PDA

View Full Version : Grayling in Calif ?

Mr_Ed
09-23-2005, 07:15 AM
I have this thing about getting a hook into a Grayling.I know you can go all the way and get to Alaska and get tons of them. However the F&G said there are Graylings in Jackson Meadows Lake up north of Truckee. I have been trying for two years to get a hookup; with no luck yet.
Has anyone hooked into a Grayling in Calif ? Thanks for any info.....Ed

khiameru
09-23-2005, 08:45 AM
There was a thread on these boards about Grayling a few weeks back. If you do a search on Grayling you will probaby find it I would be sure to check trout and general freshwater Boards

The_Big_Sinus
09-23-2005, 03:52 PM
As far as I know, there was a very limited Grayling stocking program in the '70's, which did keep a small, but fishable population in Lobdell Lake (and maybe a few others) for some time. However, that program was ended some time ago, and except for a few isolated population VERY far North, Grayling tend to be short-lived and I'm sure that the population in Lobdell is gone. Grayling in CA might as well be an Urban Legend, at this point. Believe me, if you catch one, you will know what it is, they look like this...

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=505/4559Grayling-Buck-20in_AniakR-middle_8-04-med.jpg

Even on the females, the dorsal fin is enormous. The scales are also larger than any trout or char. Final proof, should you still be confused as to what's in your hand, is that they have no teeth.

Mr_Ed
09-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Big Sinus; Those are great pictures of grayling.Maybe one of these days I can get so lucky. Alaska & the Seattle area r the only area's I know of. Sorry to hear the calif fish are a thing of the past.... Thanks....Ed

Pimpinmeat
09-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Grayling existed in California,Idaho,Washington,and Montana. As far as I know the only state in the lower 48 that still has a population of grayling is Montana. I was there in the spring and I caught one near Bozeman, in a lake called Hyalite Lake. It suprised the crap out of me and when I inquired about it I was told the state record came from that lake. Mine was only about 12in and in my excitment I forgot to get a pick but I had a witness. It was a cool catch.