PDA

View Full Version : Shad Fishing....

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-01-2007, 12:15 PM
How do you fish for them? Do you use a worm weight with a jig head and a grub at the end and just cast out maybe 30 feet and reel in slowly?

And when do they normally come in the Sac area?

I know I am new to Shad and never seen one in my LIFE and want to start going for them...

And can you eat them also?

Fish On

AHF

kingcole
05-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Look above in the pegged threads the one that says shad fishing and click on the Shad Fishing 101. i made a pretty lengthy post and several others have chimed in.

Once you read it all if you still ahve questions ask on that thread and I am sure several people will respond.

They have just started to filter in give it another couple weeks and you should be able to start getting them. All of June is hot for shad.

Anti_Hero_Fisher
05-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Hey I just started to read the info on that stuff!!! Its great thanks fellow sniffers!!!!

But can you eat shad? And would you fillet it or skin it? Or prepare it like how you would do for a striper?

And how many shad can you keep?

As again if I see this in other forms I am sorry I am repeating

Thanks

AHF

Ps I really want to go shad fishing now!!!

kingcole
05-01-2007, 12:47 PM
You said it... Just read those links that have been pegged up top and it will cover every question you just had plus 13 more that you didn't realize you were going to have about Shad.

ric1ric
05-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Last Year I smoked up a bunch of shad the wife and the Mother in law ate them up as fast as I could smoke em. But they are Norwiegns and they do love fish and bones don't bother them.

surge
05-01-2007, 04:47 PM
How do you fish for them? Do you use a worm weight with a jig head and a grub at the end and just cast out maybe 30 feet and reel in slowly?

And when do they normally come in the Sac area?

I know I am new to Shad and never seen one in my LIFE and want to start going for them...

And can you eat them also?

Fish On

AHF

Shad is one of my favorite fish to eat. Its really oily,so that make is great to smoke. There are 2 ways you can smoke a shad.You dont need nothing special to prepair this fish. just salt couple of days and dry it outside couple of days then just smoke it over night. One way is you go to the store and buy a smoker, this smoker smokes shad with hot smoke. 2nd way is you have to buy the same smoker from the store and rebuild it. add a 20ft pipe that goies out of the smoker and into a box where the fish smokes. this will let the smoke cool and this fish to me more fresher .you could build this box out of plywood and cover the top of it with any thing the will let the smoke come out slowly and keep the flys out. you know the way ham is smoked. Its great, sorry if some stuff dont make sence.

bankie_II
05-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Just a stupid question:
Does anyone catch shad in the bay or at the Golden Gates?

Pimpinmeat
05-03-2007, 12:56 PM
The only stupid questions are the ones not asked. ;)

I don't think there caught there due to the fact there is way to much water to try keying in on a school. It would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack and I don't think they are as concentrated. River fishing is good for just the opposite reason, they're more concentrated and easier to find.

OceanSunfish
05-03-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm sure there hasn't been a great deal of research conducted as to where shad go once in the bay or ocean. I know of a few commercial fisher folks that have never heard or seen a shad caught incidentally by hook/line or net from the bay or ocean.

It's a mystery, but nothing that will cause the world to stop rotating. ;)

upcedarcreek
05-03-2007, 03:36 PM
I caught a big shad while perch fishing from a dock on Humboldt Bay when I was a kid....

dimpala95
05-03-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm sure there hasn't been a great deal of research conducted as to where shad go once in the bay or ocean. I know of a few commercial fisher folks that have never heard or seen a shad caught incidentally by hook/line or net from the bay or ocean.

It's a mystery, but nothing that will cause the world to stop rotating. ;)

I too have asked some of my commercial fisherfriends about shad as a bycatch. They too have said they have never seen a shad in their nets, lines or whatever. By the way, shad are also a transplant from the east coast just like stripers.