PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the Carp fishing to start

ocean_314
03-28-2007, 06:28 AM
I am tired of catching steelhead, i want a fish thats firghts HARD!!!! Now if only carp would jump.

Here CARP Here CARP!!!!

catfished
03-28-2007, 06:50 AM
I am tired of catching steelhead, i want a fish thats firghts HARD!!!! Now if only carp would jump.

Here CARP Here CARP!!!!

Even though I'm a carp fishing fanatic (note signature), I can't believe you said that about steelhead. Steelhead have as much if not more power and stamina than carp and as you stated, they quite often jump when hooked and most carp do not.

Now if you want to compare carp to largemouth bass, there's no comparison, the carp outfight the bass by far. I'm not trying to offend the bass fanatics on here but largemouth bass just don't have the stamina. They give a great burst of energy in the first few seconds of being hooked including some incredible airborne displays but they don't last long.

Depending on where you are, the carp fishing should be going on now. We're getting a late start here at Clear Lake due to the nasty weather but they should start any day now if I can get away from all the ESPN bass boats prefishing for the big tournament starting tomorrow. :o

Americansteel
03-28-2007, 07:04 AM

Here CARP Here CARP!!!!

Where are you fishing for steelhead? Ill come get tired of catching them for you cuz up here we didnt get jack squat

catfished
03-28-2007, 07:09 AM

Here CARP Here CARP!!!!

Where are you fishing for steelhead? Ill come get tired of catching them for you cuz up here we didnt get jack squat

After reading some of his posts, I believe he's fishing the Russian near Hopland.

metalmouth
03-28-2007, 07:14 AM
I think there is a difference in fighting hard and pulling hard. ;D

Mad_Russian
03-28-2007, 04:17 PM
I've been pulling carp out of Sutter Bypass for the last 2 weeks now , steady fishing , average size 3 lbs , although I managed to land several that were pushing 9 lb mark .

okie
03-28-2007, 07:17 PM
mr, where is sutter bypass? when i was a kid in oklahoma carp is what we fished for for fun, gave them to our neighbors, catfish for dinner. while working in asia i got a liking of carp the way they fix it. would like to take a couple of days in the week to catch a bunch for my sweet wifes church (korean).
okie

Mad_Russian
03-28-2007, 08:06 PM
okie,

From Sacramento , take Hwy 70 going toward Yuba City , after crossing Feather River take 1st right turn , Sacramento Avenue ( paved road ) and drive until you come to a levee , veer to the right and go up and over the levee , and you're at the Sutter Bypass . Good luck .
PM me if you need more info .

bretmoua
03-28-2007, 08:53 PM
I love shooting carps with the bow and arrow more than I do fishing for them. :D

Trout_Terminator
03-28-2007, 08:57 PM
I love shooting carps with the bow and arrow more than I do fishing for them. * :D

same here ;D

MB_Kevin
03-28-2007, 09:58 PM
I've been pulling carp out of Sutter Bypass for the last 2 weeks now , steady fishing , average size 3 lbs , although I managed to land several that were pushing 9 lb mark .

At berryessa it is rare for us to catch a 3# or less carp. It seems all around 5# or so. We usually get into them later in the year but maybe that is because the other fish slow down so we fish it differently. I wish I could figure out how to catch them here at lake merced. I see them all the time with a bunch of koi fish but cant seem to catch them.

chrome-addict
03-29-2007, 01:24 PM
As a kid, I caught them on corn. A lot of people use bread and/or dough balls. I personally like using a mixture of peanut butter, cornmeal, and corn syrup(or honey).

When they are in spawn mode and can be seen actively cruising the bank (seemingly oblivious to anything), I used to catch them with a "corn fly" that I fashioned from either McFly Foam or Glo-Bug yarn. The key to drawing a strike is to get it within 3"-5" of their snout. If you fail to get your offering in that window, your presentation will get completely ignored.

...Hope this helps.

Steve_M
03-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Fresh water Bonefish........ ;)