PDA

View Full Version : Barometric pressure and fishing

Irish
11-04-2005, 06:42 AM
There seems to be two thoughts on barometric pressure and fishing.

1. When a weather front is approaching (falling barometer) , such as rain and wind, it's more than likely the fish aren't going to bite. The same thing is true when a weather front is clearing, but it's not as drastic. But immediately following the passing of the front, as the barometer rises, the fish feed very aggressively and will continue to feed until the barometer begins to fall. (between 29.90 and 30.40 inches), or fluctuating rapidly.

2. Most scientists agree that barometric pressure should have little, if any, effect on fishing. Because water is denser than air, a small change in water depth will have a greater pressure effect on the fish than anything happening in the air above the water.

Iím just wondering what has been your experience and does anyone use this as a guide?
Maybe this is like the two and three star days.

Dennis
11-04-2005, 07:10 AM
I've had some great fishing during a rain. Don't know if the barometer was rising or falling. Don't really care.

Do I use it as a guide. NO I already have two or three things that tell me when I can go fishing. I don't need no stinking barometer.

Sometimes it's just about being on the water.
8)

Farrier_Frank
11-04-2005, 07:38 AM
A couple of weeks ago we put together a fishing trip to San Louis. It was right at the end of the full moon and we knew that could be trouble. But I had the time (an important part of the can-I-go-fishing equation) and I was working in that area, and most importantly my son was going with us. We didn't even get a bite that day but it was one of the best fishing trips yet - I like to know all the information regarding good-bad fishing days, but if I have the time I'm going fishing regardless of the moon or what the barometer says. ;)

RIVER_RAT
11-04-2005, 07:41 AM
I agree with Dennis, like a full moon, it's a great excuse if you don't catch anything but it doesn't keep me from going. unfortunately to many other things keep me from going most of the time.
EAGLE LAKE IN A WEEK!!!!!

Irish
11-04-2005, 08:18 AM
Donít get me wrong, the barometer is certainly not going to keep me from fishing or even determine when I fish. Like Dennis I have two things that determine when I go fishing. Time and Time. Weather is also not a problem. Thatís why I have a parka, rain gear and a weather cabin on my boat.
With all the talk about three star days, etc. I was just wondering if anyone noticed a difference in the bite.
To answer my own question I should be out fishing instead of sitting here asking a dumb question. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dennis
11-04-2005, 09:04 AM
It's not a dumb question. There might be someone out there that knows something we don't, like doc.

I will say that I know that fishing for sturgeon and kings in the river will be better based on the ingoing or outgoing tides.

As for the three star days, I'm not about to give up fishing the rest of the month and close out fishing on the other 20 days. For now I'll note my successes and look at the calendar sometime in the future more out of curiosity.

Farrier_Frank
11-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Irish... Your question about the effects of barometric pressure on fishing is a good one and we do appreciate it. As a person who deals with live stock I am keenly aware of the affects of barometric pressure. And if someone who knows the answer comes on board and says something intelligent about the topic I will surely read every word. But, like Dennis, if I have the chance to get out on the water I'm going - I keep a copy of that little book that tells the good fishing days and the hours to fish in my tackle box. And when the catching is slow, or nonexistent, I pull it out and look at it and go, "Yup, it's a bad day for fishing." But I still stay on the water just because I'm there. ;)

appleinorange
11-04-2005, 08:02 PM
There are three things that dictate when I go fishing #1 money #2 time #3 she is 5 ft. 7 and weight is about 140 pounds has long brown hair. ;)

jpayne
11-04-2005, 08:09 PM
yeah who needs a barometer when you have a wife.

fish4fun
11-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Maybe you can use the barometer to predict what your wife thinks about you going fishing!! ;D ;D.. Larry

CORN
11-05-2005, 07:01 AM
I can tell you that barometric pressure definitely has an affect on black bass. My worst days have been during rapidly rising high pressure. It's not always consistent, but there is definitely a trend, and it's also been documented. When the high pressure first comes, it gives bass lockjaw. They tend to move tight into, or under structure. Some say that the pressure affects their air bladders. This only lasts a day or two until they adjust. The high pressure will also have more of an effect on fish in shallow waters, like I have seen on the delta.

Some of my best days have been during the onset of a rain storm. Maybe dropping barometric pressures signal a bite?? That, I can't say for sure. Hope this helps.

fish4fun
11-05-2005, 08:22 AM
I agree with Corn. Pressure definitely affects bass fishing. I used to fish tournaments. Did it for 25 yrs. This was a definite pattern with the bass. When the barometer first falls(approaching storm front), the bite often turns on. I've gotten into some really hot bites as the sky darkened, the wind started to pick up, and the rain was approaching. Even had good bites during the storm. After the storm on a rising barometer, the bite would really drop off. The bass typically moved out a little deeper and held on secondary breaks with a definite case of lockjaw. Then after the weather and the barometer stabilized, they'd move back up from the deeper breaks, and the bite would pick up again. Bass are supposed to be able to sense pressure changes. I would imagine that trout can sense these changes also.. Larry

Sierra_hillbilly
11-05-2005, 06:16 PM
You know I've found that the best fishing is when a storm is moving in. I think some one has it mixed up. I've caught more fish on the lake when a cold front was in route than any other time.

notime
11-07-2005, 03:56 PM
You know I've found that the best fishing is when a storm is moving in. I think some one has it mixed up. I've caught more fish on the lake when a cold front was in route than any other time.

me too

Mr_Ed
11-07-2005, 09:48 PM
I try to fish before the storm to stay dry or warm; and it works for me. However I have also caught fish in the rain. ( a light rain ) I think the fish feel safer in bad weather, stained water, shade etc. Plus, how many people really like to fish in the rain !

FishinFool408
11-08-2005, 11:49 AM
:oFishin in the rain is awesome, particularly when you are prepared for it by having decent rain gear! It's especially good when catching too! ;D Some of my best striper fishing has been done in foul weather.

striper_assasin
11-08-2005, 03:14 PM
as far as stripers and sturgeons.in my experiences....it doesnt matter.ive caught fish in high waters and in very low waters.in a down pour of rain,light rain no rain.full moon or not.low tide,high tide,slack tide.the only way im going to catch a fish is to be out on the water=)

fenton_chris
11-08-2005, 11:36 PM
one of the guys at the auburn fishing store, swears by barometric pressure changing fishing. he's told me a few time while i was in there. he says it effects salmon in lakes and the ocean cuz hes seen it 1st hand. but as 4 me i go anyway! 8)

Dennis
11-09-2005, 08:44 AM
Okay I'll bite. ;) Did he say to fish on a rising, falling or steady pressure? Just wondering. I need another excuse to get out. lol

FishinFool408
11-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Excuses are overrated! We don't need no stinking excuses! ;D