PDA

View Full Version : A GREAT DAY ON THE AMERICAN RIVER~CLEANED UP! PICS

SLAMONIDAE
09-17-2006, 12:21 AM
This morning I awoke with the biggest fishing hangover I’ve had in a month.
This was attributable to spending sunup to sundown on the river, the day before, with Big-Head-Rob (AKA Cabbage head) chasing salmon and stripers.

I really wanted to sleep in today but I had made a commitment I needed to keep.
SO, in with the French Roast coffee and out with the purple latex gloves and Hefty bags…
I arrived in the El Manto parking lot and easily spotted cabbage patch kid. He was wearing his suspender overalls and totin’ his lil green froggy. His girlfriend forgot to dress him appropriately so I lent him a pair of shorts.
TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU1.jpg
We walked down into the parkway (sans fishing gear) and quickly met up with a small entourage of volunteers. We worked our way along the bank, meandering the shallows of the river. This amphibious scouting technique made Cabbage Patch Kid think about and miss his lil froggy. He was so sad that he went to a nearby frog pond to reminisce. Between not being able to fish nor hold his froggy, he became depressed. I found him sulking and drinking away his sorrows at the edge of the frog pond. TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU13.jpg
It was so sad that even I decided I needed a drink (of apple juice) TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU14.jpg .
After a bit of coaxing, I got Cabby back on his feet. In case you wonder why the name cabbage head? Check out the size 12oz. beer bottle next to his size 1,200,000oz. head! TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU16.jpg
He wasn’t feeling so good so he leaned over a garbage can to regain his composure. Friends came by to offer moral support (and trash donations) TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU11.jpg
They came with boats, rafts, canoes TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU10.jpg
and even scuba gear! TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU5.jpg
Oh can’t you just FEEL the glove I mean, LOVE!! Yeah, Cabby’s sorrow was soon eased by the myriad of friendly strangers who also came out to clean up the river. TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU9.jpg TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU8.jpg
With this boost of morale, and a change of new purple latex gloves we were off to take on the world (or at least the stretch of it from San Juan Rapids to Goethe Park).

By now, Cabby was having such a great time that he busted out the moves with his hula-hoop.
TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU17.jpg
I was impressed but we both decided to surrender it to the canoe captain so that we wouldn’t have to carry it all day. TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU6.jpg
After salivating over the prospects of big stripers, we made a trash dump below the San Juan Rapids and moved on down the river bank.

As we passed by familiar and unfamiliar fishing holes, we told stories and thought about fishing trips and fishing buddies who wanted to be with us but were physically unable. I even called Mr. Sportin’-Wood-Carlo (aka-916steelhead) from a pay phone I found in the water but the connection was muddled…
TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU19.jpg
so I hung up and gave the phone to Rob to carry the rest of the way.
Wow! The American River is FULL of amenities… there’s not only phone booths, there’s port-a-potties too!
TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU18.jpg
It’s a REALLY GOOD thing we brought the gloves… and it would be an even BETTER thing if folks would learn to bury their TP and crap.

We Trudged ever onward, scanning and scouring the banks and taking in scenery as we moved along. Thankfully (for Rob) there was a trash dump so he was able to dump the waterlogged phone box.
TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU21.jpg
We had been at it for three hours and were starting to feel the compounded pain and fatigue towards the end of our long walk. This really became apparent when I found Cabby posing with his imaginary trophy fish like this Northern PIPE
TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU12.jpg
and this striper-BOARD
TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU4.jpg
I too, became semi-delirious and daydreamed that I was surrounded by homeless aliens looking for purple gloves and probe victims. They began asking me to share with them all of my favorite holes, YIKES! Luckily, I was able to snatch one of their small red ray guns and blast them back into the willows.
TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU20.jpg
The end of our trash-taking venture was a return to semi-normalcy.
TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU25.jpg
We hooked up with a fellow fisherman, teacher, and project coordinator, John who was there with one of his students, rounding up bags of trash and passing out bottled water and T-shirts.
TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU23.jpg
Daisy, his ½ Lab and ½ golden retriever was very friendly and well-behaved. We chatted a bit and then parted paths.TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU24.jpg
On the way back, we felt good about our small contribution. We reflected on the many creatures who depend upon and enjoy the beautiful and abundant, yet fragile, ecosystem of the American River Parkway. TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU2.jpg TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU15.jpg TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU26.jpg
Cabby went home to take a nap with his froggy and I decided to go to the Bistro in Old Town Fair Oaks to satiate my very large appetite. Here is the spread served up by and posed with my waitress, Sabrina.
TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU27.jpg
It was expensive but WELL-WORTH the money.

After a serious grub session, I offered one of the resident roosters a few potatoes (It was Chicken Festival day after all…)
TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU28.jpg
On my way home, I felt drawn again to the river. I decided to take one last look at the place I spend so many of my days, the place that nurtures my soul, that has so much to offer and asks for so little in return. I walked out on the old steel bridge at Sunrise and thought about big stripers, migrating salmon, and how in a matter of a few months, the mighty Winter steelhead will return to their natal waters. I saw kids with fishing poles and bobbers. I saw joggers skaters, and bikers. I saw families playing in the water below and I thought to myself, WOW we got it good!
TREEOFKNOWLEDGE.ORG/MARXPICS2/GARCU29.jpg
TIGHT LINES AND HAPPY, TRASHLESS TRAILS~
Mark

Empire
09-17-2006, 06:53 AM
Outstanding CSC! I saw in todays paper that 10 tons of trash was hauled out.

Thank you for doing your part!

fishguts
09-17-2006, 04:04 PM
What a great story and what a wonderful thing you did today. Thanks alot for taking the time to do it.

kidfish
09-17-2006, 04:42 PM
WE NEED MORE LIKE YOU ! THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS !

catfished
09-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Absolutely great stuff!! You guys really know where it's at. Now go and catch some nice fish, you'all deserve it.http://www.catfished.com/thumb.gif

CalifBob
09-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Chrome: Kudos for your effort . Thanks

Great write-up.......

CaliFishier
09-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Proud of all you guys, i try to do my part having always a trash can in my boat and keeping the trash in my truck until i get back home, don't even throw a cigarette butt to the water.
;) ;) ;)

krzyfshrmn
09-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Many thanks to all who participated in the clean up. It's just sad that so many others treat the parkway like a dump [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

sunracer1957
09-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Chrome

Fine fine job!!!

Thanks for the pics and write up, cudos to you and the others. Every little bit makes a differance,, I try and pick up what I can when down at the basin.. it kills me to see folks just leave stuff behind when thier done, hey if you brought it with you take it when you leave..RD

Next time you have something like this going on PM me and I'll run lunch down,, I would love to jump in,, but bad feet makes it hard for me to walk the river,, and this bumbs me out I live right next to the American but hardley ever get to anywhere but the basin :-/

Loves-to-Fish
09-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Thank you for your effort and time. Enjoyed the pics and write up. *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

LTF *;D

ITUKAWAL
09-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Hey CSC, thanks for sharing your weekend with us. You guys really pitched in and packed it out. Many thanks.

ITITIT

ric1ric
09-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Chrome Do you know how many people show up at your sign up area? I was at watt and they said they had 45 and they said Nimbus had 100 and Discovery had 100

vito
09-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Very cool story and pics. Thank you for all that you did.

cabbagehead
09-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Do you know how many people show up at your sign up area?
Ric, I think there were 28 signed up for the Elmanto/Rossmoor area, which does not count the many boaters/divers that came through. Not as many people at other areas, but the place is spotless now. ;D