PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Calaveras reservoir???

jcg
09-20-2005, 09:13 AM
There was a bill (AB 672) to allow non powered fishing access (and hiking) to a number of Northern CA reservoirs that looks like it just passed (see link below).

Has anyone fished Calaveras reservoir yet? Any ideas what kinds of fish are in the reservoir?

jcg

http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/Bills/AB_672

ken_fishnfool
09-20-2005, 10:39 AM
I have only hearsay from some friends who have snuck in there...They say big trout,bass,crappie,bluegills and cats.

When can we go???? ;D

jcg
09-20-2005, 10:46 AM
So is it legal to go there now? I didn't read the whole text of the bill, but it looks like it just passed. So the reservoirs may have some time to come up with a plan, etc. Just wondering if maybe someone that lives down in San Jose or Fremont (which is close to the reservoir) may have seen something in the San Jose Mercury?

I'm up for a trip down there if it's actually open.

jcg

polybass
09-20-2005, 03:17 PM
so could we fish in there
if we can
hehehe

tightlines

Zepplock
09-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Looks like a nice place!

fishnhockey
09-20-2005, 06:15 PM
My grandparents live above the reservoir, full view of it, and I can say that there used to be (don't know about now) some HUGE fish in there and they could be caught from shore! Can't wait to see if and when it opens up!

fisheone
09-21-2005, 09:25 PM
Back in the 80's had friends that used to sneak in there and fish at night. They had stories of lots of big cats and hogs in the brush. Some friends and I fished there in broad daylight and we caught an assortment of fish all were big. Trout, bass, bluegill and a fish that looked like a cross between a crappie and a striped bass. As I was reeling in that fish I looked over and there was my brother and two friends with their hands on their heads and a ranger standing over them. I was about to split when another ranger with an ax handle told me to hold it. They both had ax handles. The ranger that was standing over me said the fish I caught was a Sacramento Perch. I don't know what it was but it didn't fight coming in. They made us clean up the area and they used the ax handles to kinda of sweep the ground in front of them for rattle snakes. They said we were lucky we weren't bit. They took our fish and wrote us up for fishing without licenses. They said it was legal to fish there but you just couldn't trespass ove the property. We asked how'd they know we were fishing there? They asked if we remembered seeing that airplane that kept dipping its wings at us? We remembered. This airplane was just kinda hanging there and it kept dipping its wings. They said they were trying to get our attention.

Fished there again in later years with my brother. Had a friend drop us off there in the middle of the night. He was supposed to pick us up the next morning. Anyway my brother was paranoid all night and he kept hearing things and seeing lights. So, we spent most of the night hiding up in the bush. I think he was crank or something. Anyways, he was hiding in poison oak. I believe he missed something like two weeks of work because he was full of poison oak. Anyway, in the morning our friends showed up to pick us up and he was drunk and kept saying he chased a bull all the way down the road. We kept asking "a bull" and he would say "a bull". He said you know the ones with and he makes a gesture like tusks. We said "oh you mean a boar!" He said yeah "a boar." So, we left and sure enough as we were leaving there was this big pig standing there sweating like a pig. So, once again we're chasing this pig down the road and he's running right down the middle. Finally he pulls over and is just standing there sweating. So, I get out and I think I'm going to go catch him by his hind legs but he turns and looks at me and I think not. He then just slid down the side of the road. Anyway, the place is crawling with wild pigs.

kstone44
09-21-2005, 10:11 PM
I may be mistake but in reading the bill it states that a plan must be in place by 2010 and updated every 10 years there after , There are alot of provisions of cource. What I would like to see is a list of waters that are to be opened up for our usage. The bad part is that they will have almost 5 years to come up with reasons why these waters fall under a particular clause in the Bill.
I to would drool over fishing Calaveras and hidden lakes again, yes I was one of those law breakers who used to sneak in there when I was in High School and invincible. Yes the storys are true great fishing. They should keep it all catch and release as they could wipe out the fish population very quickly.

