PDA

View Full Version : Shad one me none

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Well went fishing this morning around 0400 and Hook on some schools of shad.... Sadly to say.... many hook ups but oh my gosh... Had one around the size of my arm +hand and it just bent my rod in half... Thought I had a snag but the fish took some line off so I loosen the drag and we had a fighter... Brought it about not even 2 feet away from shore where I could easy pick it up with my hands... Was stupid that I try'ed to get my net and as soon as I got it... the darn shad jump and bye bye fishy :(

Well as you fellow sniffers already know this was my first trip for shad. And that what happen on my first shad fishing trip.... Still cant believe I didnt land him... And IT WAS A GREAT FIGHT so I am not complaining :P

Fish On

AHF

mike22ca
05-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Be careful when you go to grab them by hand cause their stomach is like a damn razor and can cut the crap outta your hand ;)

kingcole
05-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Agree! They are a tricky little booger to grab. I get them a rods lenght away and then start giving them slack to try and get them to pop off so I can go back to fishing . If that doesn't work I play them out and once they chill I just take my Needlenose pliers and grab the jig and twist it up so they slip off. With a pinched barb they pop off pretty easy some times if hooked in a bony part of the mouth you have to shake em.

I do grab about half of them back to belly and by the end of the night my hands are all scrapped up. When they are still going nuts it's a good chance to cut your hand open!

Most guys just drag em up on the bank and put a foot on em to un ook, lip em and throw em back.

If you have a rubber net and a buddy to take turns netting your fish just forget all I just typed!

I'm so jonesin for a Shad!

See you fellers on Saturday!

dimpala95
05-08-2007, 04:28 PM
If you go to Wallyworld and buy a cheap pair of cloth gardening gloves it will save you a lot of skin and blood. Just wash them things after you're done for the weekend or they'll stink to high heaven.

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Do you guys normally fish in spots that has a lot of rocks? Or fast current? Or a sandy beach? Or just any spot?

The spot where I was at had tons of snags.... Fish there its just the point of getting them without snagging...

So I was wondering if any spot is good?

Thanks

AHF

fcc
05-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Do you guys normally fish in spots that has a lot of rocks? Or fast current? Or a sandy beach? Or just any spot?

The spot where I was at had tons of snags.... Fish there its just the point of getting them without snagging...

So I was wondering if any spot is good?

Thanks

AHF

AHF, you could use a float. estimate the length from the bobber to the jig where you can get the jig in the strike range and use a split shot about half way to get the jig down quicker. Hope this helps.

-fcc

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Yes thanks! I was going to try it today but wanted to get a hang of fishing for shad just using weight and the jig head.

What amazed me was these guys where just using a 2 oz weight with a jig HEAD

Like wow are shad really that dumb?

hmmm

Thanks for the input and help

AHF

Fish On

fshn_4vr
05-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Does anyone know if Shad go up the Feather River at all?

Thanks!

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Yes they do ;D

Fish On

AHF

fshn_4vr
05-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks AHF. I don't live far from the Feather, so I'll have to give it a try. I've never fished for them before, but I'm sure the kids will have fun trying. We'll just park on the levy by some sand bars I guess, and throw some jigs from what I hear. ;)

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-09-2007, 12:59 PM
If you dont mind getting wet and watch your step either get some waders or go in shorts on a sandbar and fish the middle of the river!

I done it for stripers and its a blast especially with 4 pound test and a 4 foot rod...

I have seen peeps do that for shad buy they fly fish and they just knock them out. I only caught one in my life but I plan on catching more ;D

I hope

Fish On

AHF

kingcole
05-09-2007, 01:20 PM
fshn_4vr - Yes the Feather gets loads of shad. i don't fish the Feather but I think Shanghi bend is the most popular spot.

Check out the Shad 101 post I think it will give you a little more info on what to do from some seasoned shad guys.There is more to it than wading out into the middle of the river and casting away. To catch shad you must like all fishing
#1 - Find them
#2 - Have the proper equipment - Rod, Reel, Line and Lure/Bait
#3 - Have the right presentation
#4 - Come at the right time

Just getting to the river and casting out as far as you can is going to get you frustrated. Take 30 minutes and read the shad links that are posted at the top of this board. You will figure out the die hard Shad guys and soak in everything they say as the regulars are straight shooters... Well on the shad fishing at least.

Middle of the river is not where I catch my fish. You want the edges of the deeper runs... Read Shad 101 I have a lengthy post on what and how to do it and many others have chimed in on their tricks and tips.

kingcole
05-09-2007, 01:27 PM
What amazed me was these guys where just using a 2 oz weight with a jig HEAD

The weight though seems way to heavy is not what matters it's the Jig, location and presentation. I have used an oz egg sinker at freeport because I need that jig to get down in the strike zone and the current and depth require a little more lead. Same at discovery

If you saw guys on the Sac River tossing heavy lead it is because they are wanting the jig to be near the bottom and the current is probably strong. That said 2 oz seems to be over kill and almost impossible to fish correctly. Were they on a boat?

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Nope on shore... They were catching way more fish than me... They would cast out reel in and get snag but they had braided line that was like 80 lbs.... Hey its what I saw maybe you wont agree but I saw it.... It was like a salmon set up.... with a 8 1/2 pole

But yeah the current was fast and it was deep water. I was just casting out maybe twenty feet....

And about wading I know there is a lot more to it.... Plus normally on sad bars you can find really deep holes where the fish are

Fish On

AHF

kingcole
05-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Sorry if I came off as calling you out. Not meaning to. I don't doubt they were doing it or what you saw. I was just saying 2 oz is a ton of weight for drifting people catch fish all kinds of ways I'd never thing would work.

Where were you fishing at Freeport or Discovery. The weight may have been your issue you may not have been getting down deep enough.

I have been in the same situation with guys 10 feet from me catching fish every couple of cast and I can't get a bite. If they have the presentation down and your a little off it can be ice cold for you. Flip side I have been on the other end but I always offer up what I am doing that to get the fish.

Last year a guy was watching me shad fish he asked a bunch of questions and after 1/2 hour I said get down here and wet a hook the fish won't bite up on the bank. He messed around. and left after 30 minutes not taking one tip to heart. Next week I walk up and he is back at Rossmoor in the water this time and RightHook is up river 20 feet and BOWB is out with his buddy Jeff and FinAddict in the boat. I split RH and the newb and first three cast in a row I caught shad about 15-20 feet directly in front of the guy. He messed around and RH and I gave him pointers and he caught a couple. I guess my point is remember those who help you get on the fish and help another person later.

I have no idea where this long post came from.

AFH - Just to be on the same page wasn't calling you a liar at all just commenting on their set up as being a little over the top... IMO

You sound hungry to get into the shad I bet a month from now Shad fishing is all you want to do!

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Hey Kingcole no your cool I like how you give me some advice and no you didnt call me out and no I didnt take it like you where calling me a liar.

Just I didnt believe either cuz that is a lot of weight and I would get tired casting that set up for up to 4 hours like those guys where.

Yeah I just need to try different spots.

Thanks for your advice and everybody else

Hopefully Ill catch more than 5 in one day ;)

Fish On

AHF