PDA

View Full Version : dead carp reported all over delta system

RPM
09-28-2005, 05:12 PM
while I was fishing today, I spotted 6 carp floating downriver and noticed 2 more on the bank. This was in mossdale. Sat I spotted 3-4 floaters many miles upstream. Other fisherman around me noticed lots of dead carp too.
Then the city of manteca water guys come boating up to do there samples. They tell me that dfg has lots and lots of reports of dead carp from all over the delta system and No explanation for it.
I tried looking for some info at cadfg page but no luck.
Chime in guys If youve seen dead carp in your area. tight lines rpm

isdaann
09-29-2005, 05:59 AM
I heard there is a bacteria that attacks carp every once in awhile. There was one year at an power plant intake on the delta there were large dumpsters full of carp. We were told by DFG that it was a bacteria. I believe it was an unreported fuel oil leak, the fuel oil sticks to the vegetation in the area and the carp eats it confusing it for decaying vegetation that they normally eat, then the fuel oil gets on their gills, suffocating them to death. You can say that no power plant is burning fuel oil nowadays but there are residual oil leaks in their drainage system from years ago. Do you think the power plants will report that?

catfished
09-29-2005, 09:00 AM
There was a huge carp die off in Clear Lake back in the late 80's or thereabouts. According to the DFG, it was a bacteria that caused it but there was no mention of any fuel spill that I'm aware of. They said it was something that happened to carp once in awhile, maybe nature's way of controlling the population. I remember seeing carp that were still alive but their bodies were rotting just like spawned out salmon in a river.

Diego916
09-29-2005, 12:43 PM
I haven't seen, dead or alive, or even caught a single carp out of the delta this year.

redherring
09-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Come to think of it, I have seen alot of dead carp in the delta as of recent, and some big ones too. I thought it was people catching them and just killing them and throwing them back in the water. There seem to more in specific areas than others, and as I remember those were more shallow areas.....

deltalover
09-29-2005, 05:26 PM
I have been fishing at Mossdale half a dozen times in the last week and I must have seen 20 dead carp in that time. One guy I asked said he thought it was sea lions munching on them ::). By the way, all I caught were shaker stripers!

AllFishNoWork
09-30-2005, 05:24 AM
I remember seeing carp that were still alive but their bodies were rotting just like spawned out salmon in a river.

That had to be a pretty site. :-X

RPM
10-02-2005, 08:31 PM
delta lover That may have been me you were talking to at mossdale.I was fishing off the bank using swimbaits . caught 5 lgmouththat day but they were all in the 1lb range .rpm

Christopherjake
10-03-2005, 10:26 AM
I noticed a lot of dead carps too. Below is one of the dead ones my buddy took a picture with before we threw it back:

http://programgeeks.com/gallery/larry/081005larry/081005larry4.jpg

PlugROCKSTAR
10-03-2005, 08:29 PM
i've seen a few last weekend in Freeport area.

AllFishNoWork
10-04-2005, 02:32 AM
I remember seeing carp that were still alive but their bodies were rotting just like spawned out salmon in a river.

The more I thought about this after I posted the other day day, I realized it reminded me of what Amador trout look like real late in the summer. :-X

catfished
10-04-2005, 12:55 PM
I think I'll pass on trout fishing at Amador late in the summer. :D

Empire
10-05-2005, 08:24 AM
ChristJake: That is a huge carp. I have never been there, but I heard that in England carp are considered a great sportfish. That fish would be a trophy!

Christopherjake
10-05-2005, 08:50 AM
Empire, that thing was 26 lbs. I can only imagine fighting one that size. Oh, man!

catfished
10-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Try a 10 to 15 lb carp using steelhead gear first, then try a really big one. They'll tear you a new one most times.

RPM
10-06-2005, 09:02 AM
sent a message to striper bioligist. He isnt in the know on this one but the one who is has been collecting samples of fish and water. Doing tests on them now. He said hell let us know what he finds out. tight lines rpm

deltalover
10-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Hey RPM, bet it was you. I am sure we will run into each other again. I look forward to hearing what the biolgist has to say. Thanks!

RPM
10-08-2005, 09:05 PM
I have not heard anything yet but it is the weekend. I seen more dead carp even further up the s.j.river by hwy132 just the other day. ??? ???

deltalover
10-10-2005, 05:24 AM
I was at Mossdale yesterday and only seen one dead carp. Actually that was the only fish I seen period!

roaddog
06-25-2010, 12:25 PM
last month i saw a lot of live carp spawining or whatever in sherman lake area. they seemed pretty happy just hangin out in the tules.

Fishoff
06-25-2010, 12:45 PM
I see them all the time when I fish the delta and by walking the shoreline, flipping for bass on rocky points with crank baits. This one I saw was gigantic, body all dried up and stomach filled up with eggs. It looks like a fish that got bloated for not being able to spawn. Location = Port of Stockton

Dead fish makes good scavenger for vultures and condors with red head and black body.

What makes carp wants to jump out of the water during changing tides, that I do not yet understand.