PDA

View Full Version : Am I mis-understanding?

AllFishNoWork
10-23-2005, 06:13 AM
Several times recently I have read posts where the report says something similiar to "after we got our limits, we kept fishing and got a few more". That is not an exact quote, but that was the message I understood. Am I mis-understanding the posts or the rules? I thought the DFG rules are when you have a limit, you are done fishing for the day.

FishMischief
10-23-2005, 06:18 AM
You are correct Allfish. One of the posts I read this was pointed out to the poster though I think the whole report was bogus anyway.

Sierra_hillbilly
10-23-2005, 08:22 AM
I know if we are fishing and conducting catch and release some times we will keep a couple for the pan but we will only keep 3 or 4 on the stringer.

Trout_Terminator
10-23-2005, 12:52 PM
what happens if you catch like 5 salmon (folsom lake) and you are still wanting to catch rainbows, what do you do then? do you stop fishing for the day? or can you still fish? ???

fishn4me
10-23-2005, 08:10 PM
well okay heres one for you, in a bass tourney your limit is 5 and once you have those 5 in the live well you cull your fish trying to get bigger one's. wouldn't that be the same for other species of fish? All considering you never know what you're going to catch could be a catfish or a carp (different species thus different slots)

FISHSTALKER
10-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Trout are not as hardy a fish as the large or small mouth bass and will easily die due to stress .

Rusty_Hooks
10-24-2005, 05:25 AM
And if I'm not mistaken it is illegal to have trout in a live well.....alive

This question came up last season at eagle lake and it was pointed out that, as Fishstalker said, "Trout are not as resilient as bass and have a lower survival rate than bass.

Salmanoids....catch and release or bag and go home

tdekens
10-24-2005, 07:17 AM
I called fish and game this year and they said when you have your limit you are done. Bass tournaments are different and fall under DFG's tournament rules. Thats why they have to get permits to do tournaments. They wont approve the permit on a lake that cant sustain the loss of fish from a tournament. The part they will bust you on is that fact that you are in pursuit which they will verify by what you are using. Its like using 4/0 hooks bouncing roe in the river where salmon season is closed and you say you are steelhead fishing. You are getting a ticket. If you use say #2 hooks with roe the game warden will buy that. If you are ever in doubt on a regulation call them thats why some of them are paid. Most have been asked the same regualtion a 100 times and can clarify and tell you why that rule is there. Sometimes its not obvious till they tell you. Just my 2 cents
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

SuperDave
10-24-2005, 11:20 AM
What is reasoning behind no trout in live well? That would be comparable to no trout on stringer in the lake.

drstressor
10-24-2005, 12:00 PM
The reason is that they don't want people moving live trout around. Once on a stringer, a trout is dead. If the water is cold enough and well aerated, they might live long enough in a live well such that they could potentially be transported to another lake or stream.

Trout_Terminator
10-24-2005, 04:19 PM
so how do you keep your catch fresh then? gut it any clean it right there?

ghostfish_slayer
10-24-2005, 04:46 PM
it should not be their decision to say when a person is done fishing.as long as you have a license and the proper stamps to fish those waters and are not (taking) over limits or fish out of season.there are too many species that share the same diet.for them to regulate a person by saying you may be targeting a certain species is criminal.if a person is fishing they are doing just that.fishing.tell them that.it is not their decision to say what that person is fishing for.anything may bite what you toss out.if we keep allowing them to regulate us like that.we might as well not fish period.

Diego916
10-24-2005, 08:11 PM
it should not be their decision to say when a person is done fishing.as long as you have a license and the proper stamps to fish those waters and are not (taking) over limits or fish out of season.there are too many species that share the same diet.for them to regulate a person by saying you may be targeting a certain species is criminal.if a person is fishing they are doing just that.fishing.tell them that.it is not their decision to say what that person is fishing for.anything may bite what you toss out.if we keep allowing them to regulate us like that.we might as well not fish period.

I have to agree with GFS, but some DF&G wardens will stick it to you if they can and its really too bad.

Set_The_Hook
10-27-2005, 10:30 AM
I understand alot of folks being bothered by the regs about having a limit of one species and then not being able to continue targeting that species to C&R. Part of the problem lies with the folks who are just plain poaching or being a game hog. As a former ODF&W employee, it's pretty difficult to distinguish if the guy you are checking is on the up and up and just C&R or is a game hog who is in the process loading up the freezer because the fishing is just incredible.
When a warden/game cop approaches a sportsperson he has a pretty short time to size up whether or not that person is doing something illegal.
Not to mention that when you are fishing and planning on just C&R and you mortally hook a fish, that fish that you put in your creel is most likely not over your limit.
There are just too many variables, we could "What If" this thing to death.
I agree that some of the regs can be ridiculous. When we find the dumb regulations we need to petition the Game Commission to reconsider whether the intent of the reg is a tool to protect and manage the resource or loophole cash cow for the department.
I will now step off my rickety lil soapbox. :)

troutfan
10-28-2005, 03:43 AM
so how do you keep your catch fresh then? gut it any clean it right there?
You keep your catch fresh by putting them on ice as soon as you catch them. If you put them in the water you should have a towel to cover them. You must keep the sun off of them. If you don't have an ice chest available put a handful of grass in with the fish, it really seems to help. *I don't clean them until I get home or to camp and my fish hit the freezer in great shape. *I fish in the summer and see people with their stringer sitting in four inches of water for hours and all I can do is shake my head. :o

GN.
10-28-2005, 07:20 PM
I asked a game warden the same question as Hinrid. What I was told is that one of the reasons that you can't keep trout alive once you have decided to keep them is that they were having a problem with people using them as bait for other species such as bass. I wanted clarification about the rule so that I didn't have one of those nasty experiences you are all talking about.

