PDA

View Full Version : Lures that catch fishermen….

ol_dude
08-10-2006, 09:09 PM
I’ll admit it… I’m in the marketing business… I typically steer clear and laugh at fancy packaging and flash designed to draw your eyes away from a products weaknesses cause I know better… hey I’m a professional…
The other day I’m in fisherman’s warehouse to stock-up on my tried and true (read: ugly, boring and low tech) lures… Then I seen it… what I thought surely was a lure that was needed to catch those lunkers I’ve been spotting on the finder that wait for the newly planted trout to make a mistake… stray out and pass by for an easy meal… It was beautiful, lifelike and the design looked guaranteed to put a large fish in an “eat me” trance…. The “award winner” sticker on the packaging just had to be ligit… It was pricy – but in my star-struck state of mind… worth every dollar…. Tough decision – get the lure or buy my wife her frozen weight-watcher dinners… hummm… what to do… ah... she’ll get over it…
Took it to my local trout haunt the very next morning and couldn’t wait to get it in the water… Fished it 3 hours and not even a bump… I thought it must have been me… I cast it… trolled it… bait sauced it in almost every flavor I had…shortened leaders, tried a flasher and every conceivable combination to bring it up to it’s lunker catching perfection and potential… nothing… zip…zilch…nada…
Time to give it a break… threw on my ol’ ugly, well-worn jointed rapala and bang…. Within 3 minutes fish-on…
Then it hit me…. Here I am in the middle of the lake laughing at myself for knowing better and feeling exactly what that a fish feels like when they get hooked… I thought it could never happen to me… yep… that pricey piece of perfection caught me right in the wallet…. Ego, line and sinker….
true story...
Very humbly yours,
Ol' dude

BITE_ME_II
08-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the real world :)

BITE ME II
8-) 8-)

fourbizzle
08-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Hey Ol Dude!

What fancy, over priced, lunker buster where you using? There are a few at fisherman's that I have had my eye on. If you wanna get rid of it, I might be able to make some of your money back. Shoot me a PM if you'd like.

FB

Wolf74
08-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Don't tell me it was the helicopter lure or the banjo minno.

ol_dude
08-11-2006, 08:19 AM
Thanks FB for the offer… I’ll keep it for sentimental reasons…. To remind me - even the old cagy, wary fishermen get caught every now and then… The brand is not important… it may work great for others… just not me… so I don’t want to trash talk the manufacturer… I will just say that it is the hands-down best life-like replica of a small trout I have ever seen… and I have seen the majority of them…

As far as a “banjo minnow”… hee hee… too funny… you gotta give me a little more credit than that…

This whole experience was just a great lesson in “keep it simple stupid” and stop trying to make this sport I enjoy – so darn predictable…. What I think fish want and what actually triggers a bite can be very far from each other… It’s like several years ago when the firetiger pattern first came on the market… I though – now why would a fish even consider it??? I resisted using this pattern even though I was hearing great results… It’s now a major player in my arsenal…

metalmouth
08-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Welcome to the boards, ol dude. I can tell you that I'll be watching for your posts. As a certified tackle junkie, I can profess to having quite a few lures that catch fishermen. ;D Thanks for the great post and the story we can all relate to. ;)

MM

Oxbow
08-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks for a great story. I admit to haveing way too many worthless pretty things myself but I'm still convinced that just about any piece of junk you tie on the line will at some time and some place catch at least a fish, it just isn't worth the time and effort to wait for that really stupid fish when you have more productive stuff in the tackle box. ;D

Kneedeep
08-11-2006, 09:15 AM
I went fishing one time with a friend who used a lure that was a Cleveland Browns football helmet, it had a bill on the front for diving and looked just like the helmets the browns wear. orange. Well he caught a nice salmon. no kidden. Kneedeep

Empire
08-11-2006, 04:27 PM
I hear ya.

I have 2 tackle boxes full of stuff, most of which I never use. I cannot leave anything at home because what if everyone at the lake is using lure "X" and I left my in the garage?

BITE_ME_II
08-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Empire !! Only two ??

FatCat
08-11-2006, 05:57 PM
It's all about the genetic response!

ric1ric
08-11-2006, 07:35 PM
I love some of the swim baits out there, not because they produce. Just the opposite all that I have caught on them is an accidental small mouth. But they look so real swimming I think how can a fish resist it?? ::)
Oh well maybe the next one I buy will slay em! ;D

fourbizzle
08-11-2006, 08:12 PM
I think you only really need 3 or4 swimbaits. That being said, i have way, way, way, more. They can certainly be gorgeous though!

