PDA

View Full Version : Shad Darts Sizes for Freeport and where to find em

kingcole
03-23-2007, 08:11 AM
I wanted to get some darts since that seems to be the shad candy of choice with the Freeport Shad fishermen. Not sure exactly what size they are using but it looks like a 1/16 or 1/8 dart with no tail dressing.

I'm going to FW in Manteca today but they don't always have huge shad selection ad it gets picked early. Where else are you guys finding Darts and grubs? I have plenty of heads and grubs but like most fishermen i will buy more just because you can never have enough colors even though I know right now I'll throw Pink on a chart jig head 95% of the shad season.

Where should I stop up in Sacto?

chrome-addict
03-23-2007, 09:30 AM
On the Sac, it's a little different than fishing the American. 1/8oz shad darts (wedge heads) are the norm. Red/white & red/yellow are pretty standard. Green/chart and pink/white are also popular. A lot of these darts come with bucktails, but the bare versions seem to draw more strikes. Typical set up is a 2-4ft leader and sliding egg sinker.

Popular shore spots are Freeport, The Minnow Hole and Discovery Park. The Minnow Hole has been one of the premier spots for years, until recently. A lot of people believe that the bottom has been reshaped by the high-flows we saw last year.

Broadway Bait, Rod & Gun carries a good selection of shad darts. Fishermans Warehouse used to have some darts as well.

WAsB16a
03-23-2007, 07:48 PM
everytime i go out fishing for shad at freeport, i always stop at that little bait shop for my darts. i think its called reg's bait shop.

murph
03-23-2007, 08:06 PM
If ya can't find em they always have lots on ebay cheap, I just got some jig heads with that sickle octapus hook on em, should work good, it was like $7 for a hundred. ;)

fishstik
04-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Check out Brad & Sons Tackle in eBay Stores. They sell unpainted shad darts 1/16 to 1/4 oz sizes, two hook types (aberdeen or sickle) in various colors (bronze, gold, black, red) in quantities of 50. Price depends on size, hook type, and hook color. Highly recommended.

kromebrite
04-02-2007, 01:36 PM
While we are on the subject, is Freeport mainly a boat scene or can the shad be caught off of the shore?

kingcole
04-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Both -

When the Shad or Salmon run is passing through the boats will be side by side with bumpers between them covering 1/2 the river or more. It's pretty cool, just fish fromt he bank below the boats and your in good shape.

Same with the Bankies worse for Salmon and like the Basin a pretty rough crowd. Lots a banter between the Bankies and Boaters during Salmon.

Shad is more laid back and less bankies. Try from the Pump house down. I have never had great luck at Pocket road but you can get plenty of shad it's just a little different than fishing the American. The area right below the Pump house is packed with people so if you don't get their early move down river to a open spot.

Weekdays are always lighter and week day AM is very light. Catch and Release in not a strong point for the typical Pocket Road fisherman! If you don't want the fish there are takers!

Bring a language translation book because you will hear all kinds of language going on. Some probably hate that but I find it rather interesting. Many Asian dialects, Russian, of course English and Spanish.

From what I understand after asking questions from this site and other sites is from that Pump house on the bank just below the steel bridge out into about 2/3 of the river is a pipe that seeps the clean water back into the river (clean water? Right) The pipe is covered by rocks so their is a hump on the bottom causing a hump in the river current. that is what makes this spot the hot spot.

Double_D
04-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Both -

When the Shad or Salmon run is passing through the boats will be side by side with bumpers between them covering 1/2 the river or more. *It's pretty cool, just fish fromt he bank below the boats and your in good shape.

Same with the Bankies worse for Salmon and like the Basin a pretty rough crowd. *Lots a banter between the Bankies and Boaters during Salmon. *

Shad is more laid back and less bankies. *Try from the Pump house down. *I have never had great luck at Pocket road but you can get plenty of shad it's just a little different than fishing the American. *The area right below the Pump house is packed with people so if you don't get their early move down river *to a open spot.

Weekdays are always lighter and week day AM is very light. *Catch and Release in not a strong point for the typical Pocket Road fisherman! *If you don't want the fish there are takers!

Bring a language translation book because you will hear all kinds of language going on. Some probably hate that but I find it rather interesting. *Many Asian dialects, Russian, of course English and Spanish. *

From what I understand after asking questions from this site and other sites is from that Pump house on the bank just below the steel bridge out into about 2/3 of the river is a pipe that seeps the clean water back into the river (clean water? Right) The pipe is covered by rocks so their is a hump on the bottom causing a hump in the river current. *that is what makes this spot the hot spot. *

and all this time I thought it was my fishing skills ;D :D

fishstik
04-09-2007, 10:51 PM
To get a good deal, I had to buy unpainted shad darts in bulk. I bought 50 1/8 oz Matzuo #2 red sickle hook, 50 1/16 oz Matzuo #4 red sickle hook, 50 1/8 oz Eagle Claw #1 gold aberdeen hook, 50 1/16 oz Matzuo #4 gold sickle hook. 200 is way more than I need. If anyone would like to take 25, 50, or even a hundred off my hands, let me know. They average out to .20 cents per dart. I bought jig paint at Fishermans Warehouse, but you could also order it from Cabela's or BassPro.

Wolf74
04-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Considering how many I end up losing a batch of about 50 sounds about right hehe