PDA

View Full Version : Tugboats on Carquinez Straight

pinfish
07-19-2006, 10:28 PM
today i was at point dillon and two ocean going cargo ships were heading towards each other. but they don't make as much wake as the 4 tugboats that accompanied them, including one rushing up to meet the incoming ship where it does a 180 to meet it.

this results in 20 minutes of volumous surges that swamp 10 feet inland. not rolling surfer's waves but big rolling hills of waves. however i was prepared having moved my gear up to higher ground and balancing on a stone. at one point i sorta lost my balance and stepped down into the water. if i lost complete balance i woulda met rock and water.

but give me a break, wtf! that is like a tsunami. a careless fisherman woulda been swamped or taken out. or kids playing in the water further down the park.

also while on a boat, these tugboats' wake were so huge. last weekend we were almost 45 degrees rolling sideways like the Posiedon.

is there a rule against these guys making such big waves? who do i call? 20 minutes of waves. first the water is pushed by the boats. then the tugboats' huge wake, then the wake reflecting off the other side of the straight coming back.

dimpala95
07-20-2006, 08:04 AM
I believe since the Straights are a major navigable commercial waterway, you're SOL. All boats/ships that head up into the delta for commerce have to go through the Straights.

It's like you said, if you're not observant, you may take a bath. There is nothing to be done that I know of.