PDA

View Full Version : Coho in Oroville

rodrascal
11-09-2005, 02:19 AM
Overheard a conversation yesterday at a bait shop that 70,000 plus fingerling coho salmon had been recently planted in Oroville. Can anyone confirm that report? If it's true, guess it'll be a year or so before they reach a catchable size.

Jaybahs
11-09-2005, 09:38 AM
rodrascal, not sure on the plant but if you call Mcgraths bait an tackle, have good info on the cohos. lake record fell this year though not sure of size but picture of it is in mcgraths nice fish. so there are a few bigguns roaming around still,have to work yourbutt for them though, proven method is white or chart. uncle larrys with a white grub threaded on, with or without a dodger is good.id try the dam area, along buoy line, and under the bridge all places ive hooked up. I personally havnt hooked 1 this year though, but friend of mine who fishs lake often has caught a couple up 2 6#s. The browns arebiting though and they are some monstas in their ill get pictures from my friend post them soon. have good 1and hope to get spooled son jaybahs

Garry
11-10-2005, 03:05 PM
the coho plant is true. but i think its closet to 40k and they are 8-9 inch size instead of fingerlings. fishing should be good for them next year. lets hope the dfg and dwr can keep this going for a long time - i really enjoyed the coho bite up there.

this was reported by california sportsmen radio host sep hendrickson about a month ago (thats where i heard it).

garry

Troutdraggin
11-10-2005, 06:58 PM
I'd heard that too. Can't wait! I just hope they aren't fished out before they can grow a little. Last year at this time we caught the heck out of 3+lb. fish. It was a total blast! I grew up there and often think about the good trout fishing in the late 60's and early 70s. Nice trout and coho fishing back then. Last year was really fun and brought back memories..

fish4fun
11-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Great news! The coho fishing at Oroville was one of our favorites. Good fighting fish and great eating. A tough combo to beat.. Larry

Erreck
11-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Great news for Oroville! I was hoping they would figure something out, and I'm glad they finally did!

I had also heard rumor of Kings being planted in the future if the Coho become to hard to get ahold of.

Eigther way, I'm just glad such a great lake isn't going to go to waste as a bass/catfish only lake. It's too big to not have anything else in there.

Dale_B.
11-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Glad to hear that! Look's like I am going have to go up to the lake and do some salmon fishing. Good fishing, Dale B.

Empty_Net
11-12-2005, 11:41 AM
From the Chico Enterprise Record, article by Steve Carson

Fil Torres from Oroville Outdoors reports, "We understand that some 7"-9" coho salmon will be planted in several spots around the lake next week."

great news, glad to hear that they are stocking in different locations from the start instead of just the spillway and dam area.

CaptBrandon
11-13-2005, 05:24 PM
What i wana know is why can't they stock catchable coho's in the rivers, they plant kings why not coho's?

drstressor
11-13-2005, 07:41 PM
They do stock Coho in rivers. But only in the rivers where there were natural runs. These are mostly coastal streams. This is part of the effort to recover the species. You can't take any Coho in California except from Oroville. The Oroville fishery is just a put and take thing and has nothing to do with recovering the native runs.

AllFishNoWork
11-14-2005, 06:34 AM
Good News!

A nice Oroville Coho caught the summer of 2004 from the floating campground

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3121/willcoho4qu.jpg (http://imageshack.us)