PDA

View Full Version : negro bar area question

Smeja
11-07-2005, 10:11 PM
out in folsom in the negro bar area crossing over whatever bridge that is off of greenback? or is it riley street. i'm not sure.

Well that is as I understand it ''the american river''. I'm confused as to why I never hear anybody talking about catching stripers/salmon in there. Do they run that way? I've never even heard people talk about catching catfish in there.

I've only heard people talk about catching small trout there and am just curious about the whole thing. ???

fishn4me
11-08-2005, 12:14 AM
that part of the river is blocked by nimbus/ lake natomas dam. There are some good cats, trout and bass in there. Just think anything above hazel isn't really the river anymore. not since the 1950's

vito
11-08-2005, 07:39 AM
The Ca state record rainbow trout was caught about 1/2 mile upstream from there last month. People post about the area frequently. It is called lake Natoma.

mike22ca
11-08-2005, 09:27 AM
I know the guy who caught it. He's been talking about the fishing and the huge trout up there for years.

striper_assasin
11-08-2005, 10:30 AM
that area if im correct has produced the state record like 3 times in the last 5 yrs or so.there are BIG trout in there.

vito
11-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Mike22ca, I have a question for ya. I've read stories in the past where there was a record fish caught and the person who cught it recieved large endorsements, prizes and cash. Is your buddy now rolling in the dollars or what??

Smeja
11-09-2005, 04:54 PM
that part of the river is blocked by nimbus/ lake natomas dam. *There are some good cats, trout and bass in there. *Just think anything above hazel isn't really the river anymore. *not since the 1950's
thats what i thought but i wasnt sure i figured enough would make it down here and there to get a population going but i guess not, not so much with salmon but i know from personal experience striper show up in all kinds of weird places. This place doesnt seem so weird for them so i figured they would make there way down there over time but i guess not.

Smeja
11-09-2005, 04:55 PM
guys, thanks for answering my question! ;D

joe_tomlinson
11-10-2005, 07:14 PM
There were probably striper in there for several years after they built the dam, but after they died off there is no way for any fish to get back there from the river.
One thing I found interesting is that back in 1986 a 60lb sturgeon was caught in Lake Natomas. That would mean there are a few sturgeon in the american river, what a suprise if you caught one.

fishn4me
11-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Rumors have it that the sturgies are in Folsom also??? I just remembered that stripers aren't native to California, and I am not sure what year they were introduced but its possible that they never lived in the American before they dammed it because they would survive and could still be caught today example Lake Del Valle.

joe_tomlinson
11-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Stripers were brought hear in the late 1800s.

Chapa
11-11-2005, 01:54 AM
is this a state park?

Empire
11-11-2005, 06:21 AM
is this a state park?

Yup. Lake Natoma is part of Folsom Lake State Park.

Lots of big bass in there, and catfish too. Don't eat the catfish out of there, there is a mercury warning on those.