PDA

View Full Version : minnow trap

fenton_chris
10-11-2005, 08:19 PM
never really uses minoows much, but id thought id start trying. so i just bought one. what now? i assume i use it like a crawdad trap. do i put bait in it? is so what kind?

Mr_Ed
10-11-2005, 10:31 PM
I have had my best luck getting minnows into the trap with:
Dry dog food , can of cat food with holes in it, and also old dry bread. I'm not a pro at minnows but this works for me. (At Tahoe go out where the rocks are).
PS Hide or watch your traps; they can get stolen.

fenton_chris
10-12-2005, 01:15 PM
yeah i learned that with my crawdad trap at ice house right in from of my campsite >:( while is was out on the lake

Reno_Reeler
10-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Two day old donuts work well at Tahoe for some reason.**http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/4776/donut7cp.gif**http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/427/winksmile29kz.gif

Mickey_Thomas
10-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Hey RR, that's Hammers trick and it's a secret ::) ;D We trapped at least 40 minnows in about 3 hours in the water with donuts. ;) I laughed at him when he put them in but guess who had the last laugh? That's right, Hammer 8)

fenton_chris
10-12-2005, 04:21 PM
as long as no one pisses me off, i wont be throwing anyaway! :P thanks 4 the input guys. 8)

MB_Kevin
10-12-2005, 07:57 PM
I bet the donuts break up in the water and are like flakes for the fish floating all over.
What is the difference between the minnow trap and the crawdad traps I seen some on Ebay that where minnow traps that looked just like my crawdad trap.

Reno_Reeler
10-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Mickey,

I didn't torture Hammer for the secret.**When I went out on a mackinaw fishing charter boat on Tahoe a couple of years ago, they used the donuts that the clients didn't eat.

M.B.

Larger holes on the ends. Also the crawdad traps usually are longer with a middle section added in.

FishinFool408
10-13-2005, 05:32 AM
Yeah, as many has stated, donuts work well for me. I also had great success with lemon cake...

deltalover
10-13-2005, 06:39 AM
Cant be much difference between a crawdad trap and minnow trap. A minnow trap makes a great crawdad trap. I broke a few anchovies up inside the bait container and had hundreds of crawdads in about 15 min. I also hear you can catch mudsuckers in them too, which I hope to do soon!

tdekens
10-13-2005, 09:04 AM
When I lived in monterey I used to catch mudsuckers in them at moss landing. I would then take them to San Luis or Oneil Forebay and bang them stripers. Wow that was fun.
I use whatever to catch crawdads in mine. When I used to go Crabbin in Washington we preferred Turkey legs. They were cheap and the dabs loved em. I remember they used to sell cat food cans at all the gas stations and stores for shrimp bait. I say use whatever to catch minnows but something that breaks up in the water so they get that chum action goin. I would use the old skeletons from sardines. I have a minnow net but never figured out how to use it? Explosives are probably your best bet. :o JK
I'm for dough balls.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

deltalover
10-13-2005, 09:14 AM
What did you use for bait, for the mudsuckers?
Thanks

tdekens
10-13-2005, 01:54 PM
I dont even remember using bait. But I am sure as they are just bottom feeders so like some canned catfood or some fish heads or a few sardines would do the trick. They were long jawed mudsuckers which are Goby's I believe. the good drstressor might be able to chine in on their favorite menu. but they sell them little bad boys at the lake bait shop for about a buck a piece. I liked to catch my own too. I did alot of research on them and found out where they were at. Another tid bit is that they are used as bait in freshwater because they cant reproduce there but only in brackish waters such as the inlet at Moss Landing.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

deltalover
10-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Ok, now I am confused because I have caught what looks like the same mudsuckers I have bought for 2 dollars apiece, right here in the delta on red worms, some large and some small. I am pretty sure they were born in the delta. Those are the ones I was hoping to lure into my trap.

jeexi
10-13-2005, 09:24 PM
what kind of donuts glazed or cream filled ? ;D ;D. How much do minnow traps go for? If i could catch some mudsucker with the minnow trap that be great. 1-2$ a peice :-/

FishinFool408
10-14-2005, 11:16 AM
I've had success with both glazed and sugar donuts. The traps aren't much at all. I picked mine up for about $9 here in SJ. For the cost of minnows and mudsuckers, it really pays for itself in no time...

jeexi
10-14-2005, 05:13 PM
how long do you usually leave the trap down in the water for? What would be better to lure mudsuckers in ;D donuts or bait fish like sardines or shrimp. thanks JAY

somebody
10-14-2005, 05:48 PM
put a handfull of fresh dog food-dry- in and let it down to the bottom slowly so it stays level. among rocks or under a bridge, about30-35 feet. it should take about ten minutes, no mnnows move it. under bridge however deep it is. irrigation dithes are good also

MB_Kevin
10-14-2005, 09:04 PM
I seen the minnow traps sold on ebay. a six pack was pretty cheep. It looked just like my crawdad trap. I think it was in the ebay store harlyrod.

klymons
10-18-2005, 09:58 PM
8)The last time I used a minnow trap was about two years ago at a local lake. I used some freezer-burned barracuda and caught enough live shad for a days fishing. That was the good news. The bad news was that the live shad didn't catch any fish. I think the stripers were on strike that day. But from what I've heard, just about anything that will produce a scent trail will work.