PDA

View Full Version : What time does Del Valle open on Saturdays?

Sardine
08-17-2006, 11:39 AM
I got two phone numbers for that place and the one that picks up is a private residence. Wrong number. *:( **I think somebody posted that it opened at 7 am a while back. *Anybody else going up there Saturday? Give us a hoot on the VHF if you have one. We'll be down towards the Darn and only have a hand held radio so those hills might block the transmission from any where else on the lake. You can tell us where the fish are because "we never catch anything". *;D Regards, Sardine.

209_FISHER
08-17-2006, 02:11 PM
I think they open at 6am to 9pm but you can cheak it out on their page on eastbayparks.org www.ebparks.org

Sardine
08-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks 209. It opens a 6 and closes at 9.

209_FISHER
08-17-2006, 04:08 PM
no problem ;)

cptfishalot
08-17-2006, 06:43 PM
I haven't fished that lake in 2 years ever since I picked up my offshore saltwater boat, but I live real close to that lake and I used to fish it all the time.

I hear the Stripers have been bitting like crazy recently...

johnbfishin
08-17-2006, 08:10 PM
They are supposed to open at 6:00am. Sometimes they are late, sometimes the gate is open but there is nobody at the kiosk. In that case I've been told parking is free but get your fishing permit at the marina. This was the day the park ranger showed up without keys to open the kiosk.....hey, it happens to the best of us. ;)

vdub
08-18-2006, 12:11 AM
yep i was there that day too, the kiosk lady forgot the kiosk key and let us in for free. Also one day, she showed up 30 mins late and they let us in for free.

it's 6 am, they bumped it up to 7 am for a little while during the winter season, i forget why.

if you want some report on del valle i'll tell you this. there are thousands of baby stripers in the alke varying from 11-15 inches. the last spawn was very successful and also when they opened up the dam to the delta, some small stripers sneaked their way into the lake. let's wait a few years guys, then let's throw out some trout swimbaits for the 20 inchers

if you are going for catfish, dont go past the narrows. they're staying in relatively shallow waters. the most success i've had is in hte narrows right before the first picnic area on the right. just anchor up and reel those cats up. I have another spot that you can probably figure out from my reports and pictures, but i havent produced many cats from that spot lately...

im going to tell you this now, you will get a lot of stripers, maybe a squaw or two, but patience pays for those cats

Sardine
08-18-2006, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the tips. :) We are going for the Catfish this time but will try for some of the Widemouth bass too. Maybe we will hook a small Striper or two on the bass bait. We will probably use worms for the Catfish and Rattletraps for the Bass. I know CapnFishalot used to load up on those catfish at Del Valle many years ago.

cptfishalot
08-18-2006, 09:31 AM
I used to have a blast at that lake, Trouties & Kitties..........and the occasional Salmon.
This is my last weekend off so I'm probably gonna go get my Halibut from the salt, but I do miss that place
Maybe if I can get the little woman out this weekend I will make a trip there, she HATES the big water.

atavuss
08-18-2006, 02:29 PM
will the trout bite resume once it cools off or is there no more trout fishing until next year's DFG plants?

Sardine
08-18-2006, 03:44 PM
So Capn', that's what happened. A bigger boat. I used to read all your posts about Del Valle. You'd fish for trout and then go limit out on the kitties too. One time you went out when we were up at Tower Park Marina on the river up there and you were there catching Salmon on a wiggle wart. I think that's what you said. We didn't even get a bite. My little woman gets sick in the car so any motion wrecks her day. She hates the big water too. She can even get motion sick on a flat calm lake at 9 am just because another boat went by and we got the wake. *>:( *If I didn't love her I'd think about trading her in. *;D I don't know much about the trout in there.

cptfishalot
08-19-2006, 09:13 AM
There must be some strong vibrations about DV my buddy Gillsnatcha just called me and told me that he is loading up his boat and headed up to DV, it's been about 3 years for him also.

