PDA

View Full Version : Spider Wire???

FishnDave
10-24-2005, 07:46 AM
Having never used spiderwire when spooling your baitcasting reel how much tension should you use? I know with mono i wind my reels fairly tight.

Fisndave

deltalover
10-24-2005, 08:48 AM
I use spiderwire. I dont really spool it any different then mono, a little tension. More importantly, when you get hung up use a stick or something and not your spool to break off. If you dont the line will dig into the spool and make your next cast a nitemare!

http://img425.imageshack.us/img425/3041/fishin9nj.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Erreck
10-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Just my take, but SpiderWire sucks on baitcasters :-/. I absolutely love it on spinning gear, but it's so prone to backlash and birdsnests that I wouldn't use it on a baitcaster. JMO

deltalover
10-24-2005, 10:26 AM
I use it (#50 stealth) on my tica caiman baitcaster and I love it. The small dia. does make getting backlashes out harder though and picking at the line can damage it. I also use 10 (equiv of 1 pound)pound powerpro on a master baitcaster, I imagine spiderwire in that size be the same.

sunracer1957
10-24-2005, 11:40 AM
I've used spider wire in the past on trolling reels where your going to run Dipsy divers or Jet divers way behind the boat,, like 150-200' its great for this cause it dosen't stretch and you can get a good hook set,, Iv'e never tried casting it, so I can't help you on that one..

kstone44
10-24-2005, 07:51 PM
I have tried the spider wire and did not like it. I have switched to power pro and love it on my baitcasters.I even use it on my wifes spinning gear . I spool it the same way as mono.The only thing is I use a turn of scotch tape over the first cranks of the line when you start to spool your reel ,if not the whole spool of line will spin on the reel shaft when you need to set hook or reel in anything with resistance on it.

Diego916
10-24-2005, 08:07 PM
I use spiderwire. I dont really spool it any different then mono, a little tension. More importantly, when you get hung up use a stick or something and not your spool to break off. If you dont the line will dig into the spool and make your next cast a nitemare!

Good advice!

I absolutely hate spider wire, though. However, power pro rocks. I've soaked the p pro line I have on my reel now for at least 100 hours catfishing this summer and it still looks brand new. Compared to spider wire, which started to fray after about 10 casts, power pro is FAR superior. It also doesn't kink as bad and is easier to tie.

As to your question, use slight tension when spooling and, even though it is a pain, spool about 20 yards or so of mono on first. Hope this helps!

deltalover
10-25-2005, 05:45 AM
Its true that power pro is good stuff, but it cost twice as much as spiderwire and I have my doubts about its abrasion resistance. I bet, I am not the only one that has had power pro mysteriously break! ???

PlugROCKSTAR
10-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Having never used spiderwire when spooling your baitcasting reel how much tension should you use? *I know with mono i wind my reels fairly tight.

Fisndave *

Don't waste your money on SpiderWire. Spiderwire is the worst braid money can buy.

Go with PowerPro instead.

Fishbutt21
10-26-2005, 04:37 PM
I do not do much fresh water fishing but have only had luck with "spiderwire" as a leader for sharks,it just seems to tangle way too easy on my reels,After trying lots of brands of "spectra" braid lines the best I have found is TUFF LINE I have one rod for sturgeon with tuffline and have landed over forty legal fish in five years and no break-offs yet on the same spool of line

survivor
10-26-2005, 05:33 PM
;D ;DWhen spooling braided line always put some black electrical tape on the spool first. Then when you start putting on the line make sure it cuts into the tape so the line won't slip. When you start winding the braid on make sure you criss cross it quite rapidly to make sure the line does not go on in a tight pattern, that way the braid won't cut into itself. Use a towel or something so you don't burn your hand putting tension on the line. Or you can put some mono line as a backing making sure you put a dollop of superglue to the knot just to make sure it doesn't come apart from your braided line. Just my 2 cents.
Paul aka Survivor