jcg
09-24-2005, 08:38 AM
So does anyone know who you would call to find out if you can fish the reservoir now or when it will be allowed? I live in Alameda county, but the reservoir is in Santa Clara county I believe. So if someone has some leads I'll make the calls and post back here.

jcg

Reel_burner
09-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Calaveras and San Antonio reservoirs are owned and operated by the City and County of San Francisco (ie. Hetch Hetchy).

pisces2
09-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Unbelivable...
This place is like my fantasy island. I also used to fish here in the 80s. I was actually in my 7th grade when we got busted by the rangers(they confiscated everything we had and we got cited). There were signs saying no trespassing but we never thought for a moment that it was that serious and that someone would actually come after us in this huge place(look out for those planes). My friend and I would hike from sandywool lake after our parents would drop us off on those spring days (trout season). My best fish out of here was a 5.5lb kokanee trout. I was using a ultralite trout pole and reel. I saw the bottom of the reel that day as this fish almost ripped all the line off (few more turns of the spool). It was shock on top of a shock. My friend and I were just speechless. This is one of my best fishing memory I will ever have due to such an unexpected thrill from such an awesome and deserted fishing paradise.
We caught lots of bass on a cleo on previous trips. Throughout the years I saw this body drained of water to such low levels but I am not sure if it was ever fully drained. It would be real sad if it was because I know there were some monster fish out there.
It would be my childhood dream to fish this place again.
I no longer live in san jose but I will definitely drive out there. :)

Fisheone - I wonder if your brother was hearing me and my friend. We heard and saw thing there too (at night).;D ;D

pisces2

Collegebound
09-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Unbelivable...
This place is like my fantasy island. *I also used to fish here in the 80s. I was actually in my 7th grade when we got busted by the rangers(they confiscated everything we had and we got cited). There were signs saying no trespassing but we never thought for a moment that it was that serious and that someone would actually come after us in this huge place(look out for those planes). *My friend and I would hike from sandywool lake after our parents would drop us off on those spring days (trout season). *My best fish out of here was a 5.5lb kokanee trout. I was using a ultralite trout pole and reel. I saw the bottom of the reel that day as this fish almost ripped all the line off (few more turns of the spool). It was shock on top of a shock. My friend and I were just speechless. *This is one of my best fishing memory I will ever have due to such an unexpected thrill from such an awesome and deserted fishing paradise. *
We caught lots of bass on a cleo on previous trips. *Throughout the years I saw this body drained of water to such low levels but I am not sure if it was ever fully drained. *It would be real sad if it was because I know there were some monster fish out there.
It would be my childhood dream to fish this place again.
I no longer live in san jose but I will definitely drive out there. *:)

Fisheone - I wonder if your brother was hearing me and my friend. We heard and saw thing there too (at night).;D ;D

pisces2

Kokanee trout? kokanee are salmon, but i'll let it slide ;D
Mike

jcg
09-28-2005, 06:37 AM
So I talked to someone at the SF Public Utilities Commission who oversees Calaveras reservior and found out some info. Turns out like someone said the bill only requires that the agencies look into a plan, but don't have to allow fishing (or hiking).

It also turns our Calaveras reservoir is an unfiltered reservoir meaning the water goes direct from there to the consumer. Therefore the agency is very concerning with allowing any access due to pollution, etc. This is probablly why the lake is patrolled by air (as per some of the other posts).

