PDA

View Full Version : carp whats wrong ...

newfisherman
11-08-2005, 08:02 PM
I am a new fisherman and I am wondering why people don't like carp... is it safe to eat? and if it is why do people don't like it. Please help!!! ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Christopherjake
11-08-2005, 09:09 PM
I don't know about anyone else but I dont' fish for carps because they don't take lures and I find them extremely diffucult to catch.

There are some big ones out there and I'm sure the fight would be awesome.

Christopherjake
11-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Another reason why I don't fish for carps is because they are too boney and aren't very good to eat, but that's just one guy's opinion. :P

catfished
11-08-2005, 10:38 PM
I am a new fisherman and I am wondering why people don't like carp... is it safe to eat? and if it is why do people don't like it. *Please help!!! ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Hi newfisherman,

There are a few people that fish for carp in Northern California. They are a great sportfish and as christopherjake said, they are extremely difficult to catch which makes for more of a challenge. We have a little carp fishing club that has monthly catch & release carp derbies. You can go to our site by clicking on the NorCalCarpClub link at the bottom of my signature. We're having a derby at Clear Lake at M & M Campground in Clearlake Oaks this coming Saturday Nov. 12th starting at 8:00 am in case you're interested. Click on the link or PM me for more info.

MB_Kevin
11-08-2005, 11:40 PM
carp fishing is fun. I like it. I never have eaten one but have heard they can be good. that is the reason they where brought to the US because they like them. They are bony but I guess if you cook them right it is OK. My dad told me when he was a kid his dad would cook them up every now and then. He said one day he will cook one up for us to try.
Hopefully it is better then some of the other Nebraska recipes he cooks. :P ::)
I think I seen it in the dictionary and it said something like a good tasting fish. :-/

Fishmeister
11-09-2005, 07:31 AM
When I was a kid growing up in Montana I used to fly fish for them. What a kick. During the time that the cottonwoods wood be in seed and all the cotton was blowing around it would pool up in big clumps in the eddies of the river. The carp would slurp them up like pigs being slopped. I'd take cotton balls and tie them to a hook and cast to rising carp. Catching 10 to 12 lb carp on a 7 weight rod was a hoot. Never ate them. At that time it was expected that any carp caught would be killed

vito
11-09-2005, 07:32 AM
Carp get very large and are indeed fun to catch. I catch them at Folsom lake - usually while catfishing - and the smallest I've caught was over 5 lbs. I don't consider them hard to catch though, most of the time they become a nuisance because they won't stay off your bait. If you use any kind of catfish bait, in warm water - you will usually hook them quite regularly. They are bottom feeders and tend to be quite nasty to eat. I've tried it 2 times and both time couldn't get it down. I've had carp soup though, and that was pretty good.

Chapa
11-11-2005, 12:23 AM
I was out at Colusa fishing for Stripers and was using pile worms didnt catch a striper but i landed a 20 lb Carp :-/

that thing faught like crazy too ;D

catfished
11-11-2005, 07:13 AM
I was out at Colusa fishing for Stripers and was using pile worms didnt catch a striper but i landed a 20 lb Carp :-/

that thing faught like crazy too ;D

Hi Chapa, where in Colusa did you fish. I have never been able to find a suitable spot to shore fish in Colusa. I assume you were fishing from shore?

MB_Kevin
11-12-2005, 11:35 PM
My dad told me at one time when he was a kid they would set up hooks across the river and catch tuns of carp. At that time in nebraska..he was on a farm he said the carp went for $.10 a pound and that was more then some of the other stuff they raised on the farm. I should pay more attention. I don't remember what he was comparing it to but something they raise was going for like 8 cents a pound and they could get 10 cents for the carp :-/

catfished
11-13-2005, 07:25 AM
We had fun carp fishing yesterday at Clear Lake. Click on the link for all the information and photos: http://www.norcalcarpclub.com/derbyresults11-12.html

fish4fun
11-13-2005, 10:58 AM
catfish, Those are great pics! What are hair bolt rigs? Thanks.. Larry

grizzley
11-13-2005, 11:20 AM
Carp is a fish that is eaten world wide. In the U.S. most of the fish are raised or caught for the Asian markets.
It has an unjust reputation for being a "trash" fish and not being good for table fare.
My father and another man were the first to net carp and black fish from Clear Lake and other lakes in Calif and to develope/open the Asian markets in Calif with live delivery. The two main market centers were San Francisco and Los Angles. We drove large enclosed trucks with live tanks and delivered once, sometimes twice weekly. As it states below, carp can survive in water that would kill other species, lending in part to the myth. If you want to try eating a carp: skin the fish, cut out the blood line along the side before cooking. Carp from cold streams or colder lakes are better as are most fish. Enjoy
-----------------------------------------------------------

Class: Fishes: 4 classes Diet: Crustaceans, insect larvae, mollusks, and some vegetation
Order: Cypriniformes: Carps
Size: 51 cm - 1 m (20 in - 3 1/4 ft)
Family: No Fish family information Conservation Status: Non-threatened
Scientific Name: Cyprinus carpio Habitat: lowland lakes, and rivers
Range: Originally Southern Europe and Black Sea area; introduced in Northern Europe, North and South America, Australia, New Zealand, parts of Asia and Africa

Now an extremely widely distributed fish, the common carp belongs to the large, freshwater family Cyprinidae. Carp are robust, fairly deep-bodied fishes; some are fully scaled, but there are other varieties, such as leather carp, which are scaleless, and mirror carp (illustrated here), which have some exceptionally large scales on the sides and at the base of the dorsal fin. Inhabitants of slow-moving waters with much vegetation, carp tolerate low oxygen levels which would be fatal for many other fishes. They feed mostly on crustaceans, insect larvae, mollusks and some vegetation. Breeding occurs in spring and summer. The eggs are laid in shallow water, where they adhere to aquatic plants until they hatch.

catfished
11-13-2005, 12:51 PM
catfish, *Those are great pics! *What are hair bolt rigs? *Thanks.. Larry
Hi Larry, here's a link to an explanation that includes photos: http://carpanglersgroup.com/hairandboltrig.html

catfished
11-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by grizzley....Carp is a fish that is eaten world wide. In the U.S. most of the fish are raised or caught for the Asian markets

Hey grizzley, are you my neighbor in Nice or another grizzley?

grizzley
11-13-2005, 06:15 PM
That would be me Ed. Came by your place to say hi and :o no Ed! Hope you and the Mrs are doing well.

fish4fun
11-13-2005, 07:03 PM
catfished, Thanks for the info on the bolt rig.. Larry

catfished
11-13-2005, 08:49 PM
That would be me Ed. Came by your place to say hi and :o no Ed! Hope you and the Mrs are doing well.

We're doing fine, thanks. We are in Lucerne now, it's a long story that starts with an old mobile home and an eroding seawall. ::)

catfished
11-13-2005, 08:50 PM
catfished, *Thanks for the info on the bolt rig.. Larry
You're more than welcome. If you ever need more info, feel free to PM or email me.