PDA

View Full Version : Bakersfield, Kern River/County

randyfishing
11-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Any decent fishing in this area ??? Going down over the Thanksgiving holiday and am wondering if there is anywhere to fish for sanity's sake.

Any response is appreciated, thanks :)

Mr.Pescador
11-18-2005, 06:02 PM
I fished down there once,many years ago.Went to Lake Isabel.Suposed to be good bass fishing.We didn't catch anything though.A guy at the camp ground told us they were getting some trout in the Kern River above the lake. So off we went trying to save the trip.I was throwing kastmasters and spinners with no luck when I got snagged on something.I got it loose and pulled in a big wad of old line with a lure attached.It was yellow with red dots.It looked good but the hook was rusted.I had all ready thrown everything I had at 'em without a bite ,so I took a hook off another lure and put it on the yellow one.First cast,first bite. A 3 lb. trout! About 5 min. later ,another bite. This ones big,real big.I get it near the bank but we don't have a net.My buddy sees how big it is and jumps right in to shove it up on the rocks!What a guy! Weighed in at the bait shop at 7 1/2 pounds.Still my biggest trout to date. About three casts later I snagged up and lost the lure.I don't know what it was called,but it sure was lucky.A damn fine lure.I'll never forget it!

mtalley
11-19-2005, 09:48 AM
The Fresno Bee says the fishing at Isabell is OK with catfish being the best bet. www.fresnobee.com/sports/outdoors/fishing
Good Luck

Snowtrout
11-21-2005, 09:02 AM
My old stomping grounds before i moved to fresno.

What do you want to fish for??

Isabella can be good for trout or bass but you really need a boat to do it right.

Kern river above isabella is good for planter trout with some large ones mixed in.

Kern river below isabella is good for planters, largemouth bass and smallmouths. The areas behind hart park and gordons ferry are great for smallies and some big largemouths.

Hart park lake is ok for small planter trout.

But for the best trout bite, head out to buena vista lakes. They plant some large ones in there and you can fish from shore.

My choice would be: lazy-buena vista, feel like exploring-upper kern river.

I'll be down there too to visit with the family but am leaving sat to fish huntington sunday.

randyfishing
11-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Well thanks folks, I was starting to wonder. That is a good enough start. I did read that the Golden trout did originate in the Kern river. Now I have to locate lake isabella.

Snowtrout
11-21-2005, 11:16 AM
To catch goldens right now would be illegal because the fishing season for those areas closed already. Plus it would be one heck of a walk in to even have a chance.

Isabella is right off hwy 178, about 45 min from bakersfield.

randyfishing
11-21-2005, 01:39 PM
I heard it it nice country up there, my girlfirend grew up in that area. *

Thanks again, found the homepage and got a couple of maps. Perfect solution for an otherwise tedious visit to lovely Bakersfield. ;D ;)