It looks like at this point they will allow some access, but nothing is likely until next year. It also looks like it will be on a limited basis. They are thinking that they might allow fishing on only a few days per year, and they will have lots of people patrolling the area to make sure no one litters, etc on those days. I'll check back next spring with the agency and post any updates.

jcg

Calaveras and San Antonio reservoirs are owned and operated by the City and County of San Francisco (ie. Hetch Hetchy).

jdogg
09-28-2005, 10:00 AM
been waiting 29 years to fish that. lived in Milpitas my whole life. My great-great grandparents were some of the first settlers in Milpitas. Got two schools named after my grandfathers(Rose and Spangler schools)my mom even wants to fish it. I can't wait 'til it opens!

fishnhockey
09-28-2005, 05:22 PM
As to the water levels... It's gotten low, but never empty, grandparents sit on top of the hill overlooking it. When it gets good and low there is plane wreckage that you can see.
So, being that it's never emptied I'm sure there are some monsters.

pisces2
09-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Ok let me put it this way. It was a silvery trout more like a steelhead (long). It had redish pink meat. I have never caught a kokanee before or after and don't even know their characteristics. I have seen stealheads but I don't know if their meat is pink or what. It would sound foolish to say that it was a steelhead but to me that's what it looked like (knowing what I know now). However my friend's uncle swore that it was a kokanee. He is a trout fanatic.
Can any experts out there explain if steelheads can live in reservoirs and lakes if they got land locked, like kokanee salmon?
Ever since this experience, my friend and I learned the true meaning of the saying "pictures are worth a thousand words".
When I finally got a camera and was able to take pictures, years have gone by and only pictures that I could take was the no trespassing sign and some distant shots of the reservoir.

Regarding the plane, is this the one where the pilot/plane was missing for years and this receded water solved the missing mystery?

It's really exciting to hear people talk about this place. :)
Can someone teach me how to post pictures? I have some old pictures that I would like to share.

Thanks,
P

fishnhockey
09-29-2005, 06:43 AM
That would be the plane, it's still stuck in the muck. There's rumor that there is another one in the middle of the reservoir, but it's never gotten that low, and to my knowledge they've never taken sonar out there to see. We used to see the patrol plane fly over all the time, sneaky!

Crows_Fishing
10-02-2005, 11:13 AM
where is calaveras reservoir located? I'm in the east bay........

fishnhockey
10-02-2005, 01:14 PM
it's in the milpitas foothills

Mr.Pescador
10-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Calaveras Rd. runs from hwy.680 in Milpitas to 680 in Sunol. The resevoir is about half way in between.

climb_n_fish
10-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Calaveras reservior looks like a cool place. I've spied it on a number of occasion when hiking in the Sunol Park / Wilderness area.

. . . *So, we left and sure enough as we were leaving there was this big pig standing there sweating like a pig. *So, once again we're chasing this pig down the road and he's running right down the middle. *Finally he pulls over and is just standing there sweating. *So, I get out and I think I'm going to go catch him by his hind legs but he turns and looks at me and I think not. *He then just slid down the side of the road. *Anyway, the place is crawling with wild pigs.

FWIW, pigs don't sweat. That is the reason they wallow in mud, to cool off.

fisheone
10-05-2005, 09:39 PM
climb_n_fish,

No it was dripping sweat. They may like wallowing in mud to cool off but like I said this pig was chased up the road a ways by our friend then ran out in front of us for a long ways also, right down the middle of the road. Believe me it was "sweating like a pig."

F33rNoFish
11-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Brining back from the dead, but I think more people, like me, would love to know what the status is of allowing fishing at Calaveras Reservoir.

It's similar to that of Quarry Lakes in Fremont. I recall my younger uncles would sneak in there back in the day and come out with monster bass! When it opened up in '97 it was awesome!

There's still some good fish in there but just harder to find.

It would be awesome to fish Calaveras!

