PDA

View Full Version : Water sports and fishing

luvhogan
03-26-2007, 12:09 PM
I rarely fish on weekends, last Sunday I was reminded why. A friend of mine and I were trolling above Knights Landing (a place I had never fished before) for stripers. There was another boat trolling off to our right and about 75 yards behind us. Suddenly in front of us comes a boat pulling a wake boarder. It was like they had us in their cross hairs, coming right at us. We were running a 22’ Design Concepts with a 8 hsp kicker. At about 75’ of separation, we began to maneuver to our right, when the driver finally saw us and turned violently to their right. There were three girls sitting up front, possibly blocking the driver’s view. They passed within 15’ of us, throwing a huge wake.

As they passed they give the wake boarder the signal they are going to turn around. Sure enough, right behind us the make a huge “U” turn cutting right front of the boat trailing behind us. They again come by us at about 15’, cut across in front right where we would be trolling in a few seconds, make another “U” and come by us a third time and disappeared around a corner and we never saw them again. If they were going up stream, what was the purpose of the “U” turns. I can only think it was to mess with us.

Let me ask those of you who go both ways (fishing and water sports). What do you think of this behavior? I know the waterways are open to everyone, but what happened to common courtesy? I fish Hogan weekly during the summer and I deal with water sports people frequently. But never have I had anyone ignore common courtesy as flagrantly as this person did.

metalmouth
03-26-2007, 12:28 PM
luvhogan, unfortunately that kind of behavior gets people killed ever year. Most of these people believe they have an audience once they find someone fishing. They've never fished before and probably don't have a clue. Mix that with alcohol and it can become a dangerous and deadly ride.

MM

Mako
03-26-2007, 12:58 PM
I have a boat to fish/ski/cruise and I have been boating since my Dad took use out when we were 8 or so. That gives me almost 40 years of experience. However, I think there a lot of people out there on boats with no or only 1 to 2 years experience. They have no clue in what they are doing and they actually think that its funny when they do what they did to you guys. When I go by fisherman in the river I slow down to a small wake and when in the lakes I may power by, but that's due to the smaller wake that I put out at a faster speed. Also, belive it or not your better off staying above Verona to keep away from this type of problem on teh river, it gets worse downstream.

FreshwaterFrank
03-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Don't get me going! Well, if you insist.

First off, Jet-skiers should all be euthanized, their Jet-skis run thru a crusher.
Water skiing should be restricted to only bodies of water that contain no fish, like Mono Lake, Great Salt Lake, The Dead Sea etc.
Wake boarders, tubers etc. Electro-Shock treatment

catfished
03-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Don't get me going! Well, if you insist.

First off, Jet-skiers should all be euthanized, their Jet-skis run thru a crusher.
Water skiing should be restricted to only bodies of water that contain no fish, like Mono Lake, Great Salt Lake, The Dead Sea etc.

Well said!!! I agree with everything you said in the above post 100%.
I have never seen a courteous jetskier/waverunner yet and I've seen thousands of them!! >:(

Whacked
03-26-2007, 03:31 PM
and the ones that absolutely MUST blast their music at rock concert levels.
For those I wish a bad case of Tinnus followed by complete hearing loss.

annoying boaters and skiers, so tempted to send a lure their way.

Hmmm, fishin for waverunners. could be a new sport?

"yea, last week I got a hookup on a '04 jetski. It put up a huge fight but as you can see, it looks wonderful mounted over the mantel"

Mr._Striper
03-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Young, dum, and full of ***. I too am tired of those (bleeped) on the water with no respect for others. Maybe a video camera and a call to the police and or the coast gaurd for a citizins arrest or a heafty ticket. And who wants to here the BOOM BOOM crap over thier radio. I only fish from shore and there too these type of people have no respect for anyone. I would love to send a 2oz popper into there boat but then I would be the one in the wrong. Just my 2cents.

p.s. Whacked, nice trophy over the mantel

RonM
03-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Alright guys lets tone this down a notch, just because they don't have respect for others doesn't mean we have to do the same. This is the General Freshwater fishing board not the rant board.

AllFishNoWork
03-26-2007, 06:05 PM
If I had go-fast toys, you bet I'd be out there using them. I would have courtesy and respect for other boaters at all times though.

The stuff is really gonna hit the fan this summer if kokanee are on fire at Folsom and the rec boaters want to play where the bite is hot.

troutfan
03-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Don't get me going! * Well, if you insist.

First off, *Jet-skiers should all be euthanized, *their Jet-skis run thru a crusher.

Well said Frank. There's just no fixing stupid! >:(

Mr._Striper
03-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Alright guys lets tone this down a notch, just because they don't have respect for others doesn't mean we have to do the same. *This is the General Freshwater fishing board not the rant board.
Hey, sorry about that Ron, I just got a little carried away. I should of stoped at ticket. Tight lines to ya

johnbfishin
03-27-2007, 05:38 AM
If you think about it boating is unregulated. No education or schooling required, just buy a boat and hit the water. Unlike a drivers license or a hunting license which at least requires one to be exposed to the rules, not that they are followed. ::)

redmt
03-27-2007, 07:54 AM
I see no difference between the tournament fishing bass boats and the water skiers. The majority that I have seen are rude and obnoxious. I must step up in defense of ONE wake boarder. They dropped their guy, picked him up and started again after they had idled past us. Unusual , but at least there was one.

John

krazybob
03-27-2007, 08:53 AM
You will find (bleeped) like this everywhere >:( Many lakes have restrictions on high speeds during certain hours, but many break those rules. Most boaters like that, are newbies without any common sense trying to show off to their friends. I'm usually trolling fairly close to the shore line, and invariably that is where these yo yo's usually like to do their thing, usually to show off to the friends on the bank, when they could be doing their thing out in the middle where it normally doesn't bother other boaters much. We will never be rid of people like this, so we just have to be extra careful to watch out for our own welfare. :(
Krazybob

fishguts
03-27-2007, 12:55 PM
If it gets to a point where its getting bad or uncomforatble to troll, I pick up and go somewhere else. Theres plenty of places to fish and I don't want to be the casuatly on the 6 pm news.
I would have to say that last year at NM, Pedro, Union Valley, the pleasure boaters pretty much behaved themselves and I had no issues that made me want to throw something. Berryessa is another story. Its a party lake, the resorts know that and cater to it. I've never been to Hogan yet, but want to go this year to troll for stripers. It has a reputation to be a party lake too. I guess early on and early off would be the key. Hey, early trip to Hogan then quick drive to NM for afternoon Kokes, that sounds like fun......