PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite Lake - Merced

climb_n_fish
05-24-2007, 05:19 AM
I will be spending a week at UC Merced at the end of June. Yosemite Lake is right next door and I was wondering what the fishing is like. I will have the evenings free and it would be nice to wet a line. Even nicer if there were fish to catch. I will have my bike and be fishing from shore. Any help would be appreciated.

freefishin
05-24-2007, 08:19 AM
I haven't fished there ever since I moved from Merced, but when I was there I usually fished for trout. Used a medium rod with light line, 6 lbs, egg sinker, swivel, 24 in leader with power bait. The power bait colors were chartreuse, green or orange. I usually fished the old lake side which is on the other side of the lake. Just take the path before the entrance of the lake and go left. I can find the street direction if you want them. At the old lake side I perfer under the trees to the right of the parking or the corner to the left, where the canal is. Carp are caught once in a while with shreaded wheat. Catfish, bluegills, bass, crappie are usually caught inside the lake at scott island and at the last picnic spot.

masterbaiter_916
05-24-2007, 09:42 PM
go in back of the lake there should be a road call OLD LAKE RD...it ends fish where the creek dumps in the lake really good trout fishing there....you want bass and bulegil fish the island...

Pimpinmeat
05-25-2007, 08:24 AM
I just had a nostalgic moment when I read this. When I was 5, we lived in Atwater and my dad used to take us there all the time. I remember catching a lot of brook trout and rainbows. Brings back some fond childhood memories, my first real fishing trips, this was the beginning of it all. We used to kill them by the canal or inlet creek. Then again that was 30 years ago.

climb_n_fish
05-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the replys. I was hoping to fish artificials and just catch and release, no way to keep any trout. I will be staying in the dorms on the campus. I'll give the canal area and picnic area a try.