PDA

View Full Version : Fireline for trolling ???

firetrout
11-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Has anyone used Fireline (Brand) line for trolling and what are the Pros and Cons? I was thinking about 8 lb test?

fishingchef
11-02-2005, 08:04 PM
yeah I've used fire line before for trolling, but I really like to tye on some mono or flouro leader. Really great for hard plastic minnnow bait and large type spoons. Fire lines diameter is smaller so the line has less drag. I like the 14 lb myself. It works great for plastics fishing also. The no strech aspect of it also means rock soild hook sets, but you get allot of those when trolling anways.

The Fishing Chef

fish4fun
11-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Fireline or other new superbraids work fine for trolling. Because they have so little stretch, it might be a good idea to troll them on a soft rod and/or with a lot of line out. That will lessen the chance that the hooks will get torn out of the fishes mouth. Advantages of using the braided line are the thinner diameter has less water resistance and will allow lures to run a little deeper. Thin braided lines like the 8lb test you are considering might not work so well in downrigger line releases because the diameter is so small. It might pre-release. For instance the popular yellow Off-Shore release used by Vance and Seps doesn't work well with 8lb Fireline. Off-Shore has a black release that does work. I believe that Sep uses it for on his super braided line releases. I'm sure some others will chime in and add some other thoughts. It's a good question.. Larry

Mr_Ed
11-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Fireline is a lot better than Spider. Spider is flat and will backlash big time !! Fireline runs off my levels & spin reels just like mono... Plus you can really "Feel" what is going on ; not like the strech of mono. As a matter of fact, on some places I have to use a "snubber" to keep from ripping the hook out; because of the no strech hard hook set. For x-lite I go mono, but for 10 pound plus go for it !!

sunracer1957
11-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Fireline is great for the top water game where you have 150-250 yards out, you'll get good solid hook sets because of no stretch, also good for Dipsy and Jet divers that have a release you have to trip, again no stretch like Mono, one draw back is when you snag you have to be on the pole cause you'll either break off the lure, or break a pole, or something else bad..

troutfan
11-04-2005, 03:48 AM
Fireline *is a lot better than Spider. *Spider is flat and will backlash big time !! *Fireline runs off my levels & spin reels just like mono... *Plus you can really "Feel" *what is going on ; not like the strech of mono. As a matter of fact, on some places I have to use a "snubber" to keep from ripping the hook out; because of the no strech hard hook set. *For x-lite I go mono, but for 10 pound plus *go for it !!
I like to tie a fluorocarbon leader directly to the fireline and it works well. You can't tie Spider directly to mono because it cuts it. ;)

iwishtobe
11-04-2005, 06:13 PM
power pro, with a fluorocarbon leader.

AllFishNoWork
11-05-2005, 05:09 AM
150-250 yards out
???

drstressor
11-05-2005, 05:39 AM
150-250 yards out

It's a brown thing. You wouldn't understand. ;)

fish4fun
11-05-2005, 08:25 AM
Maybe you mean 150 to 250 feet out. 250 yards is a heck of a long way back whether the fish is brown or not. ;D.. Larry

catfished
11-05-2005, 04:15 PM
power pro, with a fluorocarbon leader.
You got that right iwishtobe. Power Pro rules over Fireline and Spider Wire. I believe Fireline is made with dyneema (not sure of the spelling) and Power Pro is made with Spectra, a far superior fiber.

firetrout
11-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks guys for the infor and suggestions on leader material. *I find the thin line has a much *different feel, hard to get use to, I'll see how it works at Amador this Friday and report back. *

FISH4FUN, you are right about the use with release clips, I had tried it last week.

fishkiller
11-05-2005, 06:24 PM
???how do you set the hook with 150 to 250 yrd of line out, put pole in poleholder punch the throttle or what. :-/

Italianfish
11-06-2005, 08:48 AM
I should have read this thread before I put Spider wire on my salmon pole. I do not like it. It is 30 lb with 12 lb diameter. It tends to embed it self in the spool (does that make sense?) 20 dollars down the tubes. I bought it fo the newby's who need a little help.

drstressor
11-06-2005, 10:05 AM
I have had the same problem with Spiderwire. The best ones I have found are Power-pro and Tuffline. 30 lb test is about right. The lighter lines of all brands tend to bind in the spool when you retrieve under pressure. A big problem that no one has mentioned yet is line twist. If you are pulling stick baits that don't spin (i.e. Rapalas), braided lines are great. They are also great for vertical jigging. But if you use a dodger or rotating flasher, all the swivels in the world don't seem to prevent line twist. I use a long fluoro leader and attach that to the downrigger clip. But to be honest, I've pretty much gone back to mono for downrigger fishing except for Tahoe where the reduced drag of the braided line is useful at extreme depths.

Mr_Ed
11-07-2005, 10:15 PM
The only drawback with fireline that I have noticed, is due to its small diameter; it will release from a down rigger clip or snap, much easier and quicker than mono will. I also use a uni-knot for a leader in case of snags etc. because this line seldom breaks !!