PDA

View Full Version : Place to start

fishhawk101
10-22-2005, 08:29 AM
I'm new to the Santa Rosa area and I have a smaller boat (16') that is setup for midwest fishing. I'm looking for suggestions on a lake to get my CA fishing career started.

I'm interested in bass and trout equaly.

Clear lake's size is a little scary to me. Are there any areas that I can hide from the wind and still have a shot at a big fish? Do the landing get quite crowded?

Would IVR be a good choice for me because of it's size? I'm interested in the combo of bass and trout there.

Lake Sonoma is the closest lake but I don't seem to see much information on it. Should I stay close to home and learn this lake?

Also, any advice on lake maps and bait/tackle stores?

Thanks and sorry for the general questions. I feel like I need to pair down some of the options and just get a line wet. Thanks for any suggestions!!!

fish4fun
10-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi fishhawk101.. I live in Santa Rosa and have fished around here for quite a few years. Lake Sonoma is the closest lake to Santa Rosa and has largemouth, smallmouth, and land locked steelhead. The bass are plentiful all over the lake. The landlocked steelhead can be difficult to target, but are great fighters when you do. It doesn't get terribly rough when the wind blows but the wind does make it more difficult to fish. There are lots of places on this lake where you can fish away from the waves. Lake Berryessa is about 1-1/2 hr drive from Santa Rosa and has largemouth, smallmouth, spotted bass, rainbow trout, kokanee salmon, and king salmon. This lake can get very rough when the wind blows but it does have places where you can fish out of the wind/waves. However travelling to and from the launch area can be a rough, possibly dangerous drive if you are out there when the wind is really blowing. Clear Lake is also about 1-1/2 hrs from Santa Rosa and has a plentiful population of Florida strain largemouth bass. These Florida strain bass get quite big. If you want a good shot at a bass over 10 lbs, this is the place. Finally little Spring Lake located in Santa Rosa has a decent population of Florida strain largemouth that can run fairly large.. Larry