PDA

View Full Version : Grubbing for Trout

Doubleheader
11-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Thinking of picking up some grubs to add to my trolling arsenal. Looking to troll the basic valley lakes like New Melones, Amador as well as Berryessa. Saw some Seps grubs but not sure whether to get 2 inch ones or 3 inch ones. What size is preferred? Which basic colors should I have? What is the proper setup? Any other thoughts appreciated.

SuperDave
11-06-2005, 05:49 PM
I like 3" if run by itself and 2" if run on an Uncle Larry's spinner.

Mark_Damron
11-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Get both sizes and ALL colors. Best trolled with Sep's sidekick dodgers and the 4/0 dogers. 8-12 inch leaders,NO snubber! with size 2-4 bait holder hooks. Pick up some scent,nightcrawler,garlic,etc... or trout sauce from Pro-Cure. PHM

ratss427
11-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Get both sizes and ALL colors. Best trolled with Sep's sidekick dodgers and the 4/0 dogers. 8-12 inch leaders,NO snubber! with size 2-4 bait holder hooks. Pick up some scent,nightcrawler,garlic,etc... or trout sauce from Pro-Cure. PHM
i couldnt have said it any better. ;D

drstressor
11-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Sounds like at least $50 just to fish grubs. ;D

FreshwaterFrank
11-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Aren't grubs free for the grubbing? Sierra pines & most of the firs are full of grubs, fairly easy to find & harvest any time of the year. A good axe & a crowbar are what you need to get at them. Find a pine tree, a few years down & with the bark falling off, but with the outside wood not punky yet. Look for small holes in the wood, that's where the beetles drill in & lay their eggs ~2" down... when you hit the trunk with an axe along the grain it should come apart pretty easy. Inside the outer layer is a punky, grub & millipede infested zone. Lodgepoles, silvers & sugarpines are the best, red fir, doug fir, ponderosa & jeffrey will all carry the big 2" jobs that will just kill any trout they are properly presented to. No other live bait comes close in my estimation, for general mountain fishing. Better than grasshoppers. There's this one high lake I know...hard to get to no boats... that is stocked with Lahontans, & is usually impervious to anything but flies at dawn or dusk. The only exception I have found in 40+ years is grubs. On the E.Carson grubs will always work for me. Headwaters of the Stan & the Moke always give it up to grubs. The few times I've used grubs trolling in Melones they've worked fine.

A little known fact is that these same grubs were a highly prized epicurean delight to the Miwoks, Washoes, & Paiutes who traversed the area. They would thread them onto a string of sinew or willow, put it around their necks, & use the impaled grubs for snacks. Yummm!

Face it, Grubs Rule!!!!

Mr_Ed
11-07-2005, 10:01 PM
I have had luck with a jig from shore for some trout; however there are a LOT of other lures that outfish a grub when trolling. I would pass on this idea if I were you, unless you just want to do it.