PDA

View Full Version : Shasta, 8-31-06, Thursday

Budman
08-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Please let this stand as a report for the day. Another FishSniffer, Troutdragin', had wanted to go out today but the rough water and steering problems with his rig caused him to demur. This is my report to him:

As you can imagine, the 20 or 30 mph wind made it a fairly rough trip in my light boat. However, as I was headed North and it was a North wind, heading directly into that beast was much better than trying to cut across the lake to Dry Fork. In fact, another friend tried to do just that in his large Seaswirl about an hour later but returned to the dock after being buffeted.

I didn't get faster than about 7 mph until I got beyond Digger Bay/Big Backbone. However, by the time the Sacramento arm was behind me, the water got a little more calm until about 0800.

The cove at the Northwest side of the Bridge is usually my starting point if the Bridge is my destination and it didn't disappoint me, adrenaline-wise. My first hit came about five minutes after setting my Purple/White Hummdinger at 55', but alas, it was a Bass. By the time I got that lure reset, I got hit by a nice Trout on my Silver/Blue HD at 55'.

I trolled for about an hour under the Bridge but got nothing so drifted on down to Beaver Island and started getting some hits. The first one was a very nice Eagle Lake 17 incher on a "precious metal" Black/White HD I had on as a "dropper" which was only about 35' down. I later got an equally nice Rainbow on a Nickle/Silver/Sand HD which was also a dropper. Of course, this tells us that, while the bite wasn't real hot, the fish are evident from the surface down to 85'.

While I caught fish on a variety of lures, the most active one was the Orange/Copper HD.

There will be much partying this weekend by some of the locals as Labor Day is the signal that some folks take to return to the lake being thankful for less recreational traffic.

Currently looking at next Tuesday for another trip... Bud

ratss427
09-01-2006, 02:31 PM
thanks for the report bud.sounds like a steady but scattered bite.were you using dodgers?

Budman
09-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Ratss, I used 6" Slingblades. It is a fairly new size for Shasta Tackle.

Some time back they introduced an 8" dodger but I never quite got used to it. Gary recommends using it fishing deep for Salmon with Koke-A-Nuts. An option is to use two 4" Slingblades in tandom which gives the flies a little different action...

Captain_Morgan
09-02-2006, 08:14 PM
I used the 8" sling blade in the spring with a koka nut & caught 5 kings from 17" to 19". It does work. KP derby, can't wait for the next KP shasta derby.

FISHINFOOL
09-03-2006, 07:24 AM
Hey Budman,
I was doing some looking here for reports & such & you seem to be the big poster from up there.I'm looking around up that way for some property & may could like to find someone to help me learn the ins & outs of the lakes & streams & such up that way.I'm not sure exactly where we're gonna settle yet,it'll be somewhere outside Redding in or as close to moutains as we can get.We've found a place up in Shingletown & another out toward Plantina that we want to come back up & look @.
There was 1 out of Burney too we was thinking about checking.
Of coarse I'm more of a bait fisherman,but I guess I'll have to learn to use artificals more up there ;)
Anyway, keep them reports coming & maybe we can get together for a hot cup or cold draft or something next time I come up scouting for property.Hopefully in the next week or so ::)
Later
Paul
FISHINFOOL
Lonewolf

Budman
09-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Fishinfool: Check your PM's...