PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually eat shad?

takinNames
04-18-2007, 02:30 PM
I have never heard of anyone that has eaten shad, it was always my impression that they were caught merely for sport.

My cousin(from Georgia) says he plans on keeping some this year to eat.

Does anyone know how they taste.

530hammer
04-18-2007, 02:33 PM
i tryed some smoked shad it was ok not the greatest but it was different i catch them for bait catfish love them sharks and rays like them i also have hooked some big sturgeon on them never landed any

SuperDave
04-18-2007, 03:00 PM
The primary reason they aren't eaten is the enormous number of bones. I've heard some pressure cook them to disolve the bones.

drstressor
04-18-2007, 03:04 PM
It's all about the bones. They have a great flavor if they are iced down, cleaned, and cooked right away. Shad row is a great delicacy if prepared properly.

Many people love to eat shad back east. I was surprised to learn that hardly anyone keeps them out here.

RIGHTHOOK
04-18-2007, 04:04 PM
I love to catch em, but I just cant eat em....anything that smells that bad fresh out of the water just isnt for me. They have a smell that is unique to the species in my opinion....ive yet to catch another species of fish that smells that way.

dimpala95
04-18-2007, 04:17 PM
The first year I fished for them I took some home to eat. They are actually not bad tasting, kind of sweet white meat. I think it took me about 30 minutes to eat that fish because of all the "Y" bones. I know pickling and pressure cooking seems to help desolve the bones.

drstressor
04-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Try some of these east coast recipes:

http://hartford.about.com/od/shadrecipes/Shad_Recipes.htm

spinfisher
04-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Shad row is a great delicacy

Ummmm, it's shad roe. Row is what you do when you're shad fishing and the motor quits ;)

The shad we caught on the Connecticut river had a real mild taste, and I don't recall that they had any special smell, which is odd, because the river sure did! But yes, there are rows and rows of side bones, and if you tried filleting them out, you just had these tiny ribbons of fish. Steaming and pressure cooking does make the bones soft like canned salmon, but the fish doesn't taste like much after that abuse either.

There is supposed to be a special skill to deboning a shad, and those who can do it are in great demand on the East Coast, where shad is a delicacy.

drstressor
04-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Ummmm, it's shad roe.

I knew that. I was just giving someone a chance to show me up. :-[

I never thought that it would be you. No wait. Of course I did. ;) ;D

PlugROCKSTAR
04-18-2007, 07:34 PM
I have never heard of anyone that has eaten shad, it was always my impression that they were caught merely for sport.

My cousin(from Georgia) says he plans on keeping some this year to eat.

YES, I eat them... THey are great SMOKED. I've also tried a few Shad Roe recipe last season and i can't say that they were bad. It's definitely something to acquire too.

surge
04-18-2007, 08:14 PM
I have never heard of anyone that has eaten shad, it was always my impression that they were caught merely for sport. *

My cousin(from Georgia) says he plans on keeping some this year to eat. *

Shad is very oily fish, so its great to smoke. Try to smoke this fish, you will never stop eat shad and fall in love with it. :)

MB_Kevin
04-18-2007, 09:56 PM
I went fishing with my dad and his Friend. They had said they were to boney to eat and just fun to catch. My dad caught a nice one on the boat and I was unhooking it. They started talking about taking it home and smoking it. Just as I think they were deciding to try It, I threw it back in not thinking about it ::)

That was the only one we got that day.

hellbent
04-19-2007, 07:25 AM
I smoked some one year and gave it away as Christmas gifts....haven't seen the people since

chrome-addict
04-19-2007, 03:58 PM
When I was a kid, my dad got me a similar East Coast book on "how to fillet a shad". It was nicely illustrated with 36 colored photos ...one for each step. At the end of the last step it said "repeat process on other fillet". I got through step 14 and tossed the book in the trash!

kingcole
04-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Rh is right they are stinking little Bast... One day while fishing with CabbageHead at Sunrise this tweaker guy ask us if he can have our shad that he smokes them and then produces a bag with smoked shad. He is quick to say I am real clean when I cook so don't worry.

Cabbage had a big arse helping I took a small amount not really wantinig to eat stuff from a stranger but I tasted it it was sweetish but still pretty fish for my taste. I gave it a fake job on eating the rest and dropped it into the river later.

Eating stuff from people I don't know is had enough but when its a tweaker looking dude can't do it.

I don't think I'll mess with eating shad again.

That said Someone should smoke a bunch for Shad Fest if theya re in the river by then.

Not looking real good for lots of shad in the river by may12th? Need those flows to pump up to get them moving up in decent numbers.

EastBayAngler
04-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Shad is very oily fish, so its great to smoke. Try to smoke this fish, you will never stop eat shad and fall in love with it. :)
[/quote]

Nahh... :-? shad is to hard too roll!....Try eating it! ;)

surge
04-21-2007, 07:03 AM
[/quote]

Nahh... :-? shad is to hard too roll!....Try eating it! ;)[/quote]

Yes, you do need to know how to eat shad. But it is a great fish to eat. I just salt the fish for couple of days, then take it outside and let it dry a couple of days. then just smoke it, not hot smoke, but cold smoke. That means out of the smoker you got a 4" 20 ft pipe to the box where the fish is smoking,that gives the the smoke to cool down. smoke the fish over the night. Its great tasting fish. I smoke my salmon like that too.
Enjoy ;)

chrome-addict
04-21-2007, 09:20 AM
The American Shad is the largest member of the herring family. The Latin name for American shad is "Sapidissima" which translates to
"most delicious". It's meat is prized on the East Coast for its high culinary value. Local fish mongers who can debone the meat get paid top dollar during their shad runs.
The meat is rich, succulent, and slightly sweet. Pickled and smoked shad products and traditionally planked shad can be enjoyed at spring shad festivals and purchased from specialty markets during their shad season.

Although it may not be for everyone, a lot of people who try properly prepared shad for the first time are pleasantly surprised. I used to smoke it for friends & family and most of them favored it over my smoked salmon ...or any other smoked fish for that matter.

Goes great with a frosty mug of beer [smiley=beer.gif]!

Serving Size: 3 oz. broiled Shad
Amount per serving
Total Calories
Protein
18 grams
Carbohydrate
0 grams
Total Fat
15 grams
Saturated Fat
Not Available
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Not Available
Cholesterol
Not Available
Sodium
55 milligrams
Vitamin A
Not Available
Vitamin C
Not Available
Calcium
Not Available
Iron
Not Available

*Source: USDA Human Nutrition Information Service

FatCat
04-22-2007, 09:16 AM
The ROE is the best part! They are not stinky but rather buttery and slightly nutty. I wrap them in bacon and cook 'em up in a pan! Be sure to poke a few holes in the skeins first, as they have a tendancy to explode like little grenades.

I have smoked shad and they are good. My favorite thing to do, however, is to pickle them. I have posted the recipe on the recipes board several times over the years. They are like sardines from a can (the bones become soft) but even better!

Squid, thanks for sharing where that pamphlet is. I have heard that it exists but have been unable to locate it. Properly filleting a shad sounds like a pain in the keister but I would really like to give it a try.