PDA

View Full Version : Fisher Diaries

Zepplock
09-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Hey guys,

would any of you be interested in keeping online fishing diary?

The idea is to mark the fish on map of the lake. Also keep track of time, weather, bait and equipment. Have weather forecasts and so on. And being able to search lakes for popular fishing places, fish and bait types and time of the year.

Does this make any sense?

Collegebound
09-22-2005, 06:14 PM
Sounds like a great idea! where would it be posted?
Mike

Zepplock
09-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Sounds like a great idea! where would it be posted?
Mike

Every user will have it's own "diary" with a list of reports, catches, baits, photos and statistics. Everything is online, no need to download and install software. Can be accessed from any computer.

Mr_Ed
09-22-2005, 08:16 PM
It is a great idea! However, when most of us go into the field and spend $$ and hours of time on streams and lakes, to log all the info from w/temp,air/temp,line size,weight size,lures,baits,fly size,colors,depths,speeds,time of day,area of water,PH etc;.....Most of us will only give you 40% info if you are lucky! We all like to help; but we also like to keep an ACE in the hole!! WE might meet in a turny some day? Later....Mr Ed

Zepplock
09-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Well, all this info is optional. You choose which one you want to report. I also want to make a special feature that will allow users to make reports public (for everybody) or private (to keep that 'kool' spots in secret)

jdogg
09-23-2005, 09:28 AM
this whole forum is a diary, and then some ;D

Zepplock
09-23-2005, 10:39 AM

Forum is great. Especially this one. The best info on local fishing. I learned so much here.

But personalized diary wirh reports, photos, etc... is also very nice idea. Both forum and diary can coexist.

fishguts
09-23-2005, 11:27 AM

Abosolutely, this is the diary. And in my opinion, pretty darn acurate. If someone wanted to start their own diary they can do it through their "home page" that is usually available from their IP.
Remember, you can reproduce everything verbatum that was in the diary but if the fish aren't going to bite, they aren't going to bite.

Diego916
09-23-2005, 11:53 AM
That's a great idea, but I personally don't like to make public my fishing holes. If someone seems like a responsible person (picks up trash, catch and release, obey regs, blah blah blah), I don't mind sharing the info via private message or such.

Zepplock
09-23-2005, 04:45 PM
That's a great idea, but I personally don't like to make public my fishing holes. If someone seems like a responsible person (picks up trash, catch and release, obey regs, blah blah blah), I don't mind sharing the info via private message or such.

Interesting idea. The reports are private but you can keep a list of "trusted" users allowd to see other reports. They can be "handpicked" or the decision can be made on person's popularity.

stagger_lee
09-25-2005, 06:34 AM
I keep a "Fishin' Log" on lakes,bait used ,the catch,time of day,the weather etc etc. and thats about as far as it goes for my personal use. These forums are a great source of information and knowledge and I keep track on details others post on their "Trips" :)

Zepplock
10-11-2005, 05:16 PM
I keep a "Fishin' Log" on lakes,bait used ,the catch,time of day,the weather etc etc. and thats about as far as it goes for my personal use. These forums are a great source of information and knowledge and I keep track on details others post on their "Trips" :)

Why don't you try my online diary?
Here's the example of what other people do: http://fisherdiary.com/?q=node%2f214

Ikan_Mas
10-15-2005, 07:41 AM
Zepplock: Thats one sweet diary. I like it.

I've kept a Excell spread sheet on Los Vaqueros for the last year if anyone is interested. I have 23 days of fishing in the last year. Since I use multiple methods and poles, I've gotten so I can home in on a sucessful technique pretty quickly.

Zepplock
10-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Zepplock: Thats one sweet diary. I like it.

I've kept a Excell spread sheet on Los Vaqueros for the last year if anyone is interested. I have 23 days of fishing in the last year. Since I use multiple methods and poles, I've gotten so I can home in on a sucessful technique pretty quickly.

Do you consider migrating to FisherDiary?

PlugROCKSTAR
10-19-2005, 07:40 AM
WOW, an online diary :-/ i might as well list all the post all the spots i fish at and give detailed directions on how to get there ::)

fishdude76
10-19-2005, 10:39 AM
Hopefully this doesn't take away from the FishSniffer forums. To be honest I'm surprised a moderator hasn't squashed this already.

vito
10-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Here is mine:

January - Steelhead (Upper American River) * * * * * * *
* * * * *Striper *(Mokelumne River - I-5 bridge)

February/March - Trout (Rollins Lake)
* * * * * * * * Trout and Salmon (Folsom Lake)
Trout (Stumpy, various lakes)

March/April - Striper (Verona Area)

May/August - Salmon (Feather River)

July/August - Striper (Upper American River)
* * * * * * *Shark (Bolinas)

August/October - Salmon (Sacramento and American Rivers)

November/June - Crab (Tomales Bay)

This just gives me a general guideline of when to schedule my Vaca days and what to target. I hope to add Sturgeon in there this year. I just figure out what to target then log on to the boards to find the hot bait and depths.

drstressor
10-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Hopefully this doesn't take away from the FishSniffer forums. To be honest I'm surprised a moderator hasn't squashed this already.

If anyone is foolish enough to post that type of specific information on a public web site they probably shouldn't be on the 'sniffer boards anyway. ;) Sounds like phishin' to me. ;D

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I don't want to know exactly where, when, and how anybody else is catching fish. I like to either catch or not catch fish my way, not somebody else's way. The level of info posted on the 'sniffer boards often requires some reading between the lines, but it's usually specific enough to be both informative and fun.

fishdude76
10-20-2005, 08:34 AM
My thought was not the specific info that fishers could potentially give up, but the traffic that comes through here. If people start going to that website instead of here then we would lose some comments and reports. Also I remember someone promoting a guide service I think it was, and people were upset that they weren't a sponsor on the website and still promoting their business. I felt maybe this fell under that same type of category as promoting your business on this website without being a sponsor. Seems to me it could be a competitor to the Sniffer. But maybe i'm just talking out of my backside ;D

SalmonHunter
10-20-2005, 08:44 PM
WOW, an online diary :-/ i might as well list all the post all the spots i fish at and give detailed directions on how to get there ::)

i got my pen and paper 916 ;D (waiting......)