PDA

View Full Version : I need a backpacking destination

spaznitro
09-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Hi all, In 2 weeks I was going to hike up Canyon Creek in the Trinity Wilderness. The area is currently closed due to fires. I need help in finding another place to go backpacking. Preferable with a lake as the destination. No more than 10 or 12 miles in. Please let me know if you know of any great hikes/fishing spots.
Adam

calebetis
09-21-2006, 03:55 PM
spaznitro,

Totally different direction, but I've gone to Wood and Red Can lake in the Emigrant Wilderness, just north of Yosemite. Wood is 12 miles from the trailhead and Red Can is one more mile of cross country, but more private. Fishing was great with flies, lures, and bait. The trail head was out of Pincrest.

Laporte
09-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Have you had a chance to hike on the Pacific Crest Trail? No lakes that I know of (doesn't mean there arent any) but great trout stream fishing. Get a map online or the Library & pick a location to hop on. I'm partial to the Middle Fork Canyon of the Feather River & it is loaded w/wild trout. This is in Plumas Co. Find Milsap Bar, Stag Point, Cleghorn Bar, Butte Bar & the fishing is wide open. There is some lakes (Upper Lakes) above Belden on the PC trail. Look in the North Fork Feather River up Hwy.70

rodrascal
09-23-2006, 07:11 AM
Try the Lakes Basin area. *Lots of lakes and very little company this time of year.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/plumas/recreation/rec_areas/lakesbasin.shtml

209_FISHER
09-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Henry coe state park has lot of good fishing ponds but hard hiking.

Wolf74
09-23-2006, 12:31 PM
The Pacific crest is a great trail the only thing is that it runs from Mexico to Canada so it would be a bit of a hike for 2 weeks. You could always get a map and section hike it. Personaly I'd recomend that you section hike part of the John Muir trail. There's quite a few lakes along the way and a few exit points so that you don't have to hike the entire trail. It starts at Yosemite.

atavuss
09-23-2006, 01:57 PM
what area are you interested in? of off highway 88 there are lots of lakes to hike into. what kind of shape are you in? Showers lake is an excellent place to hike to. up above Woods Lake there are several nice lakes to hike to. it will be COLD this time of year seeing that most of these lakes are around 8k elevation. probably would not be very crowded either since this is the off season.

spaznitro
09-29-2006, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the tips. Looks like we are going to the Caribu Wilderness area by Mt Lassen. We are base camping by Long Lake. Anyone ever been there? I've heard that there are trout.

Chuck
09-29-2006, 08:30 AM
I have never been in this area before but in the book "!00 Hikes in Northern Calif." you can get good info from the Corning Ranger District, Mendicino National Forest.