnight. In the morning I go out and pick up the trap. Its usually full with many hanging on the outside.

SuperDave
07-29-2007, 07:09 AM
bacon

Mr_Ed
07-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Pet food cans,fish heads are my go to baits............

When knee high, we kids would walk the small creeks with
a three foot willow pole, four foot of string with a half a slice of

BACON , tied in the middle !!

Rocks,shade ,wood and under cut banks or bridge foundations
were "killer" spots, in those, good ol days!!

Still a great way to keep youngsters entertained, even today..............

Heineken_Man
07-29-2007, 10:53 AM
I've just taken the heads of the the days catch, tied them to the inside of the trap and at sunset went out and soaked the trap overnight. In the morning I go out and pick up the trap. Its usually full with many hanging on the outside.

Where do you normally fish for crawdads at? if you don't mind.

TNT
07-29-2007, 01:38 PM
When I was a kid, we used to stay at Donner Lake and drop bacon on a piece of string down (kind of like Mr. Ed) and pull out a crawdad. Then we'd shake it loose and try again. Great entertainment.

I've eaten crawdads, but never prepared them myself. Does anyone know where I can find good information on how to prepare and cook them?

fusionstar
07-30-2007, 12:50 AM
Cat or Dog food only catches there attention and lures a few in. If you really want to catch Crawdads, just get use some Beef Liver(2lbs is like $1.29). Used it for over 10 years. Put a nice big piece about 1lb on some mono line and drop it in the water, wait a few minutes and lift it up slowly, if your in a good spot, your piece of liver will be covered in them. Great for traps too, simply suspend it in the trap. Cheap and I will guarantee they catch more Crawdads than canned cat or dog food. I don't know how people think of these ideas.

Ill tell you a story that might explain this.

We were fishing from the shore at a local canal loaded with fish. There was a guy there who had left his Crawdad traps there over night. He came to retrieve the traps while we were fishing and he pulls up 6 crawdads and puts them in a bucket. We asked him, "Only 6?" he replied "6 is pretty good, I usually only catch 2 or 3 per trap". Of course he took his friends advice of using cat food and I doubt that he has ever tried going after these mini lobsters.

That canal is home to thousands of crawdads. Every year, we bring out the kids and hand each a bamboo rod, with a 7-10 foot line tied to the end, and the other end a nice chunk of beef liver, by the end of the day the children each catch a 5 gallon bucket full if not more. People think I lie about this but try it your self, if you know a spot where when you walk up to it, and you see crawdads scurry away, drop a piece of beef liver around there in the shady area for 3 minutes and slowly bring it back up, you wont even see your liver as it will be covered in Crawdads.

Lost track and keep repeating myself, stopping now.