PDA

View Full Version : Night Fishing

FishMischief
09-07-2005, 04:09 PM
I am curious about night fishing. Besides Catfish what species are legal?

I have seen some homemade underwater lights. What species are these good for and what techniques would be used with them?

Where can one fish from a boat at night? What safety issue exist?

Wolf74
09-07-2005, 04:12 PM
You can fish for panfish at night. Thats what alot of those underwater lights are made for. Usualy to hang them off a boat or a dock and throw jigs to catch them. I've also head of guys using them in Amador to fish for trout in the summer. I think you can fish for anything as long as the body of water allows you to fish at night. I'm not too sure on that though. I think the same goes with using a boat at night, as long as the lake/river allows boats out there at night, your good. I've seen them on Amador at night all the time and on the Sac too.

bpfishnon
09-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Some of the best fishing occurs at night. right now a good time to hit the delta at night because the beer drinkers have hit the road and the ones that are left are fishing hard!!!!

wading2fish
09-07-2005, 06:55 PM
When I think night fishing I usually think cats, but you can also catch stripers at night. Stripers don't like lights so if you want stripers limit the amount of light you use. Lights work for panfish at night next to a pier, dock, or on a boat.

w2f

MB_Kevin
09-07-2005, 08:16 PM
I use a floating light at night for crappie. you can do this at lake berryessa, black butte and I'm sure many other lakes. It is fun and adds to the cat fishing. ;)
I also hear it works at new melons for trout.

kstone44
09-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Night is when I do most of my Bass fishing and as for the lights they work well for Trout as well as panfish. The best lake for me bass at night are: Amador,DonPedro, MClure and the delta. For trout without a doubt its New Melones the trout there are so fat and full of fight. The Crappie fishing can be great up in Morgan creek arm of the lake tied up in the trees fishing with minnows.Amador them Commache would be my next choices for trout with cats being the second choice at these lakes.

YakMotor
09-08-2005, 05:04 PM
A friend told me about his son's recent success night fishing for trout at New Melones so I searched out this excellent report:

http://www.gloryholesports.com/latest_fishing_report.htm

I had a 19' I/O setup for comfortable night fishing and found it a great time to be on the water. Catfishing Berryessa was AWESOME the night frisky five pounders dragged my lighted bobber down fifteen feet and treated me to a aquatic light show as I fought to land them.

You need to be able to safely navagate and have good lights for spotting the shoreline and shallow hazards. A GPS and bow mounted spotlights helped me travel (slowly) to my favorite spot on Spaulding after launching on an uncrowded ramp at 10pm.

Now that the kayak is my "yacht" I've found a headlamp is a big help when daylight fades. I made a yellow filter for it to discourage flying pests with magnetic attraction to white light. I found out at Stony Gorge being on the water after dark with bass boaters powering back to the ramp can be real scary. I bought a pair of green and red flashing LED lights that bicyclist's use. I want to be visible next time that situation occurs. I also carry a small compressed air horn for emergency alert. My cell phone is handy if the lake has coverage from my provider.

If I take the kayak to New Melones for night fishing I'll scout first in daylight and talk to folks that know the area. Wind is usually calm on summer nights, but being aware of weather is another safety consideration.

Since Amador is close I think I'll try it first. I'm not much on bass but it will give me a chance to get out at night on smaller water and get used to handling a lap full of gear. Hummm, just called Amador and after considering gas and adding up the fees ... $9 auto, $8 fishing, and $2 for kayak launch I think I'll stick to local pond for practice!

bpfishnon
09-09-2005, 07:02 AM
Amador was such a fun place to fish when I was a kid. We would beat the summer heat and go up there for night fishing. Back in the good old days it was $5 for the launch and that was it. Wonder if you can test positive for steroids if you at those fish out of there today. For those prices it is almost as much as a cycle....HAHAHA

Eric_csus14
09-11-2005, 08:28 PM
wading2fish I find your striper comment interesting. I was always told that under bridges with lights was GOOD for Striper fishing as they come up to feed on the minnows. Am i mistaken? Come to think of it i never have caught one around lights so I could be totaly off.

wading2fish
09-12-2005, 02:01 AM
wading2fish I find your striper comment interesting. *I was always told that under bridges with lights was GOOD for Striper fishing as they come up to feed on the minnows. *Am i mistaken? *Come to think of it i never have caught one around lights so I could be totaly off.

I read that somewhere. I also have never caught a striper near lights so I always beleived it. But fishing being the unpredictable sport it is, I'm sure someone somewhere has probably caught a striper near lights.

w2f

SuperDave
09-12-2005, 10:24 AM
;)*I also hear it works at new melons for trout.

Freudian slip MB?

fishrman4life
09-12-2005, 10:56 PM
night fishing has been very worth while at Amador the past few times we've gone. Bass are to be had every where on points and in coves. The panfish bite is awesome too. Trout at night are abundant and willing biters. 19 lb catfish by a few people there. 6-9 lbers common.

kstone44
09-12-2005, 11:02 PM
In about another month or two I'll be fishing inside discovery bay at night for stripers., I target all the docks that have lights over the water on them. I throw 3/4oz rattle traps and large broken back rebels past the lights and bring them throw the lightsgow on the water. If that fails drift live blue gill. Toss the up to the lighted docks as well. Hold ON! :o

And as for Amador at night its been like old times out there. I'll be making one last trip in the float tube next sunday night . No double digits this year but plenty in the 4 to 8lb range.