PDA

View Full Version : Niles Canyon

K510
10-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Anyone fished out at Niles canyon? What's out there?

ratss427
10-16-2005, 06:18 PM
i used to fish it 10 years ago.there were some fish to be caught .but nothing to write home about.but, it was a fun urban c&r fishery. ;)

K510
10-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Thanks Rats... I'm new to the area to just trying to find good places to fish. So far, I've tried Quarry and Shadow Cliff. Both haven't been so good to me.

SLAMONIDAE
10-17-2005, 01:13 PM
HI GUY~

I grew up in Fremont California back in the early 1970's. I fished Niles, Alameda Creek, Quarry Lakes before they screwed it all up and named it that... Buntings Pond, and many other gravel quarries out there.

We used to fish each quarry for a different species each day.

One lake had world class crappie, another had huge carp, what is now called Quarry Lakes... used to be Isherwood Pond and 5 other smaller quarry lakes. EBRPD and EBMUD F&%$#ED it all up when they knocked the dirt out from between the separate bodies of water and combined it all into one commercial recreation lake.

In the early 1980's I could go to Isherwood and Paseo Padre PKWY and catch anywhere from 15-30 largemouths and none would be under 3 lbs, many would be 10+lbs. I could go to buntings Pond behind Peralta BLVD and catch as many as 100 largemouths or fish the pipe at Thornton Ave for dozens fo crappie using crappie busters (jigs) or catch 2-3 lb bluegill all day long at a few of the ponds.

The Rhodes and Jameson boys stocked those waters as far back as the 1940's but unfortunately.... overpopulated, commercialized recreation replaced their 'secret holes'.

I used to fly fish for stocked rainbows in Niles at a place called THE SPOT, a small campground/biker bar... but that closed down many years ago.

Believe it or not... Alameda Creek used to be loaded with Steelhead (1960's and earlier) and I caught a few in the 70's but rip-rap, rubber dams, grading and flood control wiped that fishery out... The run used to start at Dumbarton in the SF Bay and go up to Calveras area...

If you REALLY want to catch some fine trout, go to Calveras Reservoir (but don't get caught) as it closed to the public... and I didn't tell you to go there heh hehe~

I live in the Sac area and fish steelies and salmon only... It was by chance that I was updating my profile an dcuaght "NILES" out of the corner of my eye. PRETTY COOL TOO cuz I'm now 41 and I learned to fish in your backyard at the age of 8~

I can tell you some secret holes to catch bass in (they still exist and are open to my knowledge) Call me (916) 989-6830 or email @gotthegoodgoods@sbcglobal.net OR come up here and I'll put you on one a' these>>>

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/ebabukit/101205/OCTBUCK.jpg

fishingbrat
10-17-2005, 02:18 PM
You can always fish the Dumbarton Pier or Shinn pond. To be honest I haven't lived out there since 98 so I have no clue whats good fishing any more. I remember The Spot! Are you a "secret sidewalker" too?? LOL

terrydude1
10-23-2005, 12:18 PM
I use to live in fremont in the mid 80s and fished shin pond all the time for stripers, it was, (as told to me from fish and game) one of the first places in Cal. that they stocked fresh water stripers for testing, we would constantly pull 5 to 8pound fish out of there usesing live baby bluegill caught out of the same pond useing no weight, (it was leagle according to the wardens)Brings back some memorys.

Fishsnuffer
10-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Wow Chrome, what a blast from the past. You look like someone I went to high school with (MSJ 83'). I remember when they drained "The Pits". Monster fish left floundering in a mud hole with scales the size of silver dollars. ;)