PDA

View Full Version : Seeing Red...

RonB
04-17-2007, 07:23 PM
So, I have a question...I have seen lots of ads for Cajun line with the red color. They say the color red disappears below 3 ft...therefore the line is invisible. I wonder about that...some of the most productive lures I have used in my fishing career have been red...especially red and white. I am not talking surface lures...but deep divers too, in both fresh and salt water. As another example look at plastic salmon egg imitations and all the tones of red they come in and the various fly patterns and lures that use them...so what gives here?

Just wondering...Ron

Trout_Terminator
04-17-2007, 07:45 PM
it is a fluorescence line, so it disappears. thats the jist of it, doc can give you more info on the subject.

joe_tomlinson
04-17-2007, 07:53 PM
The expert on color is Dr.K. He said red doesn't disappear under water, but it does lose the red color, and appears black.

drstressor
04-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Yep. Red turns a shade of grey at depths where there is no longer any red light to be reflected.

The manufacturers of that line must think that fisherman will believe anything. ;D

hellbent
04-18-2007, 08:45 AM
want to read a good book get "what fish see" it explains color variances real well.

Mickey_Thomas
04-18-2007, 11:53 AM
The manufacturers of that line must think that fisherman will believe anything. ;D Well we do don't we? That's why they are all getting rich selling us stuff ::) :-/ ::) ;) ;D ;D

Mako
04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
I bought a big spool of 12 lb pink Ande many years ago. I keep it in a dark place and still spool up with it. For some reason it works great. I have caught a lot of fish on it from Albacore, salmon stripers, etc.

Maybe they can see the pink less, but I wouldn't buy the red stuff.

drstressor
04-18-2007, 12:52 PM
The color of your line doesn't mater if you are using a leader. Most people use clear mono or fluorocarbon leaders. So the color of you line only affects your own ability to see it.

I fished Ande Pink for years in saltwater. It's tough, cheap, and holds up forever. I used to tie bucktails directly to it for stripers and I never noticed that the pink (more of an orange) color made any difference relative to clear Stren. Most saltwater fish are not leader shy with a few notable exceptions.

Drkfish
04-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Did somebody mention my name? I was just hunting around this part of the site for the first time looking at the shad sites and saw this.... YES, that Cajun line claim is DUMB!

The red line does lose its color underwater and will turn dark gray or black... but we all know that black can be a good color for fishing lures and is no means "invisable."

I agree with others that line color is often not important for some specifies of fish. I have used pink line frequently in the past with good results... in fact it is probably my second favorite line color because it is easy for me to see.

No... Cajun line does not turn invisable underwater... it probably does work fine... but I don't stuff that has misleading advertising

johnbfishin
04-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Last year I fished in a friends boat and opted to use his rig. After we launched I saw that he had bright yellow line on his reels :o. I thought for sure the day was done before we even got started. We were fishing Hell Hole for kokes in crystal clear water. With 8-10' of leader the yellow line didn't seem to bother the fish, 9 kokes in the boat by 11:00am.
As a sort of test I spooled up with the yellow line and used it in a small river but with only 4-5' of leader, I still caught fish.