Yes, the culprit is a BIGGER BOAT and I've been fishing Lake Pacific (Ocean) and the Ole Sac. for these past 3 years.......

My wife is the same way, last week we took a road trip to Pismo Beach and Santa Barbara and drove the PCH and she made me take 101 on the way back, something about being so close to the cliffs and the height and of course the motion (hahahahaha)

Well, I'm sitting here watching some fishing shows waiting on our second HDTV to be delivered, once you get one now we are replacing all the TV's and then hopefully Gillsnatcha will stop by and I can do a "soft sell" on the "little woman" and go get my boat the "Monster" and hit Lake DV......I'm almost excited...................

Hey Sardine, hope things have been well for you and family, getting to be that time of year for the River Salmon and then I won't have to do any salt water cleanup.... ;D

cptfishalot
08-19-2006, 09:17 AM
will the trout bite resume once it cools off or is there no more trout fishing until next year's DFG plants?

Oh !!!!

If I remember correctly this used to be my favorite time to fish for Trout cause if you have downriggers it's easy cause they are all down deep by the Dam, just get the lure to them and you will have a nice limit...

They stop planting Trout till the water cools off, but they are in there and easy cause they all in the same area...

Hope this helps....

I'll be on Ch. 68 or 88 give a holla........

atavuss
08-19-2006, 01:10 PM

Oh !!!!

If I remember correctly this used to be my favorite time to fish for Trout cause if you have downriggers it's easy cause they are all down deep by the Dam, just get the lure to them and you will have a nice limit...

They stop planting Trout till the water cools off, but they are in there and easy cause they all in the same area...

Hope this helps....

I'll be on Ch. 68 or 88 give a holla........

just added another DR to my small boat, will try DV when the 100 degree days are gone for good later this year. thanks for the info!

Sardine
08-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Hey Capn. We made it. :) We were there from 7 am to 3 pm. We didn't catch anything, again. We were mostly down by the dam. I don't know if anyone else was catching anything. I had the VHF on for 2 or 3 hours but finally turned it off. I had it on the wrong channel anyway. I was on channel 69. Hope you did better than we did. Sardine.

cptfishalot
08-19-2006, 08:25 PM
I stayed near the Marina........

It never fails every time I'm there on a weekend someone hurts themselves in the water... I hope they are OK....

Didn't get on the water till 2PM....
Ended up catching and releasing 4 undersized Stripers
2 Squawfish and 3 nice Catfish, ............
All bit on frozen Herring that I had in my bait freezer that I've been using to troll for Halibut in the bay....
My buddy "Gillsnatcha" ended up with a Nice 7lb Catfish........he fish at first near the Marina and then took his boat to Heron By and that is where he landed his fish...
Still I expected alot more action............

PS. Caught some killer sun.............. ;D

vdub
08-20-2006, 01:44 AM
im going to try to get out there on monday, i'll report out on my catch.

209_FISHER
08-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Hello again,

I havent been to DV in along time. I heard some rumors that the lake is srinking. I hope this isnt the case so you guys that go there, can you tell me those rumors are true. thanks

vdub
08-21-2006, 05:01 PM
if by shrinking you mean the wate rlevel is lowering, that is normal. it happens seasonally.

but if you mean the fish level is decreasing, i'm not sure. ever since they handed the deal over to ebparks, they havent been able to stock it as consistently as upc did. a lot of people come back empty handed, but i usually dont. i never leave the lake without anything in my cooler.

I went today, my report is probably pretty mild compared to my other ones. we only got 2 small cats today, about 1-3 lbs each. and merely 3 striper bites.

209_FISHER
08-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Well i didnt know since i havent been in a few years. :( Also i dint have much luck fishing there the few times i did. The only fish caught were a few bluegills and but i also cught a :oturtle :-/ yeah i caught a turtle wonder how many times thet happen. at first i thought it was a catfish since i was using chicken liver. and surprisingly it faught pretty good.