Seceret_hole
08-11-2006, 09:24 PM
My 3 favorite lures! Kastmaster being the best all around for me....

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/Secret_whole/Markscrazypics009.jpg

Mr_Ed
08-12-2006, 12:46 PM
What gets me is that we probably all have at least over 75, maybe
100 types of lures,crankbaits,spoons etc. that we don't use anymore.

Yet, we keep going to the "candy store" to but MORE !!

I don't know about you guys, but I keep looking for the two guys
running up to me with the white coat with lots of tie down straps !! ;D ;D :o :o ::) ::) :-/ :-/

fourbizzle
08-12-2006, 12:48 PM
As far as hardbaits go, its tough to beat this one. A little too expensive for me though.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h223/fourbizzle/DSC00035.jpg

fishguts
08-12-2006, 12:54 PM
This is a really funny topic. I was sitting on the floor two nights ago organizing my koke and trout tackle boxes for my next trip. As I was going through them I realized at just how many of the different types of stuff I have that have not been used. I even have stuff that hasn't been opened yet.
My wife just sat there a shook her head at me and giggled as I pointed out this revelation. *Figuring this out, I just saved myself some money towards fuel for the next several trips.

Yeah, I've been caught. [smiley=angling.gif]

Empire
08-12-2006, 04:49 PM
As far as hardbaits go, its tough to beat this one. A little too expensive for me though.

Nice looking bait. What is it?

fourbizzle
08-12-2006, 05:27 PM
About 100 dollars ;)

fishguts
08-13-2006, 01:06 AM
*Are you saying that they lie on there packaging? Now I've got to go and self medicate myself... again.

Its the voices, the voices in my head that tell me to buy it.
The voices are good, they are good I tell ya.

BITE_ME_II
08-13-2006, 08:50 AM
I must say , I have nothing in my boxes that I haven't caught a fish on.

And Oh! by the way I have a bridge for sale if anyone is in the market.

And I have never met a woman that I couldn't satisfy.

And Doc is not Snarfy at anytime, even when he's breaking down riggers.

BITE ME II
8-) 8-)

johnbfishin
08-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Who wants to go fishing with someone and show up carrying a single box containing 15 or 20 lures? If you show up with bags full of boxes containing hundreds of lures it at least looks as if you know what you are doing. We all have our favorite lures, the rest are for "just in case" ;) ;D

Crazy_Angler
08-13-2006, 06:09 PM

Nice looking bait. What is it?

Yeah, do you know what that swimbait is called, just curious.

ric1ric
08-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Fishguts your never going to beleive this, but I to hear those voices. [smiley=cool.gif]What are the odds of that. [smiley=seestars.gif] Hey do those voices tell you to......, oh lets not go there. [smiley=yikes.gif]

fishguts
08-13-2006, 10:02 PM
Yes, the voices are good and they tell me so.....

Chief_Sniffer
08-14-2006, 06:09 AM
Umm.. aren't you supposed to celebrate the upcoming fishing trip with jaunt down to Fisherman's Warehouse/Hi's Tackle Box/Fisherman's Friend/Mel Cotton's etc. for the ritual passing of the $50 bill in exchange for shiny trinkets?

Guess I didn't get thet memo...

Mickey_Thomas
08-14-2006, 06:20 AM
Umm.. aren't you supposed to celebrate the upcoming fishing trip with jaunt down to Fisherman's Warehouse/Hi's Tackle Box/Fisherman's Friend/Mel Cotton's etc. for the ritual passing of the $50 bill in exchange for shiny trinkets?

Guess I didn't get thet memo... ;D ;DWell I know I do that, but if I get out for 50 bucks it's a miracle ::)

metalmouth
08-14-2006, 06:47 AM
It reminds me of that classic movie with Kevin Fishner, Lake of Dreams. I forget the famous line from that movie but it went something like this, " Put a treble hook on it and hang it on the wall in a shiny package and they will come." 8-) ;D 8-)

fishguts
08-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Wow, I didn't know you could spend less than $50.00 a visit to the tackle store.

What was that? Are your sure I need that one? And that one... And that one over there? But I don't fish for that. What was that, I have a spot in the box for it?