Anyone have info pls post or PM!

fnf

GUSANO
12-03-2013, 04:07 PM
I looked this bill up, I too was curious to whatever happened about this bill. AB 672 looks like it was vetoed by Arnie back in 05-06. If so, all the lakes on the list are still off limits. Crystal Springs, Calaveras, Upper San Leandro Res (35 lakes total) were all on that list. The reason for the vetoe was that most were Terrorism/drinking supplies. Looks like we still have to keep on dreaming... Only way to fish it would be to get the permission from the property managers. Upper San Leandro has a floating live-in cabin on the south end specifically for the ranger that patrols it. You think he doesn't fish it and enjoys fresh caught trout for breakfast? OFF HIS BACK PORCH!
~
Arnie's Vetoe Reasoning: BILL NUMBER AB 672 VETOED DATE 10 07 2005 To the Members of the California State Assembly I am returning Assembly Bill 672 without my signature. As California continues to grow it is every government agencys (http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/#) responsibility to provide additional recreational opportunities (http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/#) where appropriate. Increased recreation improves health and fitness, instills an appreciation of our states natural resources, and can provide excellent opportunities for families to spend more time together. Assembly Bill 672 creates new state policy concerning drinking water reservoirs (http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/#) for activities such as shoreline fishing and nonmotorized boats (http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/#) and attempts to encourage additional recreation activities (http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/#) around drinking water reservoirs by requiring the managing agency to develop recreation plans. I agree with the intent of this measure. However, this bill could potentially allow access to reservoirs that contain treated drinking water or are considered vulnerable to significant security risk. As a result, the legislation could place public drinking water from these reservoirs at an unacceptable risk from waterborne disease transmission or potential acts of terrorism. For these reasons I cannot support this bill. Sincerely Arnold Schwarzenegger

F33rNoFish
12-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Would love to hit it up before or after work!

Just down the road and would give traffic time to slow down.

Oh well...sandy wool it is for now.

fnf

FresnoJack
12-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Here is a link to the DFG site.

It appears that fishing is permitted in the reservoir. One needs a District Fishing Access Permit issued by East Bay Regional Park District.

"A Fishing Access Permit is required at the following District waters: Lake Chabot, Contra Loma, Del Valle, Don Castro, Shadow Cliffs, Temescal, Horseshow and Rainbow Lakes (Quarry Lakes Regional Park). A single permit is good at all of these waters. Fishing Access Permits are available at the individual park headquarters and/or concession stands."

The article also lists the waters where private boats are permitted.

Go Fish! Places to fish in Alameda, Contra Costa and Santa Clara counties (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishinginthecity/sf/gofish-southeast.html)

So is it legal to go there now? I didn't read the whole text of the bill, but it looks like it just passed. So the reservoirs may have some time to come up with a plan, etc. Just wondering if maybe someone that lives down in San Jose or Fremont (which is close to the reservoir) may have seen something in the San Jose Mercury?

I'm up for a trip down there if it's actually open.

jcg

F33rNoFish
12-05-2013, 06:35 PM
AWESOME FIND. Will read up ASAP.

Thx!

GUSANO
12-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Nice find, but it still looks as is if Calaveras and San antonio are still off limits. Look at both those lakes info from the link and you will read "is closed to the public". I too want to fish these bad! Like a mad itch on your back you just can't reach! I went to the SFPUC site and looked up "Calaveras Reservoir fishing". Here's what I found from their recreation planning. Unfortunately, fishing is a NO at this time... but the wording says maybe later for non native species, meaning no trout fishing if they ever do allow fishing. A slight chance for some trophy bass though!
~

From Jan 2010, the most recent documents I could find on fishing these lakes:

2.3.7 Recreation
The recreational activities that currently take place or may take place over thecourse of the permit term are described below.
Recreation on Land Owned and Managed by SFPUC
Description: Public access on SFPUC lands in the Alameda watershed is limitedto lands leased to EBRPD and on public roads such as Calaveras Boulevard andNiles Canyon Road. Access to internal roads by non-SFPUC personnel isrestricted to contractors and members of the public who wish to engage ineducational and scientific activities. All access is regulated by an access permitsystem through SFPUCs Natural Resources Division.If SFPUC were to consider opening existing access roads, fire roads, and trails tosome form of public use in the future, allowable uses may include hiking, biking,and equestrian use. Current roads are both dirt and paved (see Sections 2.3.1 and2.3.2 for more information on roads). Overnight camping or off-road use ofmotorized vehicles would not be allowed. Fishing is not currently permittedunder the watershed plan; however, it is possible that fishing for nonnativespecies may be allowed in the future. Any public use would be strictly controlledby a use permit system or through guided tours similar to those used by SFPUCfor the Fifield-Cahill Ridge Trail on the Peninsula Watershed in San MateoCounty. New trailhead areas would need to be constructed at certain trailheads,along with restroom facilities and signage or informational kiosks.

