PDA

View Full Version : Why no muskie

liquidsoap
10-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Ive been a member for about a week, and began catching the ropes, i wondered i fish for muskie and pike alot, how come i dont see no pictures here, and if u got some id like to see em!

longliner
10-15-2005, 05:35 PM
I doubt if you fish for pike and/or musky in this state. To my knowledge there are neither in this state except for some in Davis Lake which have to be killed on the spot if caught. I think the waters in this state are generally too warm for one; nobody here wants either species for two. I'm not one of those, but that's the way it is CA.

liquidsoap
10-15-2005, 06:18 PM
so from what i can see everyone here fishes west coast :(
no one from ohio :(

wading2fish
10-15-2005, 07:04 PM
liquidsoap,

welcome to the boards. Yes, mostly everyone here fishes in the West Coast, namely California. But I have read a couple of people's posts that are from other states. If you have any pics of musky or pike I would like to see them.

w2f

liquidsoap
10-15-2005, 07:09 PM
I do :), but no scanner currently. To poor to splurge on digatal camera! But not to poor to splurge on a nitro bass boat *;)
Once i get my scanner up and running ill be sure to post em.
by the way nothing big, but dang! sure is fun to catch *;D

wading2fish
10-15-2005, 07:25 PM
I do :), but no scanner currently. To poor to splurge on digatal camera! But not to poor to splurge on a nitro bass boat *;)
Once i get my scanner up and running ill be sure to post em.
by the way nothing big, but dang! sure is fun to catch *;D

LOL, hey liquid, you got your priorities straight. Look at me, I got a nice digital cam but no boat. I would say you are way better off than me! ;)

w2f

liquidsoap
10-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Ok, good point!
but heres the problem every lake by me has a 50 horsepower limit, mines alot more then that, the boat gets distroyed on lake erie. so i have basically 2 lakes, tappan, and westbranch. Tappan is nationally known for its bass fishing. And westbranch got musky, thats how it started :). Trade camera for boat maybe lol

AllFishNoWork
10-16-2005, 06:37 AM
Here in No Cal, if you wanna see Muskie you gotta watch OLN.

cheesehead
10-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Liquid,
Welcome to the boards. *Yes as mentioned earlier this is a west coast magazine 'The Fish Sniffer' s' web page. *

I'm originally from Wisconsin now I live in Nevada, and I can tell you that the west coast fishing is very different than what your used to in the midwest. * Trout and Salmon dominate and the watershed is mostly rivers and reserviours, not too many natural lakes. *Pike and Musky are not native to these fisheries and if they were introduced the can desimate the trout populations, like earlier mentioned Davis Lake. * It is however just as addicting as warm water game fishing.

Trout_Terminator
10-22-2005, 08:43 AM
so if i go to davis lake and catch a pike i have to kill it?

Steelhead
10-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Somewhere out there is this old Dorados tune about a bass fisherman who has the Ranger but he is so poor he has to sleep in the back seat of his old Cadillac because he can't afford a truck ;D

johnbfishin
10-22-2005, 06:41 PM
8)

wareagle
10-26-2005, 03:23 AM
I agree...

http://www.tristatefishing.org/images/stories/you%20should%20have%20been%20there!%204x4.jpg

WAR

Mickey_Thomas
10-26-2005, 05:40 AM
Welcome to the boards liquidsoap and WarEagle, keep posted and reporting what you're catching, some of us do road trips every year, you never know, you might entice us to your state ;) ;D

Farrier_Frank
10-26-2005, 05:52 AM
We have members as far east as New Hampshire and enjoy their reports and pictures. If you have pictures and stories about fish we know no boarders. So post away.... and welcome to the boards.

Mickey_Thomas
10-26-2005, 06:28 AM
How about some info on the Tri-State Fishing Club, how many members and what type of events do you hold? Us forum members don't call this a club but we do hold get to geathers at different lakes a few times a year. Any topic you see with the word "fest" usually means it's a sniffer forum member event ;)

sunracer1957
10-26-2005, 07:22 AM
Liquid

Yes there are some Ohio boys out here, I used to fish Westbranch every once and a while, and when Muskie fishing we would pull the largest Rapals made right in the prop wash at 7-10 mph cool stuff,, Im from North Lima and spent alot of time on Berlin and Mosquito Res. Walleye fishing, also fishing Erie on your boat is not out of the question just watch the weather,, keep us posted on the fishing out there and post up some pics when you can, also send some of those yummie Walleyes were hungry out here..

