PDA

View Full Version : Plaskett and Lobdell Lake Info Please.

climb_n_fish
08-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Can anyone here give me information on Plaskett Lakes in the Mendocino Nat'l Forest. It's off Forest Road 7, northwest of Willows.

The other lake is Lobdell Lake in the Sweetwater Range north of Bridgeport. Some searching has shown that the CA state record Artic Grayling is from this lake but apparently isn't in the lake anymore. Anyone know anything?

As my name suggests, I'm going to do some peak bagging, and if there is fishing, that too!

Thanks in advance.

jetfishn
08-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi, I can tell you about Lobdell lake, they have emptied most of the lake, its got a very shallow portion left, not good for much of anything, this was done a few yrs ago. I have been there and checked it out. Used to be a beautiful lake, I enjoyed going there yrs ago. Probably something to do with gov. cutbacks in funds. Just guessing. Same general area on other side of 395 is Emma Lake, I would call this one a peak lake, been there, beautiful little colorful Brookies we caught there, its about a 1 hr hike pretty much straight up from a parking area on some backroads.

HOG-ON
08-11-2006, 09:57 PM
I FISHED UPPER PLASKETT ALLOT IN THE MID 80'S AND WE USED TO US 6 LB LINE WITH A CASTING BUBBLE (CLEAR SLIDING BOBBER) WITH A # 4 HOOK (BOBBER STOP 4FT UP) FOR BAIT WE WOULD REACH DOWN IN THE HYDRILA GRASS IN THE LAKE(UNDER WATER)(DANGER BROKEN GLASS) AND SLOWLEY PULL IT UP AND ONTO SHORE AND THERE WOULD BE WATER BUGS LIVEING IN IT AND WE WOULD HOOK THESE BUGS ON OUR HOOKS CAST OUT INTO THE MIDDLE AND LET THE BUGS SWIM AROUND AND BAM ! THE TROUT WOULD SLAM THE BUGS. EARLY AM OR LATE PM BEST. THE BUGS KIND OF LOOK SIMILER TO WATER HOPPERS. OR YOU CAN JUST FLOAT CRAWLERS BUT I TELL YOU, THE BUGS USED TO SLAM THE TROUT. PM ME AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU DID WHEN YOU GET BACK.

*[smiley=angling.gif] [smiley=angling.gif] [smiley=angling.gif] [smiley=angling.gif] [smiley=angling.gif] GOOD LUCK

HOG-ON

PS NEVER CAUGHT JACK IN LOWER PLASKETT * *

climb_n_fish
08-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Thanks propfisn for the info on Lobdell and HOG-On for the Plaskett response. Got back last night from Plaskett. The campground had just been opened for 2 days due to it being used by firefighters for a fire nearby. The upper lake is also being used to suck water out of for road maintenance.

Before dinner I caught about a dozen of the ones in the picture out of both the upper and lower lakes. I can't seem to match it to anything in my book. Anyone have an idea what it is? After dinner I caught a few more and one nice, about 12 inch rainbow, on the same fly as in the fishes mouth. It was caught by the dam. I wasn't able to fish the morning as I left around midnight as the noise from the constant stream in and out of the water trucks that started at 10 p.m.was too much to allow for sleep.

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/8345/1002269bp7.jpg

climb_n_fish
08-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks THE SQUID. I read that other thread, that's why asked here. This is a little more rounded than the hitch and has an orangish anal fin. It also came from a trout pond / lake rather than warm water. Maybe I'll use the UC Davis link and ask.

I got that fly reel 30 years ago. Since I just dabblewith fly fishing, it has served me well and I have had no need to get another.

Sounds like I'll need to talk to my climbing partner about our plans. He wants to swim besides the climb, I want to fish. We were going to hike up Patterson Peak nearby.