PDA

View Full Version : Let's Get A Warden To Join!!!

Salmon1
11-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Hi Guys and Gals....After reading thread after thread concerning the confusion(and FRUSTRATION) many of us suffer regarding the difficulty of discerning the extremely complicated regulations we all must abide by,I think it would be a fantastic idea to recruit a DFG Warden to moderate a board specifically to address regulation clarification. I also belong to another board that has done this and it is a great resource to keep us out of trouble.

Does anyone have any contacts at DFG who might be able to help with setting something like this up??

We seem to spend an awful lot of time and energy discussing(arguing)our own views and interpretations of the regulations,many times without actually consulting the publication itself, and it seems to me we would all be better served if we had a viable alternative.

Little Help????!!!!

catfished
11-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi Salmon1,

I think it's a great idea. I hope someone can find a warden that is willing to participate, possibly the same one you mentioned from another forum, ANN I assume.

Unfortunately, even with a warden answering our questions, answers will vary between different wardens. In some cases, one warden will interpret the regs a little different than another warden will. I guess the CA regs are too complicated even for the wardens. ???

Salmon1
11-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the positive response Catfished, I agree that each individual Warden will have a slightly different take on a given situation, but their input would still be much more appropriate than one from us laymen. As far as the other board is concerned,it is more slanted toward ocean fishing and the warden they have as a member is based on the salt, so I am not sure he would be the right candidate. I will email him and see if maybe he can make a reccomendation for a local area Warden that might be interested in helping us out.

Greg

deltalover
11-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Thats a excelent idea! I met a D.F.G. warden, by the name of Art, a really nice guy! I talked with him for a bit and he gave a really cool map of striper area's in the delta and his phone number ;D. This was a couple of years ago, but I will give him a call and invite him to join!

Slim
11-04-2005, 05:37 PM
A few times when I was confused about the regs and or had a question I E-Mailed Fish and Game directly. They responded and cleared up all my questions. Just a thought!

It would be cool to have someone on this board we could chat with. !! :)

Slim

Erreck
11-04-2005, 07:00 PM
I'm actually surprised that there aren't any wardens already on here. As popular a site as this is, you'd think that atlease one or two would be on here :-/.

Then again, people come here to think and talk about something other than work (among other reasons). I know I don't get off work and go find a forum devoted to work related issues.

All that being said, I think it would be a good thing. 8)

panfish_popper
11-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Who knows, maybe theres already a warden and we dont even know it or I'm sure theres a couple lurkers....

catfished
11-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Who knows, maybe theres already a warden and we dont even know it or I'm sure theres a couple lurkers....

You're probably right PP, I know the local Lake County wardens are lurkers on both my forums, they've admitted to it. ;D

Blue_R70
11-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Might be faster if folks just pose their questions to Warden McGiver's forum. Carrie Wilson (also from DFG), who does an informative Q&A column about fish and game regs in that "other" outdoor rag, has an email address to pose questions as well.

So which one of you's is gonna do the leg work to sweet talk another warden into spending off-the-clock time behind a computer looking up regulations?

Double_D
11-06-2005, 04:29 AM
It would be nice to have a DFG warden, I have a question to ask him, I already know the answer, but I would like it posted here for one lurker in particular to read. ;)

Bob_Aloo
11-06-2005, 07:21 AM
Why would any Warden that might get a full share of animosity and hatred daily from those governed,

take any of their free time to argue here the finer points of rulebook readers cognitive failures?

And on another note,

I've seen one warden say one thing and another say something entirely different on a number of occasions,

(take for instance that treble hooks are still widely used at the confluence of the Sacramento and American Rivers, while at public forums they say they are illegal)

and you start to get a grasp of how painful it is to do your best to help the public only to find out you maybe didn't have it right to begin with.

