PDA

View Full Version : PRESS RELEASE-BASS PRO SHOPS

PianoFish
11-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Bass Pro Shops Opens in Manteca They will break ground spring 2006 and open their 700,000 sq. ft. store in 2007, according to the Tracy Press today.
PianoFish

catfished
11-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Sounds like bad news for Fisherman's Warehouse.

fish4fun
11-09-2005, 05:46 PM
That's great news! Now if we could just get Cabelas to open up a mega-store around here!!! ;D.. Larry

Chapa
11-11-2005, 02:00 AM
thats still alittle far for us Sacramento boys

viper2
11-11-2005, 10:59 AM
The new Cabella's will be in Verdi, Nevada at Boomtown.

sigmapirockstar
11-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Cool...another overpriced fishing store! Just what I need.

BigB
11-22-2005, 09:04 PM
The Cabela'a at Boomtown is not scheduled to open until 2007. Boomtown has to move their truck stop first and that has not started yet.

Brian

Mickey_Thomas
11-23-2005, 07:06 AM
What if we get 5000 sniffer members out there with shovels? ;D ;D ;D ;D

ll_kaidoy_ll
11-23-2005, 10:54 AM
Sounds like bad news for Fisherman's Warehouse.

Acutally, it shouldn't affect them too bad. *Sure, Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas are great, but I have found the prices at Fisherman's Warehouse seem to be slightly cheaper. Plus, Bass Pro and Cabelas do not sell the equipment I need at times.

TS5655
11-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Sportsman's Warehouse is coming to Rocklin/Roseville area at the corner of Hwy 65 and Blue Oaks in 2007. You can go to Thunder Valley and win a bunch of money and then go spend it at Sportsman's Warehouse!

TS

AllFishNoWork
11-24-2005, 08:18 PM
You can go to Thunder Valley and win a bunch of money and then go spend it at Sportsman's Warehouse

Been there, done that. Except it was at the old Wal*Mart.

huntman58
12-11-2005, 05:45 AM
Ya Fresno tried to get the bass pro shop but lost out to Manteca. This is the first I heard of Cabalas coming any wear close. also sportsmanís wear house dang loved that store back in Idaho Wahoo may be they will get some kind of good sporting store down here in my area .most likely after I move out of state thatís how my luck go's LOL

drstressor
12-11-2005, 09:08 AM
While I think that it's great that the big sports boxes are moving to the far west, there is still going to be room for businesses like Fisherman's Warehouse and smaller specialty stores. Sportsman's has been in Reno for a year now and 90% of the fishing tackle that they stock is still inappropriate for local fishing. The big outfits have agreements with certain suppliers and get their stock though centralized national inventories.

To give an example, I helped a friends wife buy a light trout and kokanee outfit for a Christmas present. It may be hard to believe, but SW did not have a single light action downrigger/trolling outfit in stock. They had tons of bass flippin rods and fast taper casting outfits that would be great for bass. Other than fly fishing stuff, most of their inventory is geared toward bass, walleye, catfish, and panfish. They also stock a lot of salt water gear. Not a whole lot of that type of fishing in northern Nevada you know. They have only small panel of "Pyramid Lake Special" stuff from a local vendor and some kokanee lures. When I asked them about stocking regional tackle, they said that their customers fish all over the world. ??? Yeah, right. But considering that maybe 90% of the people I see fishing locally (not sniffers of course) are using inappropriate gear, maybe it is all about marketing after all.

My point is that there will always be room for smaller businesses that source the appropriate tackle and provide value added fishing advice. My favorite local place is Mountain Hardware in Truckee. What impresses me most about that shop is that if you look at their rather limited inventory, you only see the lures and patterns that work well locally.

Set_The_Hook
12-11-2005, 11:59 AM
About Sportsman's Warehouse,
I agree with Doc. SW does not stock much in the way of "local" fishing supplies. Funny thing about that chain though. I first stopped at the SW in Twin Falls, ID and they had oooodles of salmon/trout gear. I was so excited when they first opened here but could find very little for salmon or trout.:( I wonder if the fishing manager or buyer is at all in tune with what we want here. I might write a letter to SW corporate to see what their response is to stocking region targeted fishing supplies. After having a chat with the folks at SW here first.
Bill

fish4fun
12-11-2005, 12:11 PM
I like Mountain Hardware in Truckee a lot also. We don't get up there that often(live in Santa Rosa), but we stop there when we get a chance. First time we went there was for a kokanee derby on Stampede about 3 yrs ago. Bought some of their "local" tackle and used it in the Derby. Connie and I both placed fairly high in the Derby and we won enough to pay for our gas and camping. Only trouble was that Connie placed higher than I did. ;) See it pays to shop at these nicely stocked, local tackle stores ;D.. Larry

Rusty_Hooks
12-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Sounds like you may have to hide to better lures from Connie, Larry ;D ;D ;)

Sniffers could make a difference if shops were identified, like the note about Mountain Hardware....

Steve?...... ;)

wetdog
12-11-2005, 07:02 PM
What if we get 5000 sniffer members out there with shovels? ;D ;D ;D ;D
we should't have to buy worms fer a while ;) ;D 8)

Farrier_Frank
12-11-2005, 07:23 PM
;D LOL on that one Wetdog.

fish4fun
12-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Rusty, It doesn't do much good to hide the lures from her. No matter what I do she'll probably come up with the biggest fish. ;D ;D.. Larry

huntman58
12-12-2005, 01:24 PM
What I like about the big boxes is getting the basics and then I also agree the small mom and pop shops are when I get the local things. I believe we need both as I need to save money were I can as I live on ssdi and every penny counts and for me to get every thing at the small shops kills the fishing budget almost as bad as Christmas dose . Dang I want to get out and wet a line just can not afford it tell the end of the month

TS5655
12-12-2005, 07:48 PM
I saw a perfect example of customer service on Friday at the Fisherman's Warehouse that you probably won't see from the big box stores.

Frank was talking to a couple and the woman was telling him that she was having problems learning to cast her baitcaster. She thought there may be something wrong with it. Frank talked technique with her for awhile and then offered to have her bring her gear in and he would tune up the reel, make sure it was working correctly, and then take her out in the parking lot and teach her how to cast.

Great job Frank!

Terry

Mad_Russian
12-13-2005, 05:23 PM
I drove thru Verdi Sunday night, on my way home from Eastern Nevada( freaking cold there) and saw no sign of upcoming Cabela's store ::)

drstressor
12-13-2005, 06:35 PM
They have to move the truck stop before construction will begin.