Regardless DV is a pretty place esecially the hiking trails. :)

atavuss
08-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Well i didnt know since i havent been in a few years. :( *Also i dint have much luck fishing there the few times i did. The only fish caught were a few bluegills and but i also cught a *:oturtle :-/ yeah i caught a turtle wonder how many times thet happen. at first i thought it was a catfish since i was using chicken liver. and *surprisingly it faught pretty good.

Regardless DV is a pretty place esecially the hiking trails. :)

interesting about the turtle! where did the hook end up, and how did you remove the hook?
the hiking trails are great during winter, fall, and spring........too hot in the summer unless you go at first light in the morning.

209_FISHER
08-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah those trails are great. So far i seen a fox mountain lion and alot of deers and birds.

As for the turtle, i was using chicken liver for cat fish. then i saw my pole bending so i thought a catfish hook it self so i pulled my pole to make sure it was hoked the my line ran for a minute or so. it was like pulling a bigo bulegil since how its body is shape i think. when i got it on shore without a net, it was pretty hard to get its hook out. i think it was a 3-5 pound box turtle but it acted liked a snapper since it keep snapping at me when i reached for the hook. also kept going in its shell. after about five minites some mexican came to see wat the troble was about so they got the hook out with a pliers. They also made sure i threw it back because i was probly goin to keep it for a pet since i was still young and wanted a turtle. all in all it was a good fight on 8 pound test.

o yea the hook was in its mouth

atavuss
08-23-2006, 05:09 PM
if it was a western pond turtle they are a protected speices. I was sitting on a bench overlooking the lake after a hike and a bald eagle flew right over me at about 50' high. by the time I got my camera on it was a blur. also have seen a few coyote there. even though I look every time I hike there I have never seen a rattlesnake.

209_FISHER
08-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Yeah i never seen a rattlesnake ethier.

um i got a question atavuss, you know those big black birds there? wat r they? and do u know anything if you hike ohlone trail for about 5 miles in the spring that you see a water fall?

atavuss
08-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Yeah i never seen a rattlesnake ethier.

um i got a question atavuss, you know those big black birds there? wat r they? and do u know anything if you hike ohlone trail for about 5 miles in the spring that you see a water fall?

big black bird? could they be crows? or are you talking about the big birds that circle and ride the thermals?
never have seen a waterfall anywhere there.

doccjc
08-24-2006, 09:11 PM
DV.. *one of my favorite lakes,,, *little bit of everything,,,couple weeks ago,,,saw a bald eagle go for a fish that was floating in the middle of the lake,, it missed,,, then came back in time for me to grab my camera and get a pic of it with the fish,,, *didn't zoom in as much as I wish,, but still got it..... . *then last week my son and I were fishing for cats,,, and all of a sudden a few rocks were rolling down the hill above us,,into the water, *I started yelling to whoever was "throwing" the rocks,,only to *see a fox kicking at rocks ,,going after something,,,,,lots of wildlife,,and some nice cats,,,,only complaint..... those pesky yellow jackets going after the chicken liver,and whatever came in contact with the livers,, got stung twice ,but was worth it,,,,,,oh yeah,,,maybe take away a few of those real hot days,,, *we were out there in that 114 degree heat wave,,,,,,,,,, *lately,,,, just catfish,,, *lots of baby stripers(some pretty good size), squaw fish,,,,,,,,,,never seen a turtle,,,

vdub
08-26-2006, 12:26 AM
yea dam those stripers, they jack a lot of bait. the way i avoid them is i used 2/0 hooks. it's too hard for them to fit the liver in their mouth so you can tell when it's a striper bite or a catfish bite

if you want to practice some catch and release striper, it's pretty fun, use a size 4 hook. small piece of chicken liver, and bam, you're in business

i've learned to live with the yellowjackets. i just dont like it when they're sucking chicken blood off your fingers