BITE_ME_II
08-14-2006, 12:41 PM
You haven't seen my garage, and I haven't bought anything in nearly a year, if I had the shelves it would look like a little country stores tackle dept, but then again Mickeys would look like a Cabelas [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

BITE ME II
8-) 8-)

ric1ric
08-14-2006, 01:50 PM
I got it all figured , just buy lots of ten , some day you'll have your own store at dicount prices . :o
nevadatrout I think you got the secret down. Man if I had bought ten of everything I could have gone into bussiness by now. It doesn't get much better than that. Some of the rubber and plastic probally would not have made it unless I could sell it as an all new glob bait. ;D I better start investing in my future right away. Now all I got to do is convice the wife, naw it can be a surprize. ;)

iron-man
08-15-2006, 05:54 PM
I think you guys will find this interesting. I took a friend fishing a while back. He puts two tackle boxes and a large ice chest in the boat with me and another guy. He then borrows my stuff and never opens either one of his treasure(chests) boxes. Going to F W is like going to the variety store when you were a kid, You look and look and drool and drool and then you make your decision, I'll take some of those , those and those and in different sizes and colors of course.It's kinda like having a great meal at hunting camp, you wonder what the poor folk are doing. iron-man

SuperDave
08-16-2006, 10:24 AM
I'll confess to having 2 T.V. advertised systems that have never caught a fish. :( But, I used a lure this past weekend that hadn't caught a fish any of the times I had put it in the water until this weekend. It was the hot lure at that lake on that weekend. So, a bit of encouragement, all that extra stuff you have might have its day or even a year. I have a lure that was my "go to" for an entire year and it was ice cold the next year. I guess the lures can be like bad clothes and come back into fashion if you keep them long enough. ;) ;D

Landlubber
08-18-2006, 02:53 PM
This thread has me cracking up. Especially since in the last three weeks I visited Fisherman's warehouse with a $100 gift certificate, and two fishing trips to shop for (one for a week in the mountains and a rockcod trip with 8 family members). Before walking in, I was thinking of which reel and tackle to buy, and how much money I would have left over. In the end I bought enough rockcod equipment for my next 5 trips with the same crew, and enough flies for the Sierra streams for the next 10 years. Never did get a new reel, and still I had to fork over another $20! When I got home and sorted my flies, I discovered that I did the identical trip last year, and still had enough flies for a few more years, prior to the visit to FW. I think the real bugs will devour most of them before they ever hit the water! Also have many packages of irrisitible trout lures that either have never been opened, or only opened because they fit more easily in the tackle box.

Perhaps I need to venture over to FW only with a non-fishing friend, who will vow to keep me away from the fly section, and limit my purchases to a specific agreed list made prior to entering the store. Unfortunately I usually trek over there with the blessing of my wife, and an hour or two magically disappears, along with too much cash from my wallet.

ol_dude
08-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Ahemmm.. (In my best Dr. Phil voice) The important thing Landlubber is you are not in denial… you are accepting it… and dealing with it… you are not alone…. ;D

I laugh and think about if it weren’t for fishermen like you I could never show-up at FW etc. and binge buy - so to speak… It’s kinda’ like a few large folks grazing at a buffet restaurant… it justifies our need in number… no words spoken…no eye contact… just makes it…. well... feel normal…
Heck… sometimes it funner to shop in anticipation of the next fishin’ trip than the trip itself… Did I just say that (looking over shoulder to make sure wife didn’t read)…. *Gotta go… need to pre-tie leaders on about 3 dozen lures that won’t get used tomorrow…

T16mog
08-21-2006, 12:31 PM
hahaha this thread is crackin me up lol cuz i know im guilty of it...i bought the banjo minnow at one time hahaha...long time ago tho ;) :D :D

ive had to limit my trips to FW or my checking account wouldnt be happy haahha oh well...i bet ill spend enough cash when I go to San Diego for school and start surf fishing haha

[smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=angling.gif] [smiley=angling.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=yahoo.gif] [smiley=yahoo.gif]

SalmoClarki
08-21-2006, 03:45 PM
I have to buy new storage bins every time i go to the tackle shop. This is getting ridiculous. I think super dave said it best a while ago. The next best thing to fishing is buying fishing tackle :)

janbfishinfolk
08-22-2006, 07:40 AM
I have to admit I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Of course since the wife took up fishing I've gotten more "pretty" lures than practical ones. My last "Oh Wow" purchase was the No Bull Frog from the 3:16 lure Co. - haven't fished it yet but it looks good in the tackle box. As if it would fit.