FishMischief
11-02-2005, 03:10 PM
So then I thought you couldn't keep C&R fishing with a species that falls within the same bag limit. But for instance could you not limit on Trout and then Catch and release bass?

Mickey_Thomas
11-02-2005, 03:41 PM
It's easy, when you have a limit you're done fishing ???

Mr_Ed
11-02-2005, 10:20 PM
I was shore fishing Pyr Lk Mon; and there were 2 guys & a girl already fishing. They were using a fish cage (ring) to put the fish in , to keep them alive. I noticed that there were 4 fish in the cage and asked who limited out? This young man told me " I caught 3 of them, the girl didn't get anything, but she does not have a license anyway!
I advised him that if a warden saw them still fishing with their limits in the cage, they could be fined. He walked away & they kept fishing........( Do you think all their fish were of legal size? )..."They are everywhere !!!!".

AllFishNoWork
11-03-2005, 03:46 AM
If I am worried about "limiting out" when I fish (which is rare) This is how I approach the day.
Keep the first to avoid the shutout and have one for the plate
Keep #'s 2 and 3 for fish that won't survive
#4 is "the one" meaning C&R 'till I get a really nice one
#5 is again for the one that won't survive and means the day is over.

Mickey_Thomas
11-03-2005, 06:22 AM
If you plan ahead there isn't a problem, so when you're worried about it just use Allfish's formula ;)

Farrier_Frank
11-03-2005, 06:47 AM
PB and I use the Allfish formula, too, especially the part about keeping the first one. The first one is the good luck charm and if you throw it back it's like walking under a ladder or seeing a black cat and the rest of the day will be a bust. If you really want to be be conscientious target Mack's. In that case the first fish could very well be your last for the day. ;)

Oxbow
11-03-2005, 07:02 AM
A good many years ago I caught five largemouth bass at a local lake. *I then proceeded uplake to where the river entered and caught five rainbows, a limit for each species. *When I boated the fifth rainbow, I packed it in and went home. Was I breaking the law?

Farrier_Frank
11-03-2005, 07:17 AM
Interesting question Oxbow. Last week, after I landed the second keeper sturgeon, GC informed me we had to pull up anchor and head for shore since one sturgeon each was a limit. Since it was only noon we talked about targeting stripers but, being unclear about how the law is interpreted we headed in. :-/

deltaboats
11-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Frank,
If a a Warden had observed you catching and keeping 2 sturgeon you would have recieved a ticket. Boat limits are not legal in the delta. You were in violation. Limits are set with the idea that not every fisherman will get his limit every time they go out. If everyone did get a limit everytime the limit would need to be lowered.

Oxbow
11-03-2005, 09:00 AM
Delta,

This really is an unclear section of the code. Frank may have been fishing for stripers after he caught the first sturgeon, they do eat some of the same baits. Do you think he would have been cited had he released the second sturgeon? I would have been in the same boat with the bass/trout limits although I would have released any bass. I'm in favor of saving the resource but when fishing in waters with multiple species it seems the fisherman is at the mercy and whim of the warden in this matter. Some clarity in the law would certainly be welcome.

deltaboats
11-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Oxbow,
Sure you can keep fishing for stripers. But when you catch and keep a 2nd sturgeon the law is pretty clear that you are over the limit. Where is the confusion?

Oxbow
11-03-2005, 09:41 AM
Delta,

No confusion on keeping the second sturgeon but some folks are interpreting the law to say that once you have a limit you must stop fishing. When fishing in multiple species waters is when the confusion enters. I mostly fish for trout and often pick up a bass and the occasional catfish with the same gear. I don't keep over my limit if I keep any trout at all but if my partner is trying to fill his limit after I filled mine, who is to say that I'm fishing for trout, bass or catfish. This is where I think the fisherman is at the mercy of the warden and I would like to see some clarity in the law.

deltaboats
11-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Oxbow,
If you are saying that you will keep fish toward your partners limit after your limit is filled, that is not legal. I will give you, you could lie to the Warden when he asks you what you fishing for and get away with it, but that doesn't make it right. I hunt and fish with a handful of guys and I wouldn't want them catching fish or shooting birds to fill my limit. It just isn't right. That is not the way that the limits are set. They are set with the idea that not everyone is going to limit everytime out. If everyone did limit everytime the limits would have to be cut to account for that. I am not saying that boat limits or hunting party limits don't happen. A couple of years ago the party boats were caught doing that and many people paid the price. Their solution was to legalize boat limits on the party boats. And right now they have the lowest limits they have ever had. Everyone gets a limit to take home but its not as much as the good fisherman could have taken home 10 years ago. The thinkng that you can catch 8 fish if your partner only catches 2 is not very conservation minded and will eventually lead to lower limits.

