PDA

View Full Version : First Time Fishing Shasta Lake

lunkers_anonymous
09-06-2005, 12:49 PM
I was hoping to get some general guidance and suggestions for fishing Shasta Lake.

I'm going to be there this coming weekend, and I'm probably just going to be carrying one spinner reel and rod with me. I'll be fishing off of a houseboat and maybe doing some shore fishing.

I'd like to know what to bring to be as multi-purpose as I can be. I usually stream fish for trout so I'm not sure how to rig my line for lake fishing, especially because I want to be able to go for trout, salmon, and bass (is there anything else I can expect to find out there?). It's going to be a recreational trip with some fishing on the side, but any tips will help.

I especially would like to know what kind of lures/rigs y'all suggest, and what lb. test I should string on because I don't want to have to restring-- I usually use 4 lb. for streams but I think that would be too light for Shasta Lake, right?

ratss427
09-06-2005, 05:16 PM
do you have any idea where you guys are heading to on the lake?with your set up,bank casting will be best.bring a couple 1/4 oz gold kastmasters.a panther martin or two.maybe some live minnows under a slip bobber?always good for bass and trout.and some crappie jigs 1/8 oz.lots of small bass which can be fun to c&r.

lunkers_anonymous
09-06-2005, 07:09 PM
We'll be leaving out of Shasta Marina, so I'll be able to hit some of the Sacramento River Arm. Sounds like bass and trout are usually pretty deep after mid-morning, so I think I'll be fishing early and at night if I can.

Budman
09-06-2005, 08:15 PM
Lunkers, this time of year, Trout and Salmon are usually found 40 to 80 feet down by trollers. Perhaps even deeper for the larger guys. If I knew I was going to be fishing off the back of a houseboat, I might consider parking in an area that has a steep shoreline (watch your sonar). You might then try a sliding sinker rig with a three foot leader and a #6 hook. A traditional bankers set up is a couple of red Paulske(sp?) salmon eggs between a couple of cocktail marshmallows. The marshmallows give a bit of color contrast and bring the eggs off the bottom. On another rod, you can substitute the eggs for nightcrawlers or shad minnows. You could keep some PowerBait on hand to substitute for the marsmallows.

Perhaps a Bass guy will give you some more information.

If you were drifting the same bait, you could substitute the sliding sinker with a few splitshot. The open water near the dam might be good for this--KEEP BACK 1000 FEET!

Re your line weight, many of us use 6# for leaders.

A nonfishing side bar for recreation: Consider Dry Fork parking on the South side (Port side going in). A few feet above the water line is a good walking/bike trail that spans all the way back to the dam.

You picked a great time. The weather is cooling and we might even get some showers next Sunday...

CORN
09-07-2005, 08:26 PM
When houseboating this time of the year, I've always done well catching catfish from the back of the houseboat at night. If you want to target catfish, pick a very shallow cove to park overnight. Cast out anything stinky and put a bell on. If you're a light sleeper, try sleeping near the pole because that bell might go off several times.

The water will be a little warm, so targeting bass may be a little tough. You may have to navigate the houseboat around and fish the primary points, working shallow to deep. Dropshot 3.5-4.5 inch Roboworms. Early morning, try topwater and crankbaits. good luck.

ratss427
09-11-2005, 03:49 PM
hey corn,very good advice.my problem is that by the nighttime,i am usually too drunk to hear the bell!or too warm in my bag to get up and stop the ringing. ;Dbut seriously,we have taken some real nice cats to 12 lbs doing exactly what corn said. ;)

CORN
09-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks ratss. I usually leave it to you and Budman to give the trout advice on that lake ... definitely not my area.

ratss427
09-13-2005, 06:08 PM
by no means do i think i can offer as much info about shasta as budman.he fishes it more than i do.and boy am i jealous. ;) ;D. looking forward to my houseboat trip in late oct.hopefully i can get up there before then.shasta is a special place for me.learned how to cast at that lake when i was 4.that was 30-something :P years ago.and its still my favorite lake. :)

lunkers_anonymous
09-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks all for the tips. I had a great time out there. Didn't catch anything, but then again it's hard to have enough quality time for fishing when you're trying to sqeeze in time to drink, BBQ, sit in the hot-tub, swim, etc. I'll get 'em next time!