I have to know if anyone out there is buying the hard bait - duel jointed Armageddon lure they sell for $250.00. Cause as soon as I win the lottery I'm all over these!

John

Crazy_Angler
08-22-2006, 04:00 PM
I have to know if anyone out there is buying the hard bait - duel jointed Armageddon lure they sell for $250.00. *Cause as soon as I win the lottery I'm all over these!

John

I've seen those, and think the price is outrageous. The Wake Bait looks just as good, and it's only $200! :o

sehoner
08-22-2006, 08:38 PM
after countless hours of searching on the internet and in the sac bee, i am so glad i stumbled onto this support group. "my name is rich, and i buy taclke that ill never use." i remember one year i went to FW and spent about 120 bucks on bass stuff, ya know rubber worms, jigs, bullet weights, those wierd lookin hooks, some floaty lures with big lips on them and some other stuff i cant even remember. and you know what, i dont even really like to fish for bass!

its a good thing my soon to be wife undeerstands my addiction and lets me be. my backpack weighs about 25 pounds and my red bait bag/food bag/drink bag/tackle box weighs about 15 pounds when loaded for bear. imagine the backpack,the bag, a chair, a fishing stick and my pole being humped down the river bank. it sucks when i get skunked.

ive learned that if i take the stuf out of the packaging and throw some dirt on it like its been used, i dont feel like as big of an iriot. :-[

Fat_Freddy
08-22-2006, 11:48 PM
ALL lures catch fisherman.
I've yet to see a fish standing at the cash register to buy one.

BITE_ME_II
08-23-2006, 05:07 AM
As for the $250.00, lure I'm trying, but my credit application is still in process ::)s probably because I just applied for a tank of gas for the boat. 80 gallons , and for that large of an amount, *they needed approval from the home office..

p.s. not only that ,but the Insurance on those things are out of this world

BITE ME II
8-) 8-)

janbfishinfolk
08-24-2006, 06:32 AM
For you guys that think a $250 lure is a bargain I just saw another hardbait for you. Jerry Rago's Trout Tool Bait - $300.00 - for just another $50 you get a bait a full 1 once heavier - with an open mouth - a soft tail and hinged fins! Though it is a half an inch shorter.

I'm still wondering why they put tool in the name - do you have to be one to buy it?

I hear next they are coming out with a trout that trails 3 or 4 smaller trout like a family behind it and another on an umbrella rig with 5 trout across a 3 ft wide section. I think the only thing holding up the release is how to cast it.

ol_dude
08-24-2006, 10:12 AM
*For you guys that think a $250 lure is a bargain I just saw another hardbait for you. *Jerry Rago's Trout Tool Bait - $300.00 - for just another $50 you get a bait a full 1 once heavier - with an open mouth - a soft tail and hinged fins! *Though it is a half an inch shorter.

Ha…. That’s great…. just had to check out the web site…. *I especially like this line….. “Originally, Jerry was only going to share this bait with select pro staff and catch trophy bass himself, but he decided that the elite big bass fishermen that have been supporting him over the years deserved the best bait he has ever produced.
How touching and down right considerate of him…..
Kinda’ reminds me of the “get rich quick” Real Estate courses you can buy on TV…. If it is so easy – why share it with the rest of us sod’s…. just make all the money for yourself…
But hey.... good for him... if I had 3 bills burnin' a hole in my pocket... I'd prolly order it... ;D

fish_food
08-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Ha…. That’s great…. just had to check out the web site…. I especially like this line….. “Originally, Jerry was only going to share this bait with select pro staff and catch trophy bass himself, but he decided that the elite big bass fishermen that have been supporting him over the years deserved the best bait he has ever produced.
Kinda’ reminds me of the “get rich quick” Real Estate courses you can buy on TV…. If it is so easy – why share it with the rest of us sod’s…. just make all the money for yourself…
But hey.... good for him... if I had 3 bills burnin' a hole in my pocket... I'd prolly order it... ;D

Hi, ol dude...