Now you got some guy with 20 pages of internet forum printouts trying to fight some ticket in court, dragging his (the all good intentioned warden's) ass through the ringer.

http://www.theoldhag.com/img/The%20Man/game%20warden.jpg

vito
11-06-2005, 11:03 AM
I contacted a warden at the Headquarters last year about the Delta Enhancement Stamp. His name was Rick and he was one of the people who edit and publish the regs. He told me that the regs are so confusing, and ambiguous, that he became frustrated and quit fishing. He told me that If a warden got cited for a fishing infraction, they can get major heat at work, so he just gave up! Even the wardens cannot decipher this stuff!

catfished
11-06-2005, 11:49 AM
I contacted a warden at the Headquarters last year about the Delta Enhancement Stamp. His name was Rick and he was one of the people who edit and publish the regs. He told me that the regs are so confusing, and ambiguous, that he became frustrated and quit fishing. He told me that If a warden got cited for a fishing infraction, they can get major heat at work, so he just gave up! Even the wardens cannot decipher this stuff!

True and a very sad commentary for our DFG. :-[

Salmon1
11-07-2005, 10:07 AM
I have contacted a gentleman who is a retired DFG patrol Captain and I am waiting on his response regarding whether he would be interested. I appreciate all of the positive feedback,which most of it is,and I will let everyone know how he responds as soon as I can.

Erreck
11-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Why would any Warden that might get a full share of animosity and hatred daily from those governed,

take any of their free time to argue here the finer points of rulebook readers cognitive failures?

Exactly the point I was trying to make earlier :-/.

Farrier_Frank
11-07-2005, 08:38 PM
The possibility of a warden offering an opinion and being harassed is a possibility on the boards, but it would be short lived. With the moderators we have watching over the boards I feel confident any abusive chatter would be silenced quickly. Look around the boards and you will always find threads questioning a legal interpretation. Maybe we should encourage someone in the know, like a warden or two or three, to chime in and help make matters clear.

Diego916
11-08-2005, 04:36 PM
I know...

...let's all just BECOME Wardens! Then we, too, can have major fun trying not only to interpret the regs BUT enforce them!

Yipee!!!

::)

FishMischief
11-08-2005, 09:35 PM
I can contact Brad Willis. Maybe he can find us some willing warden that would provide input. We could really even get a few so its not all on one person. I think the warden should not be the moderator but just a major contributor that way it doesn't take as much of their time.

I'd step up to moderate it if needed. Seems like I'm on this board 50 times a day as it is.

ITUKAWAL
11-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Arrrggghhhhh !!!!!!!!!!

Just don't try to get creative and bend the regs. Always fish from behind a tree and be ready to cut your line when you are in a boat. Just kiddin' guys. I'll give up breathin' before I give up fishin'

IT

Salmon1
11-11-2005, 10:58 AM
I can contact Brad Willis. Maybe he can find us some willing warden that would provide input. We could really even get a few so its not all on one person. I think the warden should not be the moderator but just a major contributor that way it doesn't take as much of their time.

FishCrazed,
If you can, contact the fellow you mentioned here. I have gotten a reply from the retired Warden I was soliciting, and he has declined to be involved. I really think this would be a nice addition to our site and I would appreciate your efforts to help.

Greg

Slammon
11-14-2005, 03:01 PM
I personally believe the regs are easy to understand and written to where most law bidding people will follow the law. It is the people that want to break or take the law into their own hands, get caught and then say they didn't understand. It is kind of like the California stop on a right hand turn. We all know the law, but it is interpeted differently. Stop on don't break the law. As did a father and his three sons fishing on Sunday at Paradise riffle. They were fishing on the west side and everyone on the east side saw them keep two tail hooked fish. Most guys yelled at the three, but they said they hooked them and were keeping them. Great fishermen. That is why the leader length is being reduced.

FishMischief
11-15-2005, 10:35 PM
I did but have not gotten a reply. I'll try again.

LadyBass
11-17-2005, 02:11 PM
I have a life long friend of our family who is a DFG Warden, I'll see if he's ever online and shoot him over here if he is ;D

LB

Trout_Shark
11-17-2005, 03:41 PM
I work for the Dept of Recources, in the HQ building...maybe i can get someone from down there to become a moderator. if someone could post a duty statement, so their responsibilities are CLEAR(we are state workers, you know) I could ask some of the guys...I know a few who fish, but I see about 20 wardens a day. I hope thats not too much to ask...thanks...TS