PDA

View Full Version : Does wind effect fishing?

new2fishing
09-24-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm new to fishing. Does wind effect the fishes bite? Bass, Salmon, or striper?

ken_fishnfool
09-24-2005, 12:29 PM
It mostly affects the fishermans ability to fish the way he wants. Casting, presentation, drift speed, etc.
Some fish prefer a little choppy surface as opposed to still water.
Wind does make the baitfish move around, stirs things up.

Empire
09-25-2005, 06:35 AM
I have found a noticeably improved bite when the water's surface is chopped up, especially during the winter.

My theory is that birds cannot see well into choppy water, and the fish know it. They can cruise the surface looking for some tasty morsel.

Reno_Reeler
09-25-2005, 08:41 AM
With wind, it is more difficult to feel what's going on at the business end of your line. Detecting subtle takes is next to impossible.

Of course if you are trolling, this is not an issue. The wind will force you to make more trolling corrections and demands much more boat driving attention for a safe outing.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5381/manfishinglgwht5bd.gif

Silver_Streak
09-26-2005, 09:02 AM
I've found that on windy days the bite can be better, especially during low light. The obviuous drawback is keeping your boat in control like some of the other members have already stated. In my opinion, one possible reason for improved fishing in the wind has to do with light reflection/penetration into the water. I'll explain why I think this to be true. During calm days in the morning and late afternoon, sunlight reflects off the water more (less light penetration and harder for lure to show up). During midday, more light, lure shows up more. When you have windy days, the chop on the water catches the light rays and creates flashes of light downward. Time of day becomes not as important with wind because light is constantly breaking through the waters surface and not being reflected back up towards the sky as much. Basically, the flashes of light that your lure picks up becomes even more lifelike to the fish. Now if your fishing really murky water, you probably won't notice much difference at all. Also, lure color is very important because certain colors will show up better at certain depths. This is sometimes refered to as the light spectrum. Try these colors in this order from shallow water to deep water: red to 14ft., orange to 45ft., yellow to 90ft., green to 110ft., blue to 180ft. I have been using some of these tech.s with some sucess. If you do a little research on light spectrum fishing, you can find some articles on this subject. Thats how I found out about this very topic. Also, I know that there have been some discussions on this topic in the forums. Hope this helps a little! ;)

Mr_Ed
09-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Wind does not effect Salmon or Strippers much since they are ocean deep or in river currents near the bottom 90% of the time. Empire said water chop is good;I agree. The fish can't see the boat or shore fisherman as easy. HOWEVER: wind will have a great effect on Bass fishing c/o Lakes or Res. Wind pushes food to shore, changes water temp, turns up silt etc in shallow water. It also makes most bass feel safer and go looking for "dinner". The drawback: harder to cast & feel what up! Tight lines...Ed

fish4fun
09-28-2005, 09:25 PM
I've seen wind work both ways with black bass. Quite often the cold wind that precedes a storm front turns on the bite. Other times a very strong wind will whip up some big waves that blow the bass out of the shallow weed structure. When they move out of their shallow structure, they usually move down to a little deeper water and and stay there til it blows over. At that time they often have a pretty good case of lockjaw.. Larry