Yea, that ad copy you quoted really does sound stuffy but Jerry Rago is actually quite respected in that small world of specialty/trophy bass lure makers. Just peruse some of the trophy bass forums to see the double digit results some of these high dollar plugs yield. That trophy hunting crowd is a small subgroup of bassers who are pretty hardcore about persuing big fish and they think nothing of spending up to $100+ for these smaller production specialty lures. They really do catch 'um!

I'm in no way justifying a $300 sticker but that lure is aimed at a small crowd who really will pay that much. And those guys do catch the fish...

Check out sniffer member super-mat's catches--he mainly posts in the bass fishing board here. That guy is one of those hardcore trout plug/swimbait throwers and has the catches to back it up: super-mat gallery (http://www.calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/supermat/album18/)

fourbizzle
08-24-2006, 04:47 PM
For you guys that think a $250 lure is a bargain I just saw another hardbait for you. Jerry Rago's Trout Tool Bait - $300.00 - for just another $50 you get a bait a full 1 once heavier - with an open mouth - a soft tail and hinged fins! Though it is a half an inch shorter.

I'm still wondering why they put tool in the name - do you have to be one to buy it?

I hear next they are coming out with a trout that trails 3 or 4 smaller trout like a family behind it and another on an umbrella rig with 5 trout across a 3 ft wide section. I think the only thing holding up the release is how to cast it.

The TOOL is 13" despite what TW says. If you ever saw one, you would understand why they cost so much. Jerry Rago is one of the most gifted lure builders that has ever lived. He's built 5 times as many great baits as he has for sale. He is more of a fisherman than anyone on this board far and away. Giant freshwater stripers to 53 lbs, at least 50 Brown Trout over 10 pounds, and HUNDREDS of double digit bass. Yeah his hard baits are expensive. But he builds them BY HAND IN HIS GARAGE and they are beautiful and fish amazingly well. He isn't a rich man, he just makes amazing baits. Sure he could rip someone else off and mass produce a knock off bait like Bill Siemantel and SPRO, but he is more concerned with making something new. When you spend 1,000's of hours R&Ding a huge, ultra realistic, single purpose bait, its gonna cost a few bucks when the hand made baits hit the shelves.

Can I afford a 13" TOOL? Not right now. But are they worth the money? Sure. Give the garage bait builders a break. All the mass produced crap is based off of their designs.

fourbizzle
08-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Ha…. That’s great…. just had to check out the web site…. I especially like this line….. “Originally, Jerry was only going to share this bait with select pro staff and catch trophy bass himself, but he decided that the elite big bass fishermen that have been supporting him over the years deserved the best bait he has ever produced.

Hi, ol dude...

Yea, that ad copy you quoted really does sound stuffy but Jerry Rago is actually quite respected in that small world of specialty/trophy bass lure makers. Just peruse some of the trophy bass forums to see the double digit results some of these high dollar plugs yield. That trophy hunting crowd is a small subgroup of bassers who are pretty hardcore about persuing big fish and they think nothing of spending up to $100+ for these smaller production specialty lures. They really do catch 'um!

I'm in no way justifying a $300 sticker but that lure is aimed at a small crowd who really will pay that much. And those guys do catch the fish...

Check out sniffer member super-mat's catches--he mainly posts in the bass fishing board here. That guy is one of those hardcore trout plug/swimbait throwers and has the catches to back it up: super-mat gallery (http://www.calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/supermat/album18/)

I was to PO'd to make it to your reply! Amen brother. Heres my Baby TOOL that was worth every one of my dollar bills that jerry is "lining his pockets" with.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h223/fourbizzle/?action=view&current=MOV00034.flv

ol_dude
08-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Deepest apologies to Jerry and/or anyone else that might have been offended by my post… It wasn’t my intent to single him out, take a shot at him or his lure… I simply have fun with the marketing angle(s) that companies big or small use to lure us in so to speak… Like I said… if I had the bones I would probably order one…

fourbizzle
08-24-2006, 05:53 PM
I wasnt offended, I just have a ton of respect for the guy and what he does. Not a whole lot of people get shocked when they see a 300 dollar sculpture at an art gallery, but that is what his baits really are, art. But on a side note, Stanley Lures will have jerry rago design some of their soft baits. I believe that he will continue to make the hard baits in his garage though. So any of you guys want a Rago bait with a blue collar price tag keep an eye out on stanley lures! I was actually thinking about how I was gonna afford his newest hard bait when I checked this thread!