PDA

View Full Version : Where to catch crawdads

pikashy
08-28-2005, 05:40 PM
I live near San Jose/Cupertino California area and I was wondering where would be the best place to catch small crawdads (2-3 inches) for bass fishing. I heard Stevens Creek Reservoir is a good place to try...any other places?

MB_Kevin
08-28-2005, 08:46 PM
I just got my traps I would like to know too. I also live in pacifica not too far from san jose. but I want some big ones. ;D

fishguts
08-28-2005, 09:10 PM
That is something I have wanted to do but wasn't sure about prep and care before freezing especially when I am camping.
Master Baiter, have you looked into putting them in pescadero creek above the town of pescadero?

SuperDave
08-29-2005, 06:19 AM
pikashy, I live in Sacramento and all the local irrigation canals are full of crawdads. I grew up in Cupertino, when it was still all orchards. If there is still any ag land to be found, ditches and irrigation canals are a great bet. Since you are using them for bait, we'll ignore the fact that the canal type wouldn't be healthy to eat.

DinoBlaster
08-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Just make sure your wearing you fishing license when you set your traps ;) Or bring them in, not many people know this :-/

wading2fish
08-29-2005, 11:13 AM
That is something I have wanted to do but wasn't sure about prep and care before freezing especially when I am camping.
Master Baiter, have you looked into putting them in pescadero creek above the town of pescadero?

I am also interested in crawdadding, but would also like to know more about preservation if I am to take them home and save them for another day of fishing. If anyone goes out to Pescadero Creek, be careful because most of the creek is off limits and posted as no trespassing private property.

w2f

Wolf74
08-29-2005, 01:42 PM
When I lived in SJ I used to catch crawdads in the Guadalupe river. They were all over the place except I used to catch them with a stick, line and a peice of ham tied to the end of it, lol.

dirtydan
08-29-2005, 01:55 PM
I was striper fishing a few weeks back in the Georgiana Slough and my buddy hauled in a crawdad on his pole - that thing held on all the way to the boat.

I here you can toss a trap out overnight in just about any slough with a can of dog food as bait (lid on - with holes poked in it) and in the morning you might have a crawdad party on board.

Wolf74
08-29-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm still afraid I'd get the cages stolen.

pikashy
08-29-2005, 03:47 PM
hmmm...right now i'm deciding between stevens creek reservoir and guadalupe river. i only have time for one spot, so any more input would be appreciated.

MB_Kevin
08-29-2005, 09:03 PM
I would want to do it at a place I can fish also. I think it would be a fun addition to camping or a days fishing trip. put out the traps and pick them up when you are done. Do people catch them during the day? If I was to put my trap out at about 1pm and pick them up around 8 or 9 could I have some in it or would I be wasting my time. or If I'm camping I would do the over night thing.

wading2fish
08-30-2005, 09:40 AM
I have fished the area where Georgiana Slough and the Mokulmne River congregate off the bank, over by Isleton. That area the current is not too strong, at least near the bank, and it seems to me that it would be a good area to toss out a trap. Masterbaiter, I would also be reluctant to throw out my trap overnight unless I was there to make sure it was not stolen. That would be an ideal situation where I could fish and toss out my trap at the same time. I could use the 'dads fresh if I caught any.

But now, supposing I was to bring the 'dads home and preserve them for a future fishing trip, what is the best preservation method? Can I just throw em in the freezer or do they need to be cooked/boiled or prepared any other way?

w2f

Wolf74
08-30-2005, 10:54 AM
I dunno I always heard catching mudbugs was an overnight thing.

dirtydan
08-30-2005, 11:08 AM
From what I've read - crawdads actively feed at night. You can get 'em during the day but should focus on well-shaded areas.

-DD

MB_Kevin
08-30-2005, 09:06 PM
From what I've read - crawdads actively feed at night. *You can get 'em during the day by should focus on well-shaded areas.

-DD
Thanks for the info it will help ;)

wetdog
09-03-2005, 05:13 AM
Try the creek that runs beyween San Jose & Los Gatos along side hwy 880 SURE THING ! GOOD LUCK ;)

jdogg
09-08-2005, 10:07 AM
try behind the dam at Vasona, when i was a kid we use to catch buttets full and BBQ them.

put_em_back
09-08-2005, 04:59 PM
I would second the creek next to the Campbell percolation ponds.

The creek out in Almaden valley was also really good. The best were the drainage ditches in Gilroy.

If you can find long grass or other vegitation in the water, its a good be the small guys are hiding in there.

We used to hold a net outside the grass in the water and someone else would walk through the grass and the dads would swim right into the net. Very easy and very quick.

Trout_Terminator
09-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Try Lake Natomas, throw a trap in there near the rocks for 1 hour, and you'll have 30 on them. use dog food with glow sticks.