deltaboats
11-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Here is what I do. If I am fishing trout and the limit is 5 I will keep the first 4 and C&R the 5th. I can fish all day as long as I do this. If I catch one that swallows the hook then I have #5 and my day is over. I did that this year fishing with my 10 year old son. He was having trouble getting his limit and I kept releasing #5 so I could continue to fish until he was done. He eventually caught his 5th and I ended with 4. As soon as you have #5 on your stringer you have to stop. If I try to C&R with 5 on my stringer and then have one swallow the hook I am either over the limit or "wanton waste" when I throw a dead fish back.

Oxbow
11-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Delta,

Please read my post again, I clearly said "...if my partner is trying to fill HIS limit...", Im not trying to circumvent the law. *My wife doesn't eat fish, I only eat it occasionally and I could buy enough fish to last my family and yours for the rest of our years with what I have invested in equipment. *I'm simply saying that either the law is unclear or some of us are misundestanding the law as it is written, maybe both, and I for one would like for the law to be clear enough that no person is cited simply because the warden is having a bad hair day. *Please do not jump to conclusions or assume the worst of my character until you have read and understand my post(s).

Thank You!

Farrier_Frank
11-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Wow! ----- A lot happens during the day - after you post in the morning with a question, and then come home in the evening and check the boards - well sometimes it needs a little straighten out.

Deltaboats... You must have not read the report GC and I made on the sturgeon board: We caught two keeper sturgeon. We caught five sturgeon between us but we only kept two: One for his fishing license and one for mine (GC caught the big one and I caught the "little one"; the action was there and then gone). And because we got up at 3 am that morning, and drove 113 miles one way to fish that day, we really did not want to pull the boat out that early, so we discussed the legality of the question at hand on this thread: Can you fish for a second species if you already have a limit of another? We didn't know the answer so we pulled up anchor and went home and cleaned fish.

Diego916
11-03-2005, 08:56 PM
DF&G clarify the law, please! *::)

FishMischief
11-03-2005, 09:41 PM
No I dont think thats what he is saying. he is asking the same question I was.

There is a limit for bass and a limit for trout. Many time species are in the same lake. Is it illegal to limit of each? Salmon and trout are in the same bag limit but bass aren't. I probably would never do this anyway but just curious. Oxbow said he did. I wasn't aware that a trout limit prevents you from then fishing bass.

Ocean limits arent that way. We often surpassed a limit of one species and then targeted another (I think there is a mixed bag limit of 15 for ocean species, if I remember correctly).

Steelhead
11-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Boat limits for trout.....What a concept ;D

fish4fun
11-04-2005, 04:42 AM
As far as I know you are allowed to catch separate limits of two different species. For example you can catch 5 bass and 5 trout out of Lake Berryessa. If I already have 5 trout I need to release any other trout I catch while I'm fishing for bass. Likewise, you can catch a limit of rockfish and a limit of salmon from the ocean.. Larry

Flipper266
11-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Larry,
I was under the impression that you could not limit on salmon in the ocean then go for rockfish because you would have hooks with trebles on your pole. Then if caught by DFG they would assume you used the treble hooks to catch the salmon. Am I wrong? Is there a way to fish for more than just salmon on one outing if you limit with salmon?

tahoetopliner
11-07-2005, 05:40 PM
As it stands now you may fish , Catch and release , or keep up to the regulated limit. If you have your limit , don't fish anymore as the local warden has warned us when we are guiding on Tahoe. "If they have the limit don't even let them touch a pole." One it could be ruled party fishing ,two taking over the limit ,three just asking for trouble. Take a couple , release a couple that way there is always more out there for fun later.

Farrier_Frank
11-07-2005, 06:21 PM
There's another thread on this GFD board that suggests getting a Warden to join the boards. Maybe that's not a bad idea. Topics like this come up often on the boards and usually end up going in circles because nobody really knows what the answer is. And often the answer varies depending on the species being fished and the water they're in. I read most of the reply's and still go to a new area to fish and flip the coin when a regulation is in question. Maybe we do need the Wardens board?

AllFishNoWork
11-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Is there a way to fish for more than just salmon on one outing if you limit with salmon?

This is just my interpretation, if you are fishing for or have salmon in the boat you need to be barbless.

Mickey_Thomas
11-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Allfish, that's the way I read it also, it came up in a tournyment that I was fishing in and if you have a Salmon on board you have to fish barbless even if it's for Striper or Halibut.

Mr_Ed
11-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Two weeks ago out at Pramid lake, there were two guys & a lady fishing. They had 4 fish in a "cage" and were still fishing. The "corker" was one of them told me the girl didn't even have a license. Mis-understanding ??