F33rNoFish
12-06-2013, 09:16 AM
And bummed again...

cs3
12-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Ok let me put it this way. It was a silvery trout more like a steelhead (long). It had redish pink meat. I have never caught a kokanee before or after and don't even know their characteristics. I have seen stealheads but I don't know if their meat is pink or what. It would sound foolish to say that it was a steelhead but to me that's what it looked like (knowing what I know now). However my friend's uncle swore that it was a kokanee. He is a trout fanatic.
Can any experts out there explain if steelheads can live in reservoirs and lakes if they got land locked, like kokanee salmon?
P
Wow, cant believe this thread is still going 8 years later!

To answer the steelhead question, yes, the rainbows in Calaveras are steelhead. They were trapped in the reservoir when the creek was dammed in 1925.

About 12 years ago (I forget the exact year) my dad and I volunteered to help a DFG biologist who was doing a study of the steelhead population in Alameda Creek watershed, including Claveras Reservoir. This was in March during spring break. We accessed the area surrounding the lake via several dirt roads off of Calaveras Rd that were closed off behind locked gates.

Fish traps had been set on Hondo Arroyo and a few other tiny tributaries. We assisted the biologist in collecting, counting, measuring, and releasing the contents of several traps. Most of the traps had only juvenile trout, frogs, and various minnows, but one of them had 3 adult steelhead ranging in size from ~16" to 24". The biologist girl said that they were likely already spawned out and were heading downstream back into the lake. She told us that earlier in the year they had trapped many more steelhead and some of the fish were much larger.

I really wish I had taken pictures and followed up on getting the results of the study. Unfortunately digital cameras and cell phones were still just a novelty back then and I was just a dumb college student at the time who only cared about getting a closer look at places I could sneak into and fish - not listening to what some biologist had to say about the health of the fishery.

FWIW the north side of the lake (where the dam is at) is only about a 2 mile hike from Little Yosemite in Sunol regional park. Its posted no trespassing, but you could get to it if you were so inclined. I think someone still works at the guard house near the damn though.

F33rNoFish
07-07-2014, 10:42 AM
check this out:
Fossil treasure trove unearthed at Silicon Valley dam construction site | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/07/07/fossil-treasure-trove-unearthed-at-silicon-valley-dam-construction-site/?intcmp=latestnews)

FishnBeer
07-07-2014, 05:00 PM
is it open to the public yet? i pass by there once a week or so heading home on my motorcycle. would love to stop there and fish, if it is allowed

F33rNoFish
07-07-2014, 06:43 PM
I don't believe so. Just keeping tabs on the progress and activity in hopes that ONE day I'll be able to legally fish it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sollimes
07-08-2014, 06:16 AM
Wanted to fish that lake since I was a kid. Hopefully soon!

fool4fish
07-08-2014, 02:32 PM
"Fisheone - I wonder if your brother was hearing me and my friend. We heard and saw thing there too (at night).;D ;D"

pisces2

I was not cranked up! I saw lights on the lake like maybe the rangers patrolling on small boat.
I also saw a large jet aircraft hover over the lake and flew right above my brother and i as we were hiding in a tree! It was nearly quiet, very spooky!
Like some of the posts indicate, the fishing is fantastic in Calaveras. The main reason why we even went to this lake in broad daylight was because a friend of ours who lived in Milpitas, told us he caught a huge trout and had to cut it in half to fit in his fridge. We did not believe him until he showed us the trout. It was huge and he did cut it in half to fit in his fridge! No lie!
After he showed us, we went back to S'vale and grabbed our equipment and went straight to the lake and started fishing in mid-day. Worried about the rangers but our friend said that he caught his fish during the day without any problem. As my brother indicated in his post, we got caught and all our equipment confiscated and we were all cited.

