PDA

View Full Version : Shad Bumping

Fern-dog
05-11-2007, 04:11 PM
What ever happened to shad bumping. Was it out-lawed? *Years ago I went out when I was in High School & bumped for shad in Walnut Grove and also in the Mokelumne near Wimpys. Do shad still freguant the Mokelumne area? *Man, that was work but some crazy fun!

Fern -Dog * [smiley=odie.gif]

Mr._Striper
05-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Bumping???? :-?

RonM
05-11-2007, 06:14 PM
If I remember right you do this at night with a boat. You shine a light in the prop wash of the motor and the shad jump in the wash. You scoop them up in a stiff net.

Fern-dog
05-11-2007, 07:59 PM
If I remember right you do this at night with a boat. You shine a light in the *prop wash of the motor and the shad jump in the wash. *You scoop them up in a stiff net.

Well, something like that. We never used a light. what you did was get your boat (usually a 12-15 alum), get in next to a rocky bank (about 4-8 ft out), get your OB motor tilted up for a good prop wash and place a large metal framed chicken wire net in behind the prop and net the shad as they "Bumped" into the net. For some reason they would be attracted to the prop wash. It was not unusual to get 6-8 shad in the net at a time. It was work! On a good night you could get 50-60 shad. Smoke'em up with some cold beer, good stuff! The nights with a full moon were always best and the best time was right at sunset and shortly thereafter.

That was bumping. I'm almost sure it has been outlawed though. Back then it's just how you got your shad to smoke. Now it kind of sounds like how we slayed the Buffalo. Maybe it's a good thing we don't do it that way anymore. I kind of like the ultra lite gear on the american myself, it's a kick. Sure would like to give it a go down on the Mokelimne if I thought there were still fish using that area?

Fern dog

onemore_pass
05-12-2007, 04:57 AM
Fern Dog
I remember those nights out on the Sac near Clarksburg,Bumping.
An old guy near Placerville would recruit a few of us young high school boy's to,handle the nets.Then he would smoke those tasty shad up and we would have a "Kegger".
I often wonder what happened to him.
Every shad season I remember those evenings.Standing on the stern of his 14 foot Valco,with a three foot net made of chicken wire,eight foot wooden 2x2 handle.When you felt a bump twist the net up and swing em in to the boat,and dump em into a big barrel in the middle of the boat.
Just thinking of it now almost kills me ;D

Fern-dog
05-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Fern Dog
I remember those nights out on the Sac near Clarksburg,Bumping.
An old guy near Placerville would recruit a few of us young high school boy's to,handle the nets.Then he would smoke those tasty shad up and we would have a "Kegger".
I often wonder what happened to him.
Every shad season I remember those evenings.Standing on the stern of his 14 foot Valco,with a three foot net made of chicken wire,eight foot wooden 2x2 handle.When you felt a bump twist the net up and swing em in to the boat,and dump em into a big barrel in the middle of the boat.
Just thinking of it now almost kills me ;D

Onemore.....
Your so right! To be young and full of "Know Better" back then. We always put the rookie on the trash can and used to cover him in shad slime as his dues pay'en break-in. Shad all over thge bottom of the boat. Poor man's slip & slide! Yup, those were some good times....