SuperDave
10-26-2005, 07:38 AM
Welcome to the boards liquidsoap and WarEagle, keep posted and reporting what you're catching, some of us do road trips every year, you never know, you might entice us to your state ;) ;D

Mick, with comments like this no out of state folks will post if they think there is a chance you'll come there. ;D

fish4fun
10-26-2005, 07:58 AM
I grew up fishing some in the midwest. Caught pickerel, northerns and walleye. Never got lucky enough to land a muskie. Had one on once and lost him when he ran into a submerged brush pile. When I was a counselor at a boys camp in Minong, Wis there were a couple of interesting muskie stories (or tales, you be the judge).

One story was about a mishbehavin' camper. Apparently this kid acted up on a fishing trip over to the Minong Flowage. Mind you there's some big fish in that area as evidenced by a 60lb plus muskie hanging on the wall of a local restaurant/bar. Anyway for punishment the kid was left on shore while everyone else went out in boats. When the boats returned later that afternoon.. Guess What! That bad kid had hooked and was still fighting a large muskie. After quite a while the fish was finally landed. I can't remember the exact weight, but it was stuffed and hanging on the wall of the mess hall back in the camp. I'm thinking it was around 40lbs. That kid sure got punished.. didn't he!

The second story is about a large musky in the lake the camp bordered on. The way the story goes is that some kid was out on the lake in a rowboat and decided to go swimming. So, he stripped down to his bathing suit and dove in and WHAMMM/BAM/SPLASH! He was hit/slashed in the side by a large fish(probably a muskie) that struck the splash he made when he dove in. (Common reason would tell you that a musky won't go after someone swimming but might strike at a sudden splash.) The kid required numerous stitches along his side where the great fish hit him but was otherwise ok.

Older, experienced counselors and the camp owner all insisted these were true stories. Whether they were true or not, they certainly added to the lore of the camp and of the great muskies that inhabited those waters. Believe what you want.. Larry

Farrier_Frank
10-26-2005, 08:16 AM
Those stories are plausible, Larry. Last weekend IT and PB were trolling Hell Hole and said the boat crowd didn't fair well but the kids left on shore were having a heyday, catching fish right and left. Besides, a good story, accurate or not, is fine with me. ;)

fish4fun
10-26-2005, 08:54 AM
Thanks Frank. I believe the one about the bad kid left on shore because of the stuffed fish hanging in the mess hall. Not sure what to believe about the kid getting slashed when he dove in the water. But I like to remember the story.. who knows it might be true! I guess that's the fun of having stories.. Larry

wareagle
10-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Well, the Tri State Fishing Club was kind of born out of my buddy Alan and I just trying to get some guys to go places and fish. So now we have about a dozen guys in the group and a couple of "honorary" members like my mom and Scott Johnson's Dad.

We are mostly a traveling band of drinking fisherpeople. We had a handful of "outings" this year. A few of us took a week off in the spring to fish Southern Indiana, 7 lakes in 5 days, mostly Largemouth. 7 of us spent 4 days in a cabin the size of a pinto on Marblehead at Lake Erie for Walleye and Smallmouth. 4 of us spent a week in Kenora, Ontario for 6 days on the Winnipeg River, Walleye, Pike, Smallmouth, and Perch. And then 3 of us spent a long weekend (Thur-Mon) in St. Pete Beach deep sea fishing for Grouper, Cobia, Snapper, and Shark, and waded the intercoastal for Snook. We had great almost unbelievable success on all the trips this year. We talked about how we could ever top the year we just had.

I tournament fish with a group called the MIBA for Bass once a month, but since most of our guys are spread over 3 states we have to pick our spots to get people together. Trips are the easiest.

I am a Pro Staff member for a couple of lure manufacturers, Ambush Lures, Sqworm Tackle, and Leverage Lures. I started www.tristatefishing.org to just put up pictures of the guys with fish and to have fun, but it has been a nice place to show support for the people who have supported either myself or the club. And if any of the guys tick me off, I can post pictures of them with their basses hanging out.

WAR

Mickey_Thomas
10-28-2005, 03:41 AM
We call those trips mini-fest War ;) Keep us informed on what you guys are doing, I think we have one or two drinking fishermen on these forums too ;D ;D ;D