And i did go there another time with my brother-in-law during the middle of the night. It was a long hike to the lakes edge. As soon as we started casting out Rapala's, we were nailing the bass, but could not see what we were doing. Fished for about 30 min when we started hearing the Boar in the bushes behind us! We actually jumped in the lake cause it was right behind us. We ended up getting the heck out of there. Just to risky.

This lake is loaded with Bass and trout (Steelhead). Fisherman's dream to fish this lake. It would be like taking a trip to an exclusive pay to fish bass lake in Mexico and fishing for all the big bass you can catch! I would definitely pay to fish this lake or bid for a permit to fish there. Heck i would do just about anything (legal) to fish there.
I wonder what it costs to get cited there now with all the NSA bs going on? Just curious....http://fishsniffervb.thefishsniffer.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon6.png

Jfitalia
07-08-2014, 02:48 PM
"Fisheone - I wonder if your brother was hearing me and my friend. We heard and saw thing there too (at night).;D ;D"

pisces2

I was not cranked up! I saw lights on the lake like maybe the rangers patrolling on small boat.
I also saw a large jet aircraft hover over the lake and flew right above my brother and i as we were hiding in a tree! It was nearly quiet, very spooky!
Like some of the posts indicate, the fishing is fantastic in Calaveras. The main reason why we even went to this lake in broad daylight was because a friend of ours who lived in Milpitas, told us he caught a huge trout and had to cut it in half to fit in his fridge. We did not believe him until he showed us the trout. It was huge and he did cut it in half to fit in his fridge! No lie!
After he showed us, we went back to S'vale and grabbed our equipment and went straight to the lake and started fishing in mid-day. Worried about the rangers but our friend said that he caught his fish during the day without any problem. As my brother indicated in his post, we got caught and all our equipment confiscated and we were all cited.

And i did go there another time with my brother-in-law during the middle of the night. It was a long hike to the lakes edge. As soon as we started casting out Rapala's, we were nailing the bass, but could not see what we were doing. Fished for about 30 min when we started hearing the Boar in the bushes behind us! We actually jumped in the lake cause it was right behind us. We ended up getting the heck out of there. Just to risky.

This lake is loaded with Bass and trout (Steelhead). Fisherman's dream to fish this lake. It would be like taking a trip to an exclusive pay to fish bass lake in Mexico and fishing for all the big bass you can catch! I would definitely pay to fish this lake or bid for a permit to fish there. Heck i would do just about anything (legal) to fish there.
I wonder what it costs to get cited there now with all the NSA bs going on? Just curious....http://fishsniffervb.thefishsniffer.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon6.png
So wait you were caught trespassing and you went back again? They should have thrown you in jail after the first time.

fool4fish
07-08-2014, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=Jfitalia;1023604]So wait you were caught trespassing and you went back again? They should have thrown you in jail after the first time.[/QUOTE

That should attest to how great the fishing was there! Besides this was in the late 70's and i was still a very young man. The fine back then was $35. Wonder what it is now....

F33rNoFish
07-08-2014, 03:09 PM
My lil bro got cited for one too many rods before he was 18. His buddy had left one rod there and went scouting for another place to fish. When the rangers cited him they told him it would be about $100. Yeah right...$365!!!

Luckily, he had good grades and the judge let him off.

So I'm assuming a poaching/trespassing ticket would be at least double.

fool4fish
07-08-2014, 03:14 PM
f33, how long ago was that?

F33rNoFish
07-08-2014, 03:15 PM
f33, how long ago was that?